QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reg Wilson said:
Bogger, I am always happy to offer advice on what I know in relation to the QED. I for one do not heap abuse, but will fight back when abuse is directed at me.

Reg as you have addressed this directly to me, only in politeness do I reply. All are well aware of what has been said in the past and I will not be drawn back into it ................... time and a place bloke, and this is certainly not either.
Info on the QED, happy to know as I'm sure any others with an interest in one also would be. :Y: Just haggling over the final price on one at this time and in honesty here, it's what I may lose in reselling if it's not suitable, being the major factor in what I'm prepared to originally pay. Will make a decision today regards this.
Something I was not aware of Reg and you may be able to answer, is that the seller has informed me he has just paid $220 for machine upgrade ? I thought upgrades on the machine were free ? Just so no mistake here, this is what seller has informed me and hence why I ask the question?

I may be speaking through my ass but he's just paid for an upgrade not an update.. I've been offered free updates however it doesn't include free freight. Which I believe is fair. What I believe you're gentleman is talking about is a new front and back plate to upgrade from pl 1 to pl2. I believe this is needed for the auto ground balance update. :)

Cando said:
I may be speaking through my ass but he's just paid for an upgrade not an update.. I've been offered free updates however it doesn't include free freight. Which I believe is fair. What I believe you're gentleman is talking about is a new front and back plate to upgrade from pl 1 to pl2. I believe this is needed for the auto ground balance update. :)

Cando I think your spot on there thank you very much. Have just asked reason for selling as curious as to why considering just had it upgraded to a pl2 :eek:

100% correct Cando. No talking thru ya ass there :lol:
The software/firmware updates are available free of charge but you need to pay for postage (the QED box can be packed small & posted reasonably cheaply).
If you want to upgrade by changing configuration or have an earlier one upgraded to include something like the AGB button then there is a fairly small cost to cover parts & labour.
It's the main thing that really makes the QED appealing to me & remote software/firmware updates would be even better if possible down the track.

After a discussion with owner of advertised QED, he has confirmed it was the upgrade he indeed did pay for. He also did mention that the coiltek coil he was running was rather noisy on the QED. Might put the idea on hold for a bit until some issues have been ironed out.

Yes it does seem particular with some coils which can get expensive if using trial & error. Really need to trust other users feedback on what works for them.
Didn't happen to be a beige Coiltek coil?

Bogger,

Perhaps you could offer to purchase the unit minus the coil and fit your own as required?

Just a thought

Graeme

Mbasko .................. no he didn't elaborate on anything more than just Coiltek brand, but did say Detech 11" was the best for the QED ? I got the impression this came from Stinky Pete's recommendation ?

Pogmahon machine was advertised without coils so that would have had to be the option in any case.

Machine has been sold at this stage and seller did say he took a big loss .................. over $1200 in fact :eek: This is the main reason I'm trying to find a second hand unit at the right price :Y:

mbasko said:
Another video. This one from the manufacturer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUyfvHr8ObA

Have read much negativity in regards to Rick's QED videos as well in regards to this particular tester and how he moved the coil over the ground instead of from swinging from side to side overlapping as much as possible during his test video.

After browsing through some YouTube vidoes on the net I found this video and hopefully I am allowed to post it here as well as mbasko did with the Mgnetic ground video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7khNYQNKEnc

The fella doing the same thing in regards to his coil swing. After 12,000 plus views nothing mentioned on how wrong his coil swing was even though the purpose of the video was in regards to settings.

As far as I can see in the QED magnetic ground video he was talking about settings as well and a way he thought of using a particular set of settings over the type of ground in his video.

I'm sure there are more experienced operators than myself, however, i'd say that it's a very forgiving machine to set up. I run the 11" Detech Mono on mine in Mode 3, Gain depending on conditions at the time (can get a little chirpy if running on 4 or higher). Increase the Mode and you can run the gain higher also, however, i believe you also lose sensitivity. Bias (THS B) is a personal thing i feel and i run pretty close to null but sometimes lower a couple of points to say .......48. This will give me the mildest of threshold and occasionally i swing over my boot to confirm its listening! Volume (THS A) i leave at factory default (30) as i run the RS-160 wireless headphones and can get plenty of volume as it is. Ground Balance is particularly forgiving as you just have to listen to the tonal response as you pump and chase it incrementally until you find the sweet spot. The AGB is for me useless and although i've been instructed how to operate it correctly, i cannot get it to GB the machine at all...... 90% of the time the machine runs quiet and only gives me feedback if i hit a target. I've found shotgun pellets as deep as 5-6" with no problems hearing the signal at all. Still looking for my 1st piece of gold but i dont blame the QED for that as i had a GoldMonster 1000 previously and didnt find a speck! Early days and learning as i go.

My comments on setup are pretty broad and obviously ive tried various modes and other variables, what I've stated above is only my opinion of course and there have been some interesting posts recently on alternative tuning practices. Especially running Mode 8 and cranking the Gain up accordingly, i havent had a chance to put this into practice as yet but always open minded about these ideas.

Finally i'd like to say that the QED is a well priced and well behaved machine. I'm happy with mine and willing to give it a fair chance in my search for the elusive gold.

Cheers Graeme.

Bogger said:
Edited as just not worth the shite fight that's sure to follow. :/

Man up and leave your post on the forum, i didnt think it was that contentious and took the time to reply to it only to find it's been withdrawn.

Graeme

Pogmahon said:
Bogger said:
Edited as just not worth the shite fight that's sure to follow. :/

Man up and leave your post on the forum, i didnt think it was that contentious and took the time to reply to it only to find it's been withdrawn.

Graeme
Graeme please explain ? What is it exactly that I need to man up about ? I also see no edit in your post, so fail to see how you took the time to reply to it as you have stated ?

Isn't it funny, once again no matter what you post about this QED ................ a full on debate follows. :D :D :D

So you get a debate if you comment and one if you don't .................... meanwhile I'll just hop along and take a few cups of cement so I can man up :lol:

Pogmahon, glad you are enjoying using your QED. It is different to other brands of detectors, but the ones who have managed to adapt to it get results, as a number of prospectors who have contacted me have attested. You are no doubt aware there is a concerted effort in certain circles to vilify this detector, especially on one other forum where the whole purpose of that forum appears to be the denigration of the QED. Despite the efforts of some, the QED is daily gaining acceptance as a capable and very competitively priced pulse induction detector.
As far as coils are concerned I favor the Coiltek Elite, although it is noisier than some of the others, it does have good penetration, and is sensitive on the edge, making pinpointing a little easier. I have recently had a play with a really big hand built mono coil on the QED and was blown away with how it performed. It was not difficult to tune and ran very smooth and stable. My favorite production large coils are the Detech 18" and the Nuggetfinder 25". Both of these coils are very light and run smoothly.

Reg Wilson said:
Pogmahon, glad you are enjoying using your QED. It is different to other brands of detectors, but the ones who have managed to adapt to it get results, as a number of prospectors who have contacted me have attested. You are no doubt aware there is a concerted effort in certain circles to vilify this detector, especially on one other forum where the whole purpose of that forum appears to be the denigration of the QED. Despite the efforts of some, the QED is daily gaining acceptance as a capable and very competitively priced pulse induction detector.
As far as coils are concerned I favor the Coiltek Elite, although it is noisier than some of the others, it does have good penetration, and is sensitive on the edge, making pinpointing a little easier. I have recently had a play with a really big hand built mono coil on the QED and was blown away with how it performed. It was not difficult to tune and ran very smooth and stable. My favorite production large coils are the Detech 18" and the Nuggetfinder 25". Both of these coils are very light and run smoothly.

Reg, Do you use some kind of harness type thing when running those big coils ?.

RR.

Reg post the vid up, would be interested to see how it goes as all the owner / users I have spoken with say the set up and getting it to run smooth is their main gripe with it ? :Y: Had the cup of cement and now happy to post with nothing contentious :Y:

It's ok found it on Utube .................... certainly runs smooth, not a squawk out of it ? Guess comes in handy also if you wanna find ya mate hey ? :rolleyes:
So I can glean from this that the QED is a Quality Equipment Detector but what about gold ;) As they say ............... show me the money shot ? All I have been trying to ascertain for weeks now, is does it work or not, as there are certainly a lot of very conflicting reports about ?

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/AcjghD5KLpw[/video]

Rush said:
mbasko said:
Another video. This one from the manufacturer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUyfvHr8ObA

Have read much negativity in regards to Rick's QED videos as well in regards to this particular tester and how he moved the coil over the ground instead of from swinging from side to side overlapping as much as possible during his test video.

After browsing through some YouTube vidoes on the net I found this video and hopefully I am allowed to post it here as well as mbasko did with the Mgnetic ground video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7khNYQNKEnc

The fella doing the same thing in regards to his coil swing. After 12,000 plus views nothing mentioned on how wrong his coil swing was even though the purpose of the video was in regards to settings.

As far as I can see in the QED magnetic ground video he was talking about settings as well and a way he thought of using a particular set of settings over the type of ground in his video.
Been a long day & don't know if I'm reading that as some type of shot at me or not but firstly the GPX video really has no place on this thread about the QED? Why would I or anyone else comment on it or his coil swing here?
Secondly in the QED magnetic ground video he may be talking about a particular set of settings but it seemed to me from the spurious noises that those settings aren't ideal. Yes maybe I should not have been so critical of his swing as there are other issues too IMO. After nearly 12 months using mine on similar ground I think I have a right to comment without offending someone - it's only my opinion as a user. I only commented because I don't think that it shows the QED in as good a light as it could be shown. I think I'll just keep my observations & thoughts on the QED to myself from here.
I don't shoot video & won't be shooting any QED video so I'll refrain from comment on them from here too.
Obviously better operators on here & elsewhere to help people with it.

P.s Final word:
Bogger - yes I've found that the Detech 11" Ultra Sensing Mono works well on the QED & yes Pogmahon, for what it's worth if anything, I use very similar settings with it bar my Threshold B is more likely to be closer to null + Threshold A at 40. (Mode 3, Gain 4 or 5 if possible). Have found some small, shallow gold down to 0.2grams & smaller (didn't bother weighing them) at that & deeper gram plus bits too with it.

Thanks mbasko and your honesty appreciated as was the honesty of the seller of the machine I looked at on Gumtree. Contrary to what some may think, one is simply trying to find out about this machine .................. be it good or bad? Only thru users such as yourself and Davent who had one, have I been able to get any honest and unbiased feedback from. The machine may well be good, but the politics that surround it may well kill it from where I stand as a consumer.

Latest posts