Metal Detector advice $500 to $1500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll bung in a comment here, and before any body jumps on me, no, I have not found any gold of the au type ;)
Neil, you need to weigh up what you'll be looking for the most, by that I mean, will you be living and breathing gold detecting, and only gold or will the majority of your time be relic and coins etc, with gold being a once a year trip.

Weigh up that facts and it will eliminate several detectors very quickly
cheers Keith

ps I could be wrong but I think the SDC is a gold only machine

Hi Neil,

The nugget of gold (1.06gms) that I found with the GM 1000 has been the only piece but I ran the SDC over the same area and found nothing else.

Yes as xcvator said the SDC is a gold machine but I have used it on the beach and back yard and it works quite well but it doesn't give target id numbers like the dedicated treasure detectors. Nor does the GM 1000 but at least it can disciminate.

Buy what you can afford and learn how to use it.

Cheers

Doug

Thanks guys this is great info. Has anyone tested the makro gold kruzer yet in the goldfields? Seems like a good affordable gold and relic machine but can't find many reviews here in aus

qed for under a grand if you look and wait, best gold finder on market for the price, ive been looking at an impact also, very favourable reports, and handles our mineralized ground good, cheers big ears.. :)

no, but i may hav to grab it if no one else is smart enough to i can see its had GB button fitted and i happen to hav a lithium battery /booster set sitting around

Dave

Neilzz.Northeast. I am looking for serious gold nuggets to show my step children overseas as they have never seen natural gold and are very interested.Went out last weekend to Dunolly and quickly put the Impact-SDC2300 question to rest.In very hot ground in an area I had previously found nuggets 4 to 6 inches deep,the Impact picked up a good sharp signal in DEEP.Dug down 12 inches and signal got a little stronger. Used the DI3 mode to pinpoint it.Tested the SDC and there was absolutely no response. I have to get some serious digging tools to go any deeper as the ground is virgin fractured sandstone which really requires a lot of grunt. High probability it is a nugget and not trash because the fractured sandstone was all aligned and undisturbed. Looking to buy a light petrol driven impact drill. Although the Kruzer Multi is not as good as the Impact- it lies somewhere between the Racer 2 and the Impact according to Nenad,I think the Kruzer Multi will be ok as it has half the modes,lighter and also waterproof in rain. Whites MXT does not offer the quality and features that Nokta do, and I don't know how stable they are in the GT.Also only has 5 or 14 Khz which is not optimal for gold. As a novice you need to know all the shallow decent nuggets have been found around Dunolly and most other goldfields in the GT but there are plenty of ones left much deeper down-2 to 3 meters. Its no good having a deep seeking detector if you haven't the equipment to dig them up. Then I am not sure if you have motorized equipment that would be classed as mining and not prospecting by the Authorities.If you don't want to dig deep then I suggest you try your luck with the new Kruzer Gold out on the mullock heaps chasing tiny flecks.If you can buy a large mattock and dig a trench into the piles and detect over the dirt you have dug out,you will have a much better chance in finding a decent nugget.

oldtimerROB said:
Neilzz.Northeast. I am looking for serious gold nuggets to show my step children overseas as they have never seen natural gold and are very interested.Went out last weekend to Dunolly and quickly put the Impact-SDC2300 question to rest.In very hot ground in an area I had previously found nuggets 4 to 6 inches deep,the Impact picked up a good sharp signal in DEEP.Dug down 12 inches and signal got a little stronger. Used the DI3 mode to pinpoint it.Tested the SDC and there was absolutely no response. I have to get some serious digging tools to go any deeper as the ground is virgin fractured sandstone which really requires a lot of grunt. High probability it is a nugget and not trash because the fractured sandstone was all aligned and undisturbed. Looking to buy a light petrol driven impact drill. Although the Kruzer Multi is not as good as the Impact- it lies somewhere between the Racer 2 and the Impact according to Nenad,I think the Kruzer Multi will be ok as it has half the modes,lighter and also waterproof in rain. Whites MXT does not offer the quality and features that Nokta do, and I don't know how stable they are in the GT.Also only has 5 or 14 Khz which is not optimal for gold. As a novice you need to know all the shallow decent nuggets have been found around Dunolly and most other goldfields in the GT but there are plenty of ones left much deeper down-2 to 3 meters. Its no good having a deep seeking detector if you haven't the equipment to dig them up. Then I am not sure if you have motorized equipment that would be classed as mining and not prospecting by the Authorities.If you don't want to dig deep then I suggest you try your luck with the new Kruzer Gold out on the mullock heaps chasing tiny flecks.If you can buy a large mattock and dig a trench into the piles and detect over the dirt you have dug out,you will have a much better chance in finding a decent nugget.

And what would you know about the Whites MXT. The MXT has found more Gold than any other VLF ever made In History, I found more Gold in the first 5 days of owning the MXT than I did in the 5 years prior, and I found Gold in Gympie and in the GT and in the UK,

As for how smaller pieces the MXT can see ? The Frequency is one small part of what makes a detector able to see small/Tiny Gold, There are many other factors that have a major "ImPact" pun intended, as to how and why some detectors see small Gold better than others, The Frequency is just the first link in the Chain.

And there is no way will your VLF out run the SDC in Hot Ground, And the Quality features you talk of within the Impact are borrowed technology taken directly from the early Whites V-SAT that was invented in around 1995 and has been standard fitment to the MXT and the GMT and every version since 1998/9.

So with all this Super Duper Hi Tech and depth beyond the reach of the MXT and the SDC why are we still waiting for you to post pictures of the Gold you have found with your Impact?

No to worry Rob, Just to tied you over Here's a quick field test of the MXT E-Series Tracker from back in 2009 where GoldSearch Australia took the MXT out in to the Golden Triangle for a couple of hours, It's a shame that it is not very sensitive to Gold in Hot Ground because they could only get it to find bits weighing less than 0.06grams, Bloody Door Stops, Bugga I hate it when things don't work right.

http://www.goldsearchaustralia.com/index.php/mxt_stories

Keep digging Rob, It's down there somewhere. :cool: :lol: :lol: :lol:

oldtimerROB said:
Went out last weekend to Dunolly in very hot ground in an area I had previously found nuggets 4 to 6 inches deep.

Hey Rob here's your chance to give us a look at these nuggets, I haven't seen any of your finds and wouldn't it be nice for your step children to see it on this site to show their friends as well :Y:.

oldtimerROB said:

The SDC probably didn't signal because you're chasing a ground noise. I'll eat my own face live on youtube if it is.

The line highlighted shows you are one of the idiots out there with no regard for the rules governing prospecting that make it harder and harder every year for the rest of us!

Im after a new detector thats suitable for all types of ground, i have a gold monster but its way to sensitive up in the Victorian gold fields with to much hot rock and i cant focus on the right noise when i have the kids with me. I cant afford anything to expensive so im looking at the x terra 705 witch i can pick up for around $500 but willing to spend upto $2000. Are the x terra's good in high mineral ground? We are after anything not just gold.. the kids take turns in digging up the treasure and its always a letdown when theres nothing left in the hand apart from dust that still sets off the gold monster..
Any ideas at all?

Cheers everyone

Probably a good coin detector to fit the perameters you describe would best suit you as you suggest. But I am not a detector expert, more of a bedrock scratcher so others will have a better idea.

Latest posts