Nundle NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is also Coprolites to be found if you know where to go... Coprolite is Fossilized Dinosaur Poo..

1526719698_cam00088.jpg

LW...

I am aware that Nundle is popular for gold panning but I'm wondering if there are areas there suitable/accessible for gold detecting?

Hi Pete,

I was at Nundle last weekend, did a bit of panning up the creek and ran the monster over the bank. I am now very good at finding bits is fencing wire and kicking hot rocks

Spoke to some that were better educated than me and close to Nundle is mostly alluvial gold. During long dry periods theres not much around as it gets picked out of the fossicking areas pretty quickly until the next heavy rains wash more out of the mountains.

Cheers Rob

Hi
Im looking at heading to nundle this wednesday to run my new 12in sluice and im just wondering if anyone can give me an update on the river status after the recent rains.
Also anyone is welcome to join me, ill be there till saturday and i have a spare 6in sluice that someone can use.
Cheers

Hi Josh,

I'm nowhere near Nundle at the moment as I'm in Mackay (very wet up here after Ex-cyclone Owen), but I was speaking with someone in Tamworth this morning and he says there has been very little rain around there. He says the recent weather systems seem to move up from the south then split over the ranges to the south of Tamworth (Nundle probably included here) missing Tamworth and going east to the coast and a bit west then moving north to reform over northern NSW.

Sorry not much joy for you in that news.

We know there is gold there to find, hope you can find some flow somewhere. :goldnugget: :goldpan: :pickshovel:

Merry Christmas.

Cheers,
Graham

Been to Nundle twice this year. Not much water flowing except after heavy rain. Even then it doesn't last long. 70mm rain in 2 days in October still did not provide enough water to run a small river sluice. River came up, river went down within a day. Peel River down from Bowling Alley Point was dry, even after October rain. Rain over the past few days might have changed things but I doubt it. Good news is that you can get down and dirty in the Peel as some spots that are often under water are dry. Bad news is that you need to take dirt to a waterhole to pan. There are still plenty of water in the Peel, but not much flow. Oakenville and other creeks are not flowing. Watch out for Tiger Leeches in the water pools. Big buggers. Hungry! Wear gumboots and keep watching around your boots as they are fearsome.
Plan to pan!

I have been out of action for the last 6 months due to health issues and just returned. We were going to go to Nundle but never made it and thinking about going this weekend. Looking for info on where to find maps of the area that will show us where we can go that is not private property or any info would be appreciated. Just going for a look this weekend and bit of exploring. Thanks. By the way be careful of your posture if using a metal detector and you are an older person. My sciatica nerve became squashed because of my posture and I was bedridden for 12 weeks and still have to be careful in what I do now and how I do it. Would not wish the pain on anyone.

Cheers thanks. Would you know of a good place to base ourselves. We were thinking of Chaffey dam

Latest posts