Cats

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They'll turn on each other when there's no small wildlife left... most will end up skinny zombie looking cats, but, once that easy wild fodder is used up by those few insideous amongst them that turn cannibal we will end up with monsterous feral demons of the night that slip into the cities to feast on pet moggi, poodles, and chow-wowa's... before departing the gunfree city zones full as a goog. Prowlers be six foit long by then I'll bet.... n silent as a ghost. :eek:

Heres my Killer ..Ragdoll cat...sleeps all day and night..lives in the barn.... hasn't killed a mouse yet :N: Found it in a drain when it was little.. it was the only one I could catch.Probably cause it was to lazy :D
1526849708_img_20180521_11804.jpg

G'Day all

An an exploration geologist for almost my entire life (now retired)I have spent many many years in the bush and have never seen or even saw evidence of a feral cat problem. Wild dogs however are another thing. Wild pigs are another. I always carry a gun for the dogs as they will go for you. Now that I am retired to NE Vic, the most dangerous things out here are the dogs and the second most dangerous are city bushies with hunting bows, trail bikes and no bush skills what so ever. I have learnt to never believe a story like the ABC one until I have researched it and in particular found out who funded to study. They never go out in the bush these days, just read social media, old reports and twist figures to get the result they wanted.

Araluen

SWright said:
G'Day all

An an exploration geologist for almost my entire life (now retired)I have spent many many years in the bush and have never seen or even saw evidence of a feral cat problem. Wild dogs however are another thing. Wild pigs are another. I always carry a gun for the dogs as they will go for you. Now that I am retired to NE Vic, the most dangerous things out here are the dogs and the second most dangerous are city bushies with hunting bows, trail bikes and no bush skills what so ever. I have learnt to never believe a story like the ABC one until I have researched it and in particular found out who funded to study. They never go out in the bush these days, just read social media, old reports and twist figures to get the result they wanted.

Araluen
That's the thing with feral cats...you don't often see the problem until it's too late.

edit: I haven't seen the ABC program but I do whack a hell of a lot of feral cats every year and do get to see them hunting and what they hunt and thier stomach contents.

I love my cat..I hate feral anything..and have no problem with removing them.The cats are like everything else trying to survive.Maybe we should start knocking off kookaburras cause they keep eating all the green tree frogs..Where do we draw the line.. :Y:

I dont fear cats at all. Except for tigers, lion and the sort.

I cant remember where i heard it but i think it stands true.
Cats have servents, while dogs have masters

HippyProspecting said:

Never heard that one before.Probably depends on the master..Alot may think their masters... but really only servents :Y: ;)

HippyProspecting said:

Reminds me of another saying what you think, is what you become :rolleyes:
Dont worry Im just takin the piss ... ;)
Cats are how you treat them same as other pets and animals, they have there own personalities and their own natures .. domesticated animals are different to wild animals and a domesticated animals or pet that has turned feral to me is a problem.
Its just not Cats that are a problem , its Dogs Rabbits Fox Caintoads Goats Pigs Camels water buffalo and even wild horses , they all really have no purposeful function being out in the Australian bush, because they are destructive pests to the enviromnent native fauna and problomatic for farmers in many ways many city people refuse to understand.

Smoky bandit said:
I love my cat..I hate feral anything..and have no problem with removing them.The cats are like everything else trying to survive.Maybe we should start knocking off kookaburras cause they keep eating all the green tree frogs..Where do we draw the line.. :Y:
We draw the line where it keeps the native eco system alive and pumping with as little outside influence as possible.... of course the powers that be feel we must introduce B to help cull A (that was inadvertantly introduced some time ago), but then they find that B likes to eat native stuff instead so C, D & E are all allowed in to have a crack as well, and on it goes I'll bet.... even now :eek:

As I stated in post#3 of this thread, it's a human introduced problem - humans are the idiots and we're to blame - like Australia's Macquarie Island in the sub-Antarctic where we first introduced (unintentionally) rats from whaling ships. We just keep f#$*ing it up and paying for it:

Cats were introduced to Macquarie Island in about 1820 (to control the rats) and rabbits (for food) about 60 years later in 1878.
By 1960, grazing by rabbits was having very destructive effects on the native vegetation, said Dr Bergstrom.

Management of rabbits commenced in 1968 with the introduction of the European rabbit flea (vector of the Myxoma virus) followed in 1978 by release of the Myxoma virus. Rabbit numbers peaked at 130,000 in 1978 but eventually dropped to about 20,000 and within 810 years the island vegetation had recovered substantially.

With fewer rabbits to prey on, the cats switched to native seabirds (largely penguins and all seabird eggs) and by the mid 1980s were having significant detrimental impacts on seabird populations. Cat eradication commenced in 1985 and the last cat was killed in 2000. Since then rabbit numbers have increased rapidly and have substantially altered large areas of island vegetation, she said.

A new strategy for Macquarie Island is currently underway to eradicate rabbits, mice and rats simultaneously at a cost of approximately $24 million to be met equally by the Australian and Tasmanian governments.

I reckon far cheaper to give seasoned hunters a license and bounty to do this important work!

LoneWolf said:
Before the Sh#t fight starts, I have one Question for Cat owners...

How many of you 'Responsible' Owners let your Cat out at Night? If you Do, then YOU are part of the problem... :mad:

And Chiron those figures are way out... You can Triple those numbers and they would still be nowhere near the correct amount....

LW...

I own two cats both were taught at an early age that they are afraid of the dark. they both come inside and stay inside on there own before the sun goes down. all animals can be trained only people can't. cats dogs and other animal species cause major problems to native animals,
i live trap the nocturnal pests and dispose of responsibly.

Hi Bigwave, as you well know stats by any gov dept can be very enlightening and also very twisted.
Black and white... is news paper print color hey, up too us to decipher any truth of it all.
Always three sides to a story...
# your version
# their version
# and the truth
the later is always hard too find.
Gov dept always seem to want to put and end to things in this case, saying all is good...
or drag it out for further funding!
Cane toads still hop
carp still live in mud happily
our bees are soon to be hit with a mite... major eco threat!
All the above would cost billions of dollars to even make a difference
But the government would rather focus our minds on things like gay marriage!
Total smoke screen hey :N:

So true mh......We Export 1 million Bees every week out of this Country to Try and help the others who wave been hit with that Mite.... With-out Bees, We won't last long as a Human Race.

LW....

Latest posts