Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Manpa said:
Would the shoe thief be Alexander Pearce, Port Arthur escapee and suspected cannibal?

He didn't escape from Port Arthur, he escaped from Sarah Island. Twice
He wasn't suspected of being a cannibal, he was. Twice. The first time they thought he was making it up to cover up for his fellow escapees still eing on the loose. But the second time he had body parts in his pockets.
And, most importantly as far as the clues go, he was English, not Irish.

cml said:
Manpa said:
Would the shoe thief be Alexander Pearce, Port Arthur escapee and suspected cannibal?

He wasn't suspected of being a cannibal, he was. Twice. The first time they thought he was making it up to cover up for his fellow escapees still eing on the loose. But the second time he had body parts in his pockets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Pearce

Now that we know he was born in County Monaghan, Ireland, we just have to find out who his brother was. :D

Cheers

Doug

Rockhunter62 said:
cml said:
Manpa said:

Now that we know he was born in County Monaghan, Ireland, we just have to find out who his brother was. :D

Cheers

Doug

OK, wrong about the English bit, whoops! I thought I had read that recently (when looking for answers to this). So Pearce IS a good suspect for shoe thief, escapee and Irish villager (though needing to narrow it down a bit from 'County Monaghan')

cml said:
OK, I am going to guess Alexander Pearce and Father Philip Conolly, both born in County Monaghan, but I can't find mention of what villages.

That's the people I was looking for :Y:

Pearce was naughty boy and was sent to Sarah Island ( a particularly savage prison ) he and several others escaped, he was recaptured after 49 days in the wilderness of Van Diemen's land.
Conolly was the priest that heard his final confession and was, apparently so disgusted with what he heard that he could hardly give Pearce the final absolution

Your go again CML

cml said:
Rockhunter62 said:
cml said:
Manpa said:

Cheers

Doug

OK, wrong about the English bit, whoops! I thought I had read that recently (when looking for answers to this). So Pearce IS a good suspect for shoe thief, escapee and Irish villager (though needing to narrow it down a bit from 'County Monaghan')

That's the part I haven't been able to do, I can find a lot of convicts / bushrangers / pulpit errors etc by county but can't come up with the village connection. Ah well more research to be done. :) :)

Both good guesses - they fit the clues, but wrong century :)

It would seem that she was the brains of the outfit
The power behind the throne.
An explorer and sponsor of exploration.

How about Lady Jane Franklin

Lady Jane Franklin
The trailblazer traveller
Lady Jane Franklin travelled extensively in the 1800s.
PUBLIC DOMAIN
Born in England in 1791, Janes life took a turn when she married Arctic explorer John Franklin. Travelling to Tasmania (then Van Diemans Land) in 1836 with her husband, Jane became a prolific traveller, visiting South Australia and New Zealand, travelling between Sydney and Melbourne and completing the overland journey to Macquarie Harbour on Tasmanias west coast.
While these trips may seem tame by modern standards, it was highly unusual for a woman to cover those distances in the early 1800s. As a well-to-do woman, Janes travels and desire for social progress (including womens rights) set her apart from the rest. After returning to England, Janes husband went missing and was presumed dead while undertaking a polar expedition. Jane funded several expeditions to recover his body and continued her travels, visiting Hawaii, India and Japan.

Cheers

Doug

Kerrect.

She is remembered for many things, and has an art gallery and an educational institution named after her.
He has a statue and park in central Hobart and is best remembered for losing two ships, and getting himself and the two crews (total about 129) killed. Additionally, according to wikipedia even more ships were lost and people died trying to find him.

Latest posts