Camping spots NT - Katherine to Darwin

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys just keen to see if anyone can recommend a decent camping spot in the top end between Darwin and Katherine ?

We have wiki camps but most of the spots are road side or no dogs, plus van parks booked out or expensive. Were well set up to free camp solar / AMG but dont mind paying for spots. We love station stays and the rural type spots.
Just keen to see what else is about TIA.

There's a caravan park behind the Tavern near Cooroboree Billabong that was ok, can't remember whether it was pet friendly though . Big burgers and an excellent tour out to the billabong

Bridge creek has a basic camp spot, about 60km south of Adelaide river, 1@1/2 hrs north of Katherine.
Its on the Stuart hwy, and can be busy with grey nomads coming and going.
I have a few sneaky spots as well.
If you are going looking for gold, maybe stay at grove hill pub, its very run down, but I reckon you will be able to camp there and get some good tips on the gold. Always a few nice nuggets for sale there to, have a look at them to get you keen.

Im looking at doing a bit of panning in some of the dry creek beds near hayes creek anybody had any luck.. also looking at Google Earth and being an amatuer i thought some places around douglas hotsprings area looked alright..im not sure if the wayside inn is up and running so will probably bush camp

There's a bit around Hayes crk, but I've never panned the creeks.
Check out the old diggings, and work the run offs up hill.
Do a couple of sample pans, if you get some colour, grab a couple of buckets, and pan it off in a creek.

Goldchaser1 said:
Policemans waterhole out kurinellie ways a nice spot,worth a look.....

But not between Darwin and Katherine!
Its a thousand km south!

I have got a bit of colour from depo creek near Hayes creek. I would either try around pine creek or around bridge creek.
If you try bridge creek then stay in the road verge.

Depot creek is one of (was one of) the top ends best kept secrets, beautiful spot, like a mini Katherine gorge.

In regards to camping , if you are looking for reasonable powered sites ,

In 2011 I stayed at Adelaide River Showgrounds / racecourse it was about $25 per night for power

Also at Pine creek - stayed at Pussycat Flats ( racecourse ) was also $25 per night with power

I think emerald springs has camp sites as well as Hayes creek.
Emerald springs is much nicer though, great food and management.

davent said:
Goldchaser1 said:
Policemans waterhole out kurinellie ways a nice spot,worth a look.....

But not between Darwin and Katherine!
Its a thousand km south!

he probably drove past,yeah bit south but a hell of a spot,if he was interested im sure he could work out where it is......

Latest posts