What to do if you come across this in the bush!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NSW DPI has a storeroom full of Evidence. Scats, Pelts, Footprints.... Collected over the years and never to be released to the Public.... Several years ago they gave 2 fellows $$$ to search for 'These Things'.... And all their Evidence is in there too... :rolleyes:

LW....

Hubby and I were staying in Casterton Vic caravan park for a few weeks during winter about 1999.
Our van and annex was set up sort of creek side and the ammenities were opposite us about 50 metres away. Hubby went for a shower about 8 or 9 pm and walking back to the van in the dark he said he sensed a large animal rush passed him heading away from town letting out the deepest scariest warning growl he'd ever heard. He said he heard no footfalls from the creature and it had passed right near him and kept going but the growl was deep and menacing. Never saw a thing, just heard it. Said he was really glad it didn't eat him.

a long time ago, a feral cat was exterminated by a 222 remington, I went to retrieve the carcass held it up by the tail and its head was still just touching the ground, I am 5' 11" tall , so that might give you an idea of what you might see in a real wild feral cat perhaps by generations of breeding so along side my trusty rod should be my trusty 7mm remington magnum that will reach out to exterminate such a big black pussy be nice on the trophy wall next to a rainbow trout a real man cave talking piece found a huge cat skull in the hills behind wyangla dam and that other pussy was shot as the dam was under construction between frogmore and reids flat

casper said:
SCROUNGER said:
I've never seen an animal that has been spotlighted or photographed facing front on at night whose eyes don't light up red or silver or yellow. In that pic there is no eye flash at all. Not buying that pic personally.

I agree, it's fake

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...0281_screen_shot_2016-06-16_at_7.35.35_pm.png
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...0310_screen_shot_2016-06-16_at_7.36.54_pm.png
No its real. The stiffness is from rigormortis ;)

xcvator said:
Nothing wrong with "bunyips" they are very nice, I know, I was born there, Bunyip, that is :lol:

Back in the early 60's there were a spate of axe murders in the Dandenong/ Gippsland Region of Vic.
My father (small f because he was a xxxxk) used to tell us tales of the Bunyip as he intentionally drove slowly through the Bunyip township.....needle head!!

Your father sounds like a real piece of works Jaros. :N:

My take on the subject.
Over 40 years ago my footy coach who was real bushy told me had seen one (with other witnesses) in the Grampians area. Long before all of the hype.

Regarding the WW2 mascot story I was told that American airmen bought back a litter (not just one) of pumas from furlough back in the states but when they got them here they were ordered by a senior staff member to destroy them as they hadn't come through the right channels (quarantine) but they didn't have the heart & released them to the wild instead.

More recently I was told by two police officers that while travelling on a local country road late at night they both saw a "black panther" clearly & for quite a while in their headlights. They both agreed they wouldn't come forward with the claim as they feared ridicule by fellow officers.

And on the same road some time later a mate who is an ambo told me that one night he saw a huge black cat (he hadn't been told the story of the two coppers experience) & said he wouldn't report it for the same reasons (ridicule/disbelief).

All hearsay & no I haven't seen anything myself despite spending thousands of hours spot lighting for foxes in some wild country.
But I know & believe the word of the people who have seen ....something.

Rob.

Must have been prior to all Police and Ambo vehicles being fitted with dash cams, and the damn things got the memo on and no longer go hunting at night

Love the sense of humor you blokes have.
Tall tales and true make the Aussie bush even more mysterious.

Quickly told here's another one for you believers and non believers.
Ran into a bloke I hadn't seen for a few years and agreed to give him a hand cutting wood out local bush. We are both from the area and this very subject came up whilst we were chatting between loads. I told him my story (awaiting his reaction) and he barely flinched. The local Pharmacist once saw one years back and so we both take it for granted that many of the locals for that reason alone are open to the idea of big cats roaming around. It does get a few stories going in these quiet one on one moments. Noone wants to be thought of as a kook or nut job.

Any way he tells me about his great uncle (who I knew of) who after much ridicule stopped talking about what is a well publicized sighting. Before then I had no idea he was the guy. Story goes his uncle was driving home one evening a literally ran into one. He had a bit of speed up and took it down one side of the ute, got spooked and continued home shaken. In daylight the next day he went back to the spot (skid marks still on the road) searched around and came up empty handed.

Now this old bloke keeps it kinda quiet but word gets out and without even knowing the bloke more than a few locals can't or won't believe the story and dismiss him calling him all sorts of things. He promptly stops talking about it for a couple decades (at least up until a couple years ago) and eventually the story dies off.

Funny thing is he still has the photos of the ute damage, a written account of the night including a sketch he drew, and.....unbelievable as it sounds...hair from the animal in question.

At this point I'm sitting there kinda dumbstruck. I ask if his uncle would talk about it show me any of his stuff and his reply was basically yes but that the old boy was still pretty upset at being thought of badly that he'd probably take some convincing. I've since asked after and have yet to make a time to go see him in person but we've chatted on the phone a couple times. He's pretty cagey about the whole incident and it's not really my place to state publicly some of the things he's been good enough to share.

That said there's two important things to note here. He's promised to pass on his information and everything he has from the night once he goes to trusted family so the story might be told properly after he's gone.

The other thing is the animal in question. I'm certain he's certain what he encountered was not a puma, panther, or any other "feline" animal, instead very possibly, a remnant beast thought long gone from these shores.I won't really comment any further than to accept he at least is fairly sure what he believed it to be, as for me, I look forward to the day his samples are finally sent for testing just to give his encounter a final chapter whatever the outcome. Safe to say I've got an open mind about it all, this story, and many others.

That pic IS A Fake... Been well and truly proven several years ago... Have a look at the angle of the front paw... Then have a look at the front paw on the one under the Guy's arm.... Same Stuffed Panther... They even admitted it was staged....

Your story Hotrob, aligns with what I have been told by some Retired US Pilots who were stationed Here at the time... :Y:

LW...

The Bealiba beast has been rumoured for as long as my memory goes back ...................... and they are still looking for it. :eek:

An open mind is a very good thing and not believing all you see or hear is also. ;)
I've lived in, camped in, flown over and experienced a few remote wild areas in my time so far, and I personally would find it saddening if there weren't undiscovered species of plants, insects, animals etc in those places.
A common theme to some of those places, is that the few people that live there are not connected to the internet and also are very tight lipped on what they see and know until you make friends with them and gain some trust.
I find the concept of big cats roaming around the vast, rugged Blue Mountains area fascinating and given the spread of "human development" across the planet, I like to believe that it is possible they exist :cool: 8)

Billy said:
I was camping down on the Cox's River a few weeks ago and while I didn't see anything like this, I did see some very rugged country.......

https://pickle.nine.com.au/2018/06/12/09/22/black-panther-sighting-fuels-big-cat-urban-legend

I keep an open mind ;)

If you can't or don't shoot it just look for foot print's and photograph with a scale recognisable object (yeah I know print's can be forged) and hopefully find shed hair to test by DNA. I'm the same as you Billy, I keep an open mind I've seen some big feral cat's as big as staffies and built like brick shit house cat's. I'll truly believe once I see a body to scale against a recognisable object.

Latest posts