You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

HippyProspecting
06 May 2018 06:24 pm

I have found a dry gully that i want to clean some crevices in but there isnt any water close by except a creek that is on the exempt list.
Is it legal to pan off the gravel from the gully in a exempt creek
Ive done some googling but cant find an answer.
Any help or links will be appreciated smile

If you can't convince them, confuse them

1 user likes this post: RM Outback

aussiefarmer
06 May 2018 06:51 pm

Its the hard fact of proving you didnt take the gravel from that creek which i would expect could be impossible when the ranger finds you.

Wish in one hand and poo in the other , See which one fills up first !

HippyProspecting
06 May 2018 06:54 pm

Fair call thumbsup
Thats sort what i was thinking but thought i would ask as i couldnt find anything in writing

aussiefarmer
06 May 2018 07:01 pm

Smebody may know the laws but thats the bit im stuck on , it may be easier to take water to dirt than dirt to water,.

2 users like this post: HippyProspecting, madtuna

HippyProspecting
06 May 2018 07:11 pm

I suppose i could take some type of tub and pan off in the gully.
Its just a bit of a hike and i like to be as light on gear as possible.

Patrick1
06 May 2018 07:25 pm

AF has the best answer. Go with that.

HippyProspecting
06 May 2018 07:34 pm

I think i will have to patrick. Unless i can find something in writing that says i can, i will go with AF's idea or find somewhere else to prospect

1 user likes this post: Patrick1

aussiefarmer
06 May 2018 07:44 pm

A sheet of plastic and a empty bucket if its not to far to other creek, its a hard call wthr to cart water in or bring your paydirt out ,

1 user likes this post: HippyProspecting

RM Outback
06 May 2018 07:56 pm

Email earth resources and that way you'll hopefully receive a reply in writing with the info your after. I'd say at a minimum you'll get a response wether it answers your question is a waiting game. If a response doesn't answer your question entirely resend their response and ask for a definitive answer regarding your initial question. Some times you just have to dig in and play hard ball hopefully you don't. If you go down this path whatever you do don't let them off the hook if they won't give you a clear cut yes or no with copies of legislation supporting their response. Good luck.

HippyProspecting
06 May 2018 08:34 pm

Another good idea
Thanks rm outback.

Once i get a reply i will update here

3 users like this post: RM Outback, Patrick1, aussiefarmer

Outback
06 May 2018 09:00 pm

Hi hippy ,
If the the weight of the concentrate's is low enough ' just hall it back to your vehicle for panning off smile
You only need to cart about 20 litres of water to do the job .

Good luck
jack .

Last edited by Outback (06 May 2018 09:04 pm)

2 users like this post: HippyProspecting, madtuna

HippyProspecting
06 May 2018 09:54 pm

Thanks for the advise outback thumbsup
I was trying to avoid hauling the concentrates back to the car as it is a pretty big walk and steap terrain aswell.
Its will be eaiser to get to and from the gully to the creek, so i will take some type of tub and fill it with creek water for panning. Its not ideal but it will have to do until i get word back from earth resorces.

Thanks again for the replys guys

2 users like this post: Outback, RM Outback

Goldfreak
06 May 2018 10:17 pm

Interesting thread. I have panned out some creviced pay dirt in the middle of town in a highly populated area. Caused some excitement amongst the locals until I told them it's from 200kms west. As for legality the gravel n rock looked very different to the local rock. If it looked similar might be an issue as you say.

3 users like this post: aussiefarmer, HippyProspecting, RM Outback

HippyProspecting
07 May 2018 09:39 pm

I have sent off an email to earth resources victoria and i will wait for a response

HippyProspecting
16 May 2018 05:23 pm

Got this response back this week.

thanks for your inquiry
Busily, the 'Exempt' rivers are NOT allowed to be prospected using a Miner's Right or collecting gravel from the river.

you can review the information on our web site:
http://www.energyandresources.vic.gov.a … fossicking
If you have further inquiries, please call on the number below

kind regards

I replyed that i was not prospecting an exempt creek or collecting gravels at an exempt creek and just wanted to wash concentrates from elswhere in an exempt creek.
I can only think that washing concentrates is also prospecting.
Oh well, i will be carting in a tub it looks like

Last edited by HippyProspecting (16 May 2018 05:41 pm)

Swinging & digging
16 May 2018 05:46 pm

You need to consider the following: Ok you strike fantastic gold in your dry creek bed.
Over a period of time you cart 15 trailer loads of material to the flowing creek where prospecting is not permitted.
You process all of that new material in that waterway? Most likely it contains a significant amount of clay particles
which result in a turbidity increase and increased sedimentation to that waterway and a noticeable hole in the
dried out water course. If someone sees you and steals your spot and then posts it online you may end up with
hoards of material transported and deposited in a new location where its not meant to be.

This flags up as a negative impact to those that oppose prospecting and new laws are made to limit, exclude, ban & outlaw your hobby.

Best to use the seasons to your advantage waiting till water appears at your spot then testing it, to see what you have. wink

HippyProspecting
16 May 2018 06:36 pm

True, true swimging & digging

I will wait and see if the dry gully gets any water over winter but in the meantime i think i will continue reserching different spots. If it doesnt get any water flow during winter, its going to be a real pain in the arse carting water around the bush

Swinging & digging
16 May 2018 07:58 pm

Don,t put too much expectation into one spot / location been a potential bonanza.
It will limit your opportunities. thumbsup

Occasional_panner
06 June 2018 08:36 pm

Just bumped across this,
Oh jeez, just try and get a strait answer out of a gov dept...... impossible, when they tell you they can't give you a definitive answer and ask for that in writing HAHAHAHA bloody good luck.
All I could suggest is pump some water to your location or even just 50M away from the restricted stream, even a small bilge and a small lipo can move quite a bit of water.

I was seeking an answer to a different question, they just couldn't tell me yes or no on it, so I just don't do it, but I'm sure they couldn't prosecute me for it.
At the end of the day just make life easy for yourself and keep a positive light on our hobby so even more restrictions are not placed on us.

Last edited by Occasional_panner (06 June 2018 08:42 pm)

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site