Creswick and surrounds Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still new to prospecting, but say I did go (any creek this is) can you still do some crevicing or collect material to pan out at a later date when the rivers are in this condition, or is it a complete waste of time?

Filthgrinder said:
I'm still new to prospecting, but say I did go (any creek this is) can you still do some crevicing or collect material to pan out at a later date when the rivers are in this condition, or is it a complete waste of time?
Absolutely! Some guys take bucket loads home and process them at their leisure but I'm not sure whether that is legal.

Anolphart said:
Filthgrinder said:
Absolutely! Some guys take bucket loads home and process them at their leisure but I'm not sure whether that is legal.

It is.

Cool thanks :) Maybe after all this rain it will be a muddy pit but might try head over regardless :lol:

Slaty's been dry as a bone for months now after the last few stink holes dried up. Don't bother detecting the ford works. It's full of blue metal and steel reo. A few weeks ago I got a few colours in one 20l bucket of dirt I panned out. No colours in the second 20l bucket.

Got back from Slaty Creek last night. The causeway rebuild at Campground 1 is coming along with the foundation work done and more than half the formwork set for the main concrete pour. I expect they did the rest of the formwork today. Will see progress when I get out again in a few days.

There are also roadworks underway along Slaty Creek Road from Campground 1, past Campground 2 and along the turnoff road to Campground 3. Grader, roller and blue metal truck in action. Shame about the blue metal for detecting.

Thanks again Vombat :Y:

I would like to take the kids to cressy. Think I'll wait for a little H2O flowing though.
Cheers for your updates.

Thanks GG :Y:

Thanks for the update. This was my first option for my first trip up there in 2 weeks, but I think we'll have to keep exploring...

Was out at Slaty Creek again from Monday to Tuesday. They finished the form and reo work on Monday and poured concrete in the arvo. Started removing some of the formwork late Tuesday. They still have to beach the upstream and downstream sides of the causeway/ford.

They have graded and rolled the road to Campground 3 from Slaty Creek Road. They have also graded Slaty Creek Road south to Standard Road - makes a nice change from playing "Dodgem Potholes". Some sections are still soft bulldust. Not sure if they will roll more and blue metal more of the track too. Some of the bulldust sections are quite soft and drifty if you hit them too fast.

PJG said:
Any ideas when the work will be finished anyone?

None of the workers I asked would commit to a completion date. However if they keep at it like over the last week it should not be more than a week or so. I'll be out again early next week and will give an update when I get back on Wednesday.

goldengoose said:
Thanks again Vombat !

Works nearly complete, now just need some H2o with a nice flow :Y:

Cheers GG

No worries GG. We are due some rain this weekend but it will take a lot more than what is forecast to get things flowing. The subsurface moisture in Salty Creek is very low - like I had to go down over a metre to get some muddy water in the bottom of one hole this week. 8.(

Vombat said:
goldengoose said:
Thanks again Vombat !

Works nearly complete, now just need some H2o with a nice flow :Y:

Cheers GG

No worries GG. We are due some rain this weekend but it will take a lot more than what is forecast to get things flowing. The subsurface moisture in Salty Creek is very low - like I had to go down over a metre to get some muddy water in the bottom of one hole this week. 8.(

yeah one rainfall wont do it... it had over 20 mm the day i took those pics :)

bjarvie said:
Just got back from Creswick... set out to test the new Croc Gold Trap... but the place was bone dry :)

These two photos are taken from me standing in the middle of the Creek at the camping ground 1 (end of Slaty Creek Rd) - this is after the heavy rain we had today... The access to camp round 2 onwards is blocked as they are repairing the road from the last floods.

Thought id share just incase someone was planning on heading down thinking to trial some new gear... still great time to swing a machine around...

Have you managed to test the Croc Gold Trap?

Would be interested to see how it goes in Creswick.

Was in the Creswick Regional Park earlier last week.

The dumping last weekend had Slaty Creek running for a while but then it was just a few of the deeper puddles - but they were dropping fast as they soaked in (like 10 inches drop in 24 hours).

However it has been consistently drizzling and raining since then so I am hopeful the water table under the creek is fulling up and the creek will be running again soon.

Latest posts