Some stones i found and had cut from outback W.A

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick question.... the area Im finding this is also in an area where topaz is known to be found. Some of the stuff i got was chipped out of what looked like a layer above and below of regular quartz and this stuff was clear with a sort of glow to it samwiched between it. Im now wondering if it is clear topaz? Is there a quick way to tell?

Specific Gravity, or Density, is a quick way to test. If you put either of those terms into the search panel on this site you will be directed to a very good description and method.

If the topaz is in it's crystal shape in as good condition as fhe quartz crystals then they are esy to tell apart. Quartz crystals are hexagonal in cross-section while topaz crystals are four-sided and the cross-section is typically diamond shaped. If quartz crystals have striations on the surface, they run across the crystal while topaz striations run along the length of the crystal.

While quartz is not exactly soft, topaz is harder again by some margain. Topaz will easily scratch quartz while you will have amore difficult time scratching topaz with quartz, exdept perhaps on the cleavage plane.

Topaz has perfect cleavage directly across the crystal, the same way quartz striations run. Quartz has no cleavage at all.

Topaz makes a very fine-looking gem, very bright and lively due to having a higher refractive index tha quartz. Topaz can sometimes pose challengesto polish but it makes a beautiful faceted stkne and I quite.ike cutting it.

I'll try and post some piccies of the two side by side and you'll see the difference.

Yes, and what Pat said as well - topaz has a higher specificgravity/relative density than quartz. It's heavier basically.

Took a bunch of photos, these arethe only two that will upload for some reason. But you can easily see the difference.

Quartz crystal cross-section.
1528881087_20180613_185826.jpg

Topaz crystal cross-section
1528881186_20180613_185923.jpg

Also, if the area was known for tin mining theres a decent chance that there will actually be topaz there. Topaz and tin seem to often go together for some reason and many of the topaz digging spots in far north QLD are old, worked out tin mining sites.

tailormarc said:
Quick question.... the area Im finding this is also in an area where topaz is known to be found. Some of the stuff i got was chipped out of what looked like a layer above and below of regular quartz and this stuff was clear with a sort of glow to it samwiched between it. Im now wondering if it is clear topaz? Is there a quick way to tell?

The feel of it on your skin...... apparently. Topaz conducts heat far better than quartz so will feel colder. Diamond more so.

I say apparently as I'm not convinced I can tell the difference but that maybe because of the ambient temp is so high here. :|

Mr Magoo said:
tailormarc said:

The feel of it on your skin...... apparently. Topaz conducts heat far better than quartz so will feel colder. Diamond more so.

I say apparently as I'm not convinced I can tell the difference but that maybe because of the ambient temp is so high here. :|

Yeah, I've never been able to pick it either that way.

Latest posts