Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info guys ..
Im also considering adding a new coil to my 4500 which I bought just on a year ago this queens birthday long weekend.
I have only ever used the stock mono coil that came with it and I recon its done all right for me in finding a few bits here and there in the G.T W.A and S.Town .. have to look for a 2nd hand bargain when they come up , as I wont be able to buy any thing new for a while with financing the travels of my two kids. :(
:Y:

Hi all,
I have recently purchased a second hand 4500 and I was thinking about getting another coil?
The current commander coils that I have are the 11" and the 15"X12" both Mono and the 11" DD.
Both Mono coils look pretty banged up but appear to me (a novice) to be working ok.

So my question is do the coils lose sensitivity over the years ?
Do I need to start saving up for new coils?

P.S they coils will be used in the VIC GT.

Thanks in advance
Rob

RobbieMVFC said:
Hi all,
I have recently purchased a second hand 4500 and I was thinking about getting another coil?
The current commander coils that I have are the 11" and the 15"X12" both Mono and the 11" DD.
Both Mono coils look pretty banged up but appear to me (a novice) to be working ok.

So my question is do the coils lose sensitivity over the years ?
Do I need to start saving up for new coils?

P.S they coils will be used in the VIC GT.

Thanks in advance
Rob

No they don't loose sensitivity, They either work or they stop working or they keep working but develop a fault, If yours are working then they should be fine.

Hi all,

Just interested to know what the general
consensus is with regard to whether people are running gain above or below their respective stability settings. Im a GPX 4500 user and have had luck with both.

Thanks

I've also had luck with both.
I generally try and run as hot as possible.
I try and have as high a gain as I can.
Sometimes I have had gain 9 stab 7 same spot, different day I've had gain 9 stab 12../..

I've had bad emi around bridge crk all year round.
Margret diggings not to bad, but extremely hot ground in patches. Grove hill area is good, and Katherine area also very good if you can get access.
You in Darwin?

Hi Dave are you still allowing access to Margaret diggings? You let me in there a few years ago.

Norrs, yes you are, still need the paperwork though.
I think you think I'm another Dave, Dave Langley used to have the lease, nice guy, but not at all well these days. He has handed the lease back to the NY govt on condition they make it a public fossicking area, still pending ATM.

Oh your the other Dave. Yes sorry, too many Dave's :) Hmm so who do I get permission through then? NTG?

DaveNT, yes I am in Darwin. Will give your settings a go over the coming week and see if I have better results. Thanks mate.

Hi Pete. The target signal can be a hint to the depth of the target. If the tone goes from a high tone to a low tone the target is shallow. If low to high the target is deeper. You can reverse these settings. So check. But in the end you cant tell between gold and led. If someone knows how to please dont keep it a secret.

PJG said:
Hi Pete. The target signal can be a hint to the depth of the target. If the tone goes from a high tone to a low tone the target is shallow. If low to high the target is deeper.

Hi PJG, I'm also of the understanding that an 'inverted' signal (low to high) refers to size of the target, for example a solid piece of gold or lead is generally a hi/low signal when under 2g (or thereabouts) and will be a low/high signal when over 2g (or thereabouts) depending on shape and the way it's laying.

So far the only low/high targets I've detected have been larger iron trash, larger solid musket balls etc, all my gold to date have been sub 1g even at depth of 9"
and yep agree there's no way to tell difference between gold and lead signals, found some good musket balls at depth under tree roots that had my heart racing on several occasions.

PhaseTech said:
Yes so many good coils and all have different uses

8" Detech mono - for very tight areas, very good emi immunity, very sensitive and stable in hot ground

14x9 Evo - the closest thing you'll get to SDC style sensitivity, but also may struggle in hotter soils, but nothing a few setting tweaks can't fix, eg Sens Smooth

11" Detech Ultra - sits exactly in between the 14x9 and 12" Evo in depth/sensitivity. Runs great on the 4500.

12" Evo - brilliant all-rounder. Sweet spot is all the bread n butter gold, 0.2 - 2 gram range.

15" Evo or 15" Detech Super Deep mono - both of these are excellent and turn your GPX into a true powerhouse, and similar to a gpz in the sense that you can get small and deeper gold all with the one coil.

17x13 Evo - awesome patch coil. Very light (especially the spoked version), sharp signals, good depth. I prefer this to the 15" rounds when scouting virgin ground.

15" Detech Ultimate DD - excellent utility coil. For areas where your monos may be struggling a bit with emi or unusual ground conditions. Also when intending to use the full depth timings of Normal or Sens Extra.

Great post thanks. Im struggling to find anything but bullets and shot. I wonder if a new coil will help, or just confuse. Im just running the standard Command it came with. Thinking of a 14.

Lostnfound, what a bigger coil will do is cover more ground, so be prepared to do more walking..The big coils are great for covering the ground, but that comes at a cost, heavier to swing, harder to pin point , more so with round coils..Small coils are good for a poke around..You May defiantly need a bigger coil at times, but each coil has its place ..The more ground you can cover will increase your chances..Its just a matter of walking over it ..I would find a bit with the 11 inch first just to get your confidence up..keep dign..

Latest posts