Land restrictions in Dja Dja Wurrung parks plan Bendigo

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well this will all but destroy prospecting and 4WD activities around Bendigo.
Not sure what to think as I agree the Indigenous people got a shitty deal in the past and need to get something back,but this kinda pisses me off.
https://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.a...t-land-restrictions-in-indigenous-plan/?cs=80

The Dja Dja Wurrung Parks Joint Management Plan proposes to restrict uses in 3600 hectares of the Bendigo park, 678 hectares of the Kooyoora State Park and 6426 hectares of the Kara Kara National Park to protect cultural sites and remediate the land.

Areas of three other state parks are also included in the plan.

Uses such as prospecting and four-wheel-driving will be restricted in these areas to ensure significant sites are protected.

Quote from article said:
Branch president Bill Schulz said they wanted to work together with the Dja Dja Wurrung board of management to help manage the land, but believed they had been excluded from the process.

Always a challenge :N:. I respect aboriginal people and their culture but this smells of a green agenda to me. If this gets passed the flood gates are open imo.

I respect them and their culture too but if the government keeps handing everything back to them there will be nothing left for anyone...... Most of the land handbacks have been done very poorly and half probably were probably never the claimants traditional land to start with.

Just my opinion.

I don't think handing back large areas of land is the way to go about it, we are all Australian and should all be able to use such land equally.

I remember reading in I can't remember what book it was, and it was probably extremely biased coming from gold rush reports, that the local indigenous groups only used the Whipstick as a way point on their way to other locations and never actually lived there as it was no good for water and hunting.

I've no doubt there would have been sacred sites or simple but invaluable landmarks used for navigation.
And those sites should be protected if still intact.

But restricting over half the Whipstick and other areas is only going to create a bigger devide and more "us VS them" situations that won't help anyone in long-term.

PMAV should have been included in the discussions and it's a bit of a slap in the face and proof that PMAV just don't have the political teeth to have any affect.

Or am I just a biased prospector and seeing this all wrong?

Not sure where all this is heading ...... and fail to see why they didn't exercise their passion for 'traditional lands' and sacred sites' when local councils/shires carved up public land for sale as small bush 'allotments'.

First it's born-again greenies looking for their piece of bush paradise to set up house and lock us out of and now our indigenous brothers want to lock us out (or allow access under their terms & conditions) of the remainder of the old goldfields.

Victoria is one of the few if only states where prospecting is still half viable and not over restricted or land inaccessible compared to other states so it would naturally be great to keep it that way ..... is the PMAV a toothless tiger ..... I for one can't criticise as I know how difficult it is to run a volunteer organisation with little real interest from the people that it should be benefiting (sadly me included, I pay my m'ship but that's about all). I had stated previously (to the PMAV) that they need to have their name 'out in lights' in the goldfields so that PMAV becomes a known identifier with the areas. Simple signage at the 'entrance' to popular areas reminding us to "fill our holes" or at puddler sites noting them as "protected/digging prohibted" areas would ingrain their name to anyone that passes.

Will the CFA etc now have to seek permission to enter and carry out planned burns ... I'm sure there are many built on bush allotments next to these proposed 'traditional' sites and wonder whether they could become liable, if they restrict CFA access, and a disaster occurs, just as the power companies were.

We live in crazy times of political correctness going overboard, rewriting nursery rhymes, traffic lights with women instead of little green men, gender neutral terms, 'golliwogs' being outlawed etc etc etc.

Rant over ..... will just enjoy what I can at the moment and hope common sense will eventually rule.

This is from PMAV facebook 19 May

I have been reading the Draft Joint Management Plan for the Dja Dja Wurrung Parks and I am not happy. This Plan is to replace all existing Park Management Plans for Greater Bendigo National Park, Kooyoora State Park, Kara Kara National Park, Wehla Conservation Reserve and Hepburn Regional Park.
Prospectors lose all round. If this new Management Plan is accepted then we will lose prospecting access to:
another 3,600 hectares (21%) of Bendigo NP,
another 40 hectares (2%) of P...
See more

Why the hell didnt PMAV mention any of this in the forums?
Not everyone is on facebook.

Members of PMAV or not we cant help if we dont know whats going on.

It was put on 4umer last month:
http://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t25983-up-coming-changes-to-state-national-and-regional-parks
There were public meetings last month & there is a link to an online survey + submissions closing 19th June 2018.
As with most of these type of posts on forums there was a weak reaction with only a handful of people even bothering to respond. Seems most don't care until it's too late unfortunately LC.
Don't know why it wasn't posted on here where there is far more traffic/banter from Victorian fossickers/prospectors?
IMO the Greens will use the Cultural + Heritage angles more & more as there is not enough backbone in their environmental argument. I wouldn't be surprised to see more of it happening Australia wide to be honest. :N:

My two cents worth, Normally. It's about money. someone wants the area for something. Otherwise why do it.

This subjects not getting much of a response.
Is that because not enough people can see it?
Or is it not enough people understand the title?

Or not enough feel like they can do anything about it?
I'm a little confused why this isn't bigger news.

I think that is because people don't want to comment because it could be seen as being racial against Indigenous people
and then this thread would go down hill very quick and cause a lot of ill feelings between everybody
Just my thoughts

Thank You.
Much appreciated. :Y: :Y:
7.62marksman said:
I think that is because people dont want to comment because it could be seen as being ratial against Indigenous people
and then this thread would go down hill very quick and cause a lot of ill feelings between everybody
Just my thoughts

The Greens movement are specifically targeting Indigenous groups in Victoria.
1 as a way to push their conservation agenda and
2 to gain support from and ally them selves with Indigenous people and organisations.
They have tried to do this with our local Indigenous land council here, but since the locals are much more orginised and have a lot more control over the lands in the area , very little of which is state or nationals parks etc the Greens really have little to offer in the way of lobbying influence and stratergies to offer the local land council..
The targeting of large tracts of state and Nationals parks in Victoria, is a very cunning way to restict the use of the land by the majority and yet still apear to the general public that the Greenies are championing the cause of the Indegenous. Unfortunatly what the Greens are doing is using one group with in society to usurp the rights of others..
Its a very smart move by them to exploit a minority to restrict the majority and claim they are motivated by a noble cause..
Typical marxist tactic.

My biggest concern would be that the currently open areas are closed off to later be declared as non-used areas that can be developed for housing, business parks etc.
I have seen this happen on a number of occasions and feel that this could be another way for certain government sectors to restrict access so that they can rezone the areas for other uses.

I forgot to add.

I do support legitimate native title grants and do support aboriginal groups; however, for land grabs etc. I do not support. I would expect to see significant evidence confirming sites of significance. If this cannot be provided, then sorry, it would be considered a land grab. Also most sites are quite small in area and those areas could be appropriately protected without the need to close off the entire area or large portions of the area. Most people I know are also interested in visiting legitimate sites, so as to both pay respect to the sites but also help protect them.

i'm not sure how i feel about this one, i've seen indigenous management takeovers have great results and some poor ones. I think the current push is to be the custodians meaning they get to decide what's right for the area from a land management point of view. as with most processes there should be a process of communication with the stakeholders (us, bike riders, 4wders etc) excluding people from the plan is a concern.

If its anything like what happened on the qld nsw border they basically took a strip of land let it grow out of control and it became a dumping ground for cars etc,. flip side ive seen burns that should be done only be done because of indigenous management where the council dont have the balls to do it.

lets hope an amicable outcome is reached. we all know theres damage to our bush and some management is great

Latest posts