Minelab Gold Monster 1000 tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All

Just wondering if Minelab has found whats causing the falsing issue yet?
My second machine and the exact same problem!!. Very Disappointing
And Disheartening just hoping there techs find whats causing this.
Please let us know if this issue has been addressed and if they know whats
going on.
Thanks for your time and help

Cheers

I really dont think there is a real issue. It would seem some are having troubles but mine only becomes touch sensitive when at full sensitivity. Auto Sensitivity +1 and it runs like a dream. In fact with my GPZ at flat out sensitivity its coil becomes touch sensitive as well. I really think it is more about how the Monster is being used rather than a real problem. We have 2 and neither have an issue in Auto sens, which unless you are using it in real quite ground any other sensitivity setting is going to have the monster talking constantly as it is 45 k VLF which is hot.

My suggestion is learn how to use the Monster in Auto Sensitivity as that is the one thing that makes the Monster shine over other VLF machines.

Hi Goldwright

Great advice mate Ive also heard that some havent had issues.
And yes I understand its easier to blame the user then the machine itself!
sadly this is the 2nd machine Ive owned thats has had this same issue. I also own other
VLF detectors But never had this falsing issue before and the gold bug 2 is a bit higher in sensitivity.
Ive only ran mine so far in Auto shallow due to the problems both machines have had I havent had the
chance to play around with them much, so that throws the Im running it to high on manual theory out the door.
And just to make sure a wasnt imagining things or that Id just come out of a box of rice bubbles or a coma I met up with two guys with there GM 1000S and we swapped detectors but they didnt need to have it in there hands for very long unfortunately and I say unfortunately because I was enjoying swinging there detectors!.
Im on the Facebook GM 1000 groups so I do know that these are very good detectors and theres a few guys on there killing it with them! But these guys Are running theres on Flatout yes flatout to get a bit more depth, as theyve said yes there noisy but there use to it and the noise of a Target is different to other things apart from lead obviously.
Goldwright.
Im not saying its every detector that has this issue or most of them, but Yes there have been a few with this problem! Minelab make the best gold detectors in the world I personally believe, and the GM1000 even finds the bits that my SDC leaves behind yes they maybe tiny tiny bit or crumbs but when working there great!.

Cheers

Hi Goldwright

No unfortunately I dont try there coils on mine I wish I had have tried this though! It dose seem to be worse on the 5inch coil but the 10 inch dose also do it as well although Ill admit I mostly only use the 5 inch . When it was a Replaced the first time they just gave me a complete new machine and didnt go into an in-depth reason, but I wouldve thought if it was just the coil they wouldve just replaced the coil and not the entire detector and coils. And another guy I know they also did the same with his replacing the entire machine.
I would suggest joining the GM1000 Facebook group as there are some really helpful guys that know the monster like the back of there hand due to using it most days around the Ballarat and Bendigo area with Lots of gold being found!

I bought a GM 1000, tried to look for them in Ballarat, Creswick, Marybrouth, Smytshdale, Bendigo, even went to Woods Point and Jamieson, just rubbish and a few coins. Now I'm thinking of selling the GM 1000 and buying something else.

I haven't done any side-by-side testing, but I think the advantages of the Equinox are switchable frequencies, threshold, and ground balance control.
But the bad thing about using it in the goldfields is the 11" open web coil. So until some more coils become available, I'd still vote in favour of the monster.

PhaseTech said:
I haven't done any side-by-side testing, but I think the advantages of the Equinox are switchable frequencies, threshold, and ground balance control.
But the bad thing about using it in the goldfields is the 11" open web coil. So until some more coils become available, I'd still vote in favour of the monster.

have any coil manufacturers hinted at releasing aftermarket coils yet? eg coiltek it would be nice to have a 10 x 5 or similar solid coil for the equinox specifically catering to prospecting. i think only with a similar sized coil could you get a true comparison of how they stack up against eachother.

Spyhunter said:
My thoughts as well Phase however I'd like to see more results from the field from owners of the GM 1000.

L.D.C prospecting has posted tons of videos in the last 4 months of the monster finding small gold and speci's, pretty sure he is based in VIC, so i assume if it handles that well down there it would likely be pretty capable in most areas.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFgzy3yZCA1FdeJcOEbOYMQ

roddosnow said:
Spyhunter said:
My thoughts as well Phase however I'd like to see more results from the field from owners of the GM 1000.

L.D.C prospecting has posted tons of videos in the last 4 months of the monster finding small gold and speci's, pretty sure he is based in VIC, so i assume if it handles that well down there it would likely be pretty capable in most areas.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFgzy3yZCA1FdeJcOEbOYMQ

Thanks roddosnow It sure seems good at picking up the small pieces

garridge said:
I bought a GM 1000, tried to look for them in Ballarat, Creswick, Marybrouth, Smytshdale, Bendigo, even went to Woods Point and Jamieson, just rubbish and a few coins. Now I'm thinking of selling the GM 1000 and buying something else.

I found gold the first time I used a Gold Monster.

The metal detector is only part of the equation. You also need determination, an understanding of the goldfields and what was done on them. research and practice amongst other things.

I bought a second hand gold monster a while back and have been having issues getting the battery to charge. Started looking at replacement batteries and when I saw they were $165 ish decided to do a bit more research. When the battery is on the 240v charger only a red light is shown on the battery. I thought this was normal but have eventually run the battery right down over successive uses and 'charging'.
Today I tried the leads that let you charge off a car battery on a deep cycle 12v battery I have conected to solar powered lighting in my shed.
What do you know, a flashing green led on the battery now. Never saw this with the 240v charger so now I am thinking it is the charger that is had it.
Hopefully at some stage the flashing green light on the battery will change to a "i'm fully charged" indication. It seems chargers are much cheaper than batteries so I am hoping battery does actually get fully charged off the 12v.
Lots of hope going on but you never know until you try.

Well success. After 3 or 4 hours on the 12v I have, for the first time since I've owned it, a full battery indicator on the gold monster screen. Battery $165 charger $20 ish. Experiment saves $145, almost like 3 grams of gold found.
That's how I'm seeing it anyway :p

1532950666_gm1000_gold_.jpg

G'day Gold Monster owners and potential buyers. I thought I'd do a quick write up after finding my first 3 pieces of gold with the Monster! It only took a year of walking, a bit of luck, and a very kind and patient P/A member telling me pretty much exactly where to swing my coil :p . It was hard to tell how deep they were, but at a guess it wouldn't have been more than a few centimetres. My settings were manual no 6 deep all metal mode. I often have to surf through manual settings from 5 to 7 as the ground changes quickly. Although my monster has found gold I have noticed a few discrepancies with the detector, for instance, some days I can run it much hotter ( 7 to 9) on the same ground that on previous days I could only run at 7 max. To make things more interesting, on those 'good days' after a few hours it will become increasingly jittery/noisy to the point that I need to decrease sensitivity. I would be interested if anyone has found the same problems? After watching a few youtube's heres a couple of channels I would recommend...

This guy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdas7vSePGkIT20cAOTd5Gw .AND. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFgzy3yZCA1FdeJcOEbOYMQ That guy..

Any way like most people are saying, the Gold Monster is a super sensitive detector. There is a good chance the gold I have found has been gone over with the SDC. (Hoping to do a comparison between the Equinox, the SDC, and the Gold Monster soon.) Although I think the GM1000 is being let down by how temperamental it is and how inaccurate I have found the indicator to be. Hotrocks, tree roots, charcoal, wet dirt, a sideways look... the thing was trying to tell me it's all gold, if only it was! I'd also say it's unable to handle hot ground on a sensitivity level that would be of any use. The GM1000 is obviously a dynamite VFL on low mineralised grounds, but I've struggled with the aptly named Monster. Below is a photo of 1 hour on the pan vs 1 hour on the detector.

1532949598_dsc_1025.jpg

Well thats my 2cents. Hope you're all fine and dandy. Cheers n beers.
NUGS

Right I have never used this machine before and I'm keen to try it. I went down the shop to hire a couple things to try out. So tomorrow I will try it out and make a video review, I also have the pro find 35 to try out. I'm not going far from home, missus wants to detect her first piece of gold, shouldn't be a problem. So I'll spend the best part of tomorrow testing these new toys. I'm going to an area where I have detected several nuggets first with the ATX, then GPX5 and then I found about 100 nuggets there over summer with the SDC, I used the equinox there a couple times for 0 nuggets, never fail to find gold there with any other detector I use. So this shall be most interesting to see how this gold monster performs.

Latest posts