Cooking damper on the goldfields.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Manpa said:
Those recipes threw me when it said margarine, checked it out and it was invented in 1869, go figure. :Y:

Margarine was cheaper and guess would also keep better without refrigeration .................. you can thank Napoleon for that one. ;)

Lefty said:
Wishfull said:
oldtimerRob
Where I grew up in the country my Dad used to leave his .22 in the boot of our car with the boot key in it while we went into the local shop after we had been rabbiting. Times have changed. Loved rabbit stew. Mrs Wishfull won't let me cook one inside.

Plenty of them here in QLD as well. I remember dad making stew from them but I was never able to get into it - the meat seems to have a flavour and aroma all of it's own :D

Have to agree, trapped and sold thousands as a kid (three and six a pair) but never eaten one as the smell cooking puts me off also. :|

Easy way to fix the smell Bogger, add dark cooking chocolate to the pan, chopped rabbit, onions, garlic, stout and dark cooking chocolate plus seasoning, slow cook for couple of hours, everyone will want to lick the pan afterwards!

Dihusky said:
Easy way to fix the smell Bogger, add dark cooking chocolate to the pan, chopped rabbit, onions, garlic, stout and dark cooking chocolate plus seasoning, slow cook for couple of hours, everyone will want to lick the pan afterwards!

Mate will give that a go ............ my old man loved them, probably because he was brought up on them, so mum never bothered with any way of disguising the smell. Top tip as always plenty of wabbits about :Y:

Smoky bandit said:
You blokes were probably cooking hares...The rabbits I've cleaned and cooked never stank :Y:

You would most likely be cooking the new eco friendly one's ................. all organically bred :Y: :D :D :D

Bogger said:
Smoky bandit said:
You blokes were probably cooking hares...The rabbits I've cleaned and cooked never stank :Y:

You would most likely be cooking the new eco friendly one's ................. all organically bred :Y: :D :D :D
Na shot in the wild..Never tried one of those organically bred ones..Are they any good...I might have to give it a go :Y: :Y: :Y:

Smoky bandit said:
ctxkid said:
any i have cooked dont smell bad ?
Do you get them from the organic bred farm like me mate :D :Y: lol.

They are not super special, just that on the organic farms they are trained not to eat any grass with herbicides on them ;)
Smells are funny like that ................... what is offensive to one may not be so to another :eek:

Bogger said:
Smoky bandit said:
ctxkid said:

They are not super special, just that on the organic farms they are trained not to eat any grass with herbicides on them ;)
Smells are funny like that ................... what is offensive to one may not be so to another :eek:
Mmmmmm trained rabbits..... Thats interesting :Y:

Smoky bandit said:
Bogger said:
Smoky bandit said:
ctxkid said:

Yes and they breed larger than normal ................. you actually need a real big pan

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/1Fo236Hfaqs[/video]

Bogger said:
Smoky bandit said:
Bogger said:
Smoky bandit said:
ctxkid said:

Yes and they breed larger than normal ................. you actually need a real big pan

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/1Fo236Hfaqs[/video]
Gunna need a bigger pot! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts