Gemstone identification (Picture attached)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day folks.

Just wondering if anyone can help identify this stone. It's rather crumbly with a white outer layer, but has a brilliant blue underneath. This stuff is all over my girlfriends property in charters towers Qld.

Thanks.
1385457182_image.jpg

Hi ACTGold, Do the stones allow light to pass through them? When they crumble as you say, do they break along a reasonably clean line or do they break off in rounder crystal structures?

Jessiy said:
Hi ACTGold, Do the stones allow light to pass through them? When they crumble as you say, do they break along a reasonably clean line or do they break off in rounder crystal structures?

Gday Jessiy,

The stones break away cleanly through fracture lines that are riddled throughout the stones. Light passes through them, and the colour is closely matched to aquamarine.

I thought it may have been Blue Calcite. But the more I read about Calcite, the less likely it seems.

Any chance of getting a photo of them with light passing through? Might help to see the structure a bit better.