Creswick Regional Park

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I will be heading up to Slaty Creek in Creswick Regional Park this Sunday with a mate to do some panning.

Has anyone got any tips? I only have a 2WD but im hoping to get to one of the camping spots and work from there. Also does anybody know the current water situation at slaty?

Thanks in advance.

Honestly mate, that area has been absolutely savaged.
There is still gold to be found and yes you will get something every time you go, but not much.
ATM there is little scattered pools of water, no flow in the creek.

Occasional_panner said:
Honestly mate, that area has been absolutely savaged.
There is still gold to be found and yes you will get something every time you go, but not much.
ATM there is little scattered pools of water, no flow in the creek.

Thats fine with me. I spent a wasted day last week trying my luck at 4 different creeks in yarra state forest so im only after a bit to keep the fever at bay.

The only place ive got a decent bit before is at reedy but a 6 hour return drive from south east melbourne is too far for just the day. It would be fine if i had a few days and i could camp but i only have sunday free.

I'll do a bit more research and see if i can't find a different gold bearing creek within the same sort of drive time but at the moment im working 12 hour shifts so im not sure i'll have the time to research.

For those interested, the creeks i tried at yarra state forest were the Ada River, Big Pats Creek, Mississipi Creek and McHanons Creek. Didn't find a single speck in any, although i may have been looking in the wrong places. I was getting quartz and plenty of black sand, just no gold with it.

Latest posts