Collecting gold or selling gold?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys not to sure if this is a taboo question but what are you doing with the gold you find? I've always been curious about those who strike it big either in a patch or solid piece and what they've done with it. As for myself I've set myself personal weight goals I wish to reach in time and have been smelting all my alluvial that I've collected up from every outing with the possibility of selling my clump once I've reached my goal and starting over again. I know of a bloke through friends that is just saving up vials of the stuff with no intention in selling any of it or smelting it to and to leave it to his children as an inheritance. Each to their own I suppose lol also for those selling gold where is the best bang for your buck and what's the better place to sell? Online or gold buyers etc?

Thanks for your time and can't wait to hear your input :) :D

When I sold some gold I called PW Becks, they sent me an airbag fully insured for contents, when it arrived at their end they asked if I wanted gold price on that day or wait till after refining, I picked price on that day could have gone up or down in that time, then got a deposit into my account, deal done.

I sell a little alluvial here and there on fleabay. I mostly just do little gram or two vials, filled with vodka! to keep it from getting those weird floaters or murky gunk over time, plus it keeps the gold super lustrous and makes it look much bigger of course! The craziest thing is selling in smaller quantities is that I always get above spot price, even if its just a little, it covers the eBay fee and the cost of the stupidly overpriced vials!

1525306469_gold_vial.jpg

People love even having a little like that to hold in their hand, I did 10 up recently and tossed them up on a buy it now price and they were all gone within 4 hours and the money was in my PayPal at the end of the day :)

Nuggets, however, I find too precious to part with, it's not like I have many anyway! I have a mate who not long retired, who spends half the year in Western Australia and has been offloading a small fortune in them the last few years and he definitely does not have a hard time selling interesting ones above spot, the unremarkable ones are smelted. I certainly envy his setup and life these days! He told me he wished he retired earlier as he got his hand on a couple of leases, one is something like 180ha the other 160ha and he has done very well with them. I can only dream that I will get a 'hand me down' GPZ from him one day lol

That's pretty amazing I've seen good on fleabay and it always seems to go above spot price all the time. Does anyone smelt and sell? Is the price better refined or kept as alluvial

Look I think its just the romance of it being alluvial or in a nice nugget why people buy it on eBay, I'm sure a smelted button or small ingot would sell equally as well...if you are a trusted seller that is. We (the forum) aggressively tracked the activity of a scammer on eBay I'm guessing last year? that was selling molten brass/copper with quartz and gravel tossed in for good measure and passing it off as gold nuggets...he did rather well for himself too. I guess in the alluvial form it's harder to fake and it's a nice little trinket to sit on your desk and swirl around or use as an expensive paperweight.
I certainly would never buy a button from someone I didn't know, even 50-50 gold/silver, still looks like gold. Natural alloys of gold and silver are common, so even the stuff we pull out of rivers almost certainly has a small amount of silver in it. We have been blessed with pretty damn nice nuggets in Aus though as they are more or less 23K+/958.3 fine.
I mostly don't bother smelting because A) I don't have buckets of it and never will! and B) I really don't have the gear to do it. I have tried in the past and sometimes the results have been disappointing, although I did make a couple of "coins" out of moulds I made of $2 coins for shits n giggles (I'm sure it's illegal and yeah a bit silly) but also interesting to put a solid gold $2 down on a table at the pub.

Thanks Chris and wow that's crazy someone could do that and get away with it but then again that's eBay and not knowing 100% if its real apart from reputation. I don't think I'd sell it privately but take it somewhere to be tested in karats so I know the quality of my gold. Aqua reiga seems pretty interesting despite the toxic gasses to get 999.9 pure but the only let down is acquiring the chems needed especially nitric.. I'll keep smelting my buttons to reach my goal tho

I reckon keep your gold, gold is basically a pure form of currency, in fact the only form of currency accepted everywhere in the world, Id rather shiny yellow money than plastic money that if worth nothing when something big happens in the world.

Keep your gold ' it's the best hedge to protect your wealth .
Silver is also a great buy at the moment , takes around 79 ounces to buy one ounce of gold , yet it's only being mined at 10/1 ratio !

Keeping money in the bank is just stupid after the Govt passed the bail-in law back in Feb this year , your money in bank accounts can now be taken ! :eek:
http://cecaust.com.au/releases/2018_02_16_Govt_APRA.html

Stuff That
Jack