DIY backpack sluice for under $20!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushranger

Paul
Reaction score
This is my attempt at a small river sluice made from scraps I've collected over the last month. Dimensions: 700mm/ 210mm/ 75mm. Fits in my backpack with the tip of the flair sticking out the top. The only thing I had to buy was the matting and some bolts and wing-nuts.
1384670050_image.jpg

The 1/4 inch bolt at the bottom holds the bread crate down and attaches some dowel I've cut for legs if needed. Used clear plastic tubing over the sharp edges of the gal so it's safer for the kids to use. Still need some expanded mesh....but refuse to buy it. I'll find some somewhere.
1384670276_image.jpg

Very creative BR.

I'm no expert at building Sluices, but on first sight I was thinking it would require a lot of water flow to clear out the bread crate, however it looks like you've compensated with the extra wide flare. I'd be interested in knowing how it performs when you get a chance to take it for a test spin.

Taking it to Nundle this weekend. I'll see if I can make a video. Tested it out with a bucket if dirt from uralla. Just hosed it through. It did clog up a bit but captured all the flower gold. I panned the dregs and found nothing.

Great build mate, Only got to find .5 grams and you got your $20 back. With the right flow and slope it will clear easily.

Thanks Balx. Can't wait to try it out in the field. With the left over scraps I can make another one with riffles and v matting. That might suit less flow!?

great build Bushranger, nothing like hiking in to a good spot with light gear and coming back with some heavies :) If I could make one recommendation open up some of those single squares in your crate pattern you will reduce clog ups significantly.

Tested it out in Nundle over the weekend. Clogged up even with the river raging. Got through about 2/3 of a bucket before having to clean out. Captured some gold though!

Bushranger said:
Tested it out in Nundle over the weekend. Clogged up even with the river raging. Got through about 2/3 of a bucket before having to clean out. Captured some gold though!

Bugger... and YAY.
Must be very satisfying to catch gold with something you created yourself.

Bushranger said:

mate that shouldn't happen with your design even if you haven't cut out any more sections you should be able to get 5 buckets through with no problems.

Have you dialed a sluice in before? if not here's a few simple tips that make it easy for me when i setup a sluice box

• Find an area where you can allow 2-4 inches or drop- sometimes water flow dictates more of less [/*]

• Once you've got your drop create a level platform for your sluice box at the top end - no point sending all of your material to one side[/*]

• Hopefully you've got good depth of water to wash your rocks, a good height is your riffle height + 2-3 times - (in your case crate pattern 2 inches works well)[/*]
  • When you have your flat platform and you think you've got the above all correct you need to pivot your sluice to conform with the water flow - You are looking for a V shape that is uniform and creates a line straight down the middle of your box. (see picture below)[/*]

• You will want to anchor your sluice down and make sure it doesn't move around whilst processing material so plonk a big flat rock on top or use your V flare by wedging rocks in each side.[/*]

• Throw some soft material into your box and watch what is does... did it move through the box or go straight down, did it move backwards towards the riffles and hold or spread out. All things that can be adjust by water volume. [/*]

• From here you should be able to adjust your water flow by adding rocks to the underside of your flair which will cause water to jump into the box rather than go underneath it, also adding more rocks channeling water into the sluice box from the sides works wonders. [/*]
  • With a riffle design sluice box you want to see your material move up the box with a crate pattern the same applies accept you shuld see material dancing in between your squares if its not active then it wont catch your gold. [/*]

Everything is trial and error until you've got it nailed with a bit of tweaking pitch and water volume you'll work out what works in thick water and what works in a trickle then you can feed with confidence. now go get some GolD! :p

1385331894_20131115_164824.jpg

G0lddigg@ said:
Bushranger said:

mate that shouldn't happen with your design even if you haven't cut out any more sections you should be able to get 5 buckets through with no problems.

Have you dialed a sluice in before? if not here's a few simple tips that make it easy for me when i setup a sluice box

• Find an area where you can allow 2-4 inches or drop- sometimes water flow dictates more of less [/*]

• Once you've got your drop create a level platform for your sluice box at the top end - no point sending all of your material to one side[/*]

• Hopefully you've got good depth of water to wash your rocks, a good height is your riffle height + 2-3 times - (in your case crate pattern 2 inches works well)[/*]
  • When you have your flat platform and you think you've got the above all correct you need to pivot your sluice to conform with the water flow - You are looking for a V shape that is uniform and creates a line straight down the middle of your box. (see picture below)[/*]

• You will want to anchor your sluice down and make sure it doesn't move around whilst processing material so plonk a big flat rock on top or use your V flare by wedging rocks in each side.[/*]

• Throw some soft material into your box and watch what is does... did it move through the box or go straight down, did it move backwards towards the riffles and hold or spread out. All things that can be adjust by water volume. [/*]

• From here you should be able to adjust your water flow by adding rocks to the underside of your flair which will cause water to jump into the box rather than go underneath it, also adding more rocks channeling water into the sluice box from the sides works wonders. [/*]
  • With a riffle design sluice box you want to see your material move up the box with a crate pattern the same applies accept you shuld see material dancing in between your squares if its not active then it wont catch your gold. [/*]

Everything is trial and error until you've got it nailed with a bit of tweaking pitch and water volume you'll work out what works in thick water and what works in a trickle then you can feed with confidence. now go get some GolD! :p

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/357/1385331894_20131115_164824.jpg
Your right! I just need a little more education. Tbh I got sick of trying to set it up amidst the rain, lightning and thunder. I'll do better next time. Thanks for the encouragement!

G'day Bushranger, if you're running a crate system can i recommend that you cut out all the square sections and have only "L" or rectangle sections.This ratio will eliminate all your blockages. ;)

Cheers Wal.

Hey thanks for sharing, small and compact - handy to carry around on hikes for when ya just want to do some quick testing a long the way! Let us know how the modifications and second trial goes - would love to do something similar sometime.

Latest posts