What is the perfect Beer/Fridge Temp Setting.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaros, you are not a beer drinker :p that's obvious.

Different beers are better at different temps, but generally speaking 3 degrees would be the absolute tops. 1-2 degrees would be best, well, nearly best. But as Manpa says, coming straight off an ice bath is the best of all, especially if you are using cans. I know some people don't like cans, but particularly when you're camping or doing some other outdoor type stuff, cans are easier to handle and they get cold a lot quicker than stubbies.

Cheers
Bill

If it's tasteless yellow fizz eg. Carlton Cold then drink it as cold as you like, as nothing will improve the flavour. On a really hot day I like it a bit on the cold side for the first one or two, after that I want to be able to taste the hops and malt and therefore prefer a slightly warmer temp.

Some beers I like to be between 8 or 12 degrees and before anyone jumps up and down crying that that is too warm, remember, it's me drinking it and therefore my choice. In other words there is no ideal temperature for all beers, sure the yellow fizz can go down to 2or 3 degrees but would you really drink a Porter or a Guinness at those temps? Be honest.

Whisp said:
If it's tasteless yellow fizz eg. Carlton Cold then drink it as cold as you like, as nothing will improve the flavour. On a really hot day I like it a bit on the cold side for the first one or two, after that I want to be able to taste the hops and malt and therefore prefer a slightly warmer temp.

Some beers I like to be between 8 or 12 degrees and before anyone jumps up and down crying that that is too warm, remember, it's me drinking it and therefore my choice. In other words there is no ideal temperature for all beers, sure the yellow fizz can go down to 2or 3 degrees but would you really drink a Porter or a Guinness at those temps? Be honest.

To be honest the thread is about Beer Fridge temperature not Porter or a Guinness but if you do drink yours at 8 to 12 degrees your safe with me. You hit the nail on the head regarding choice Whisp for me those temperatures are not even close to drinkable.

1526379253_00000.jpg

Ahhhhhh thats bloody perfect rain snow or heatwave :Y: :Y: :Y:

Nightjar said:
Manpa said:
2 degrees for me, I like my beer cold as well, but I still don't think you can beat beer that's come out of an ice bath.

Another vote for this one.

Question: If beer and bottled water are put on ice, why do you get a brain freeze drinking the water and not the beer?

You got me thinking about the brain freeze thing, I cooled the fridge to 3* and it was very moreish then I took it down to 2* and it was a bit crisp at 2* so after the testing I set it to 00*c, Holy Dooley I only had a bit of a sip and 10 or 15 minutes later I am still suffering a case of brain freeze that won't go away, I have used 3 thermometers and the fridge in within 0.1*c so I know the temp is spot on, Won't be doing that again,

It's not like the brain freeze you get from eating Ice Cream that comes on fast and then goes, This one came on slowly and got worse, So in answer to your question I think the water conducts the cold more than Beer/Alcohol.

John.

After much thought and practical experiments I have discovered that beer tastes much better as cold as possible whilst still being liquid and in my opinion tastes so much better out of a bottle or glass.

I know I bought this up before as to what is the best temp for Beer, I know all my Fridges are working perfectly But I have tried every Temp from +3*c down to -3*c any lower than -3*c you risk exploding Cans but no matter what the Temp I have never found that the perfect temp where you almost suffer from Brain Freeze,

I have put the Glasses in the Fridge as well so it is the same temp as the Beer but no matter what I do does not give your mouth that sudden shock as you swallow that first mouth full, I Know the Fridges are very Cold because there is Frost on the inside and the can's almost sting your hands and an external thermometer shows that the fridge is seriously cold, The only real reason I can think of for my lack of satisfaction is that our Taste buds change as we get older either that or I am mis-remembering what a Cold Beer tastes like,

I have tried with Beer, soft drinks and even Coke that was almost Slushy Ice, and still Unimpressed,
Anyone else have this problem ?

J.

We Aussies tend to like our beer cold, and it has been suggested that this is because the general commercial beers are pretty ordinary in taste. I like it cold and refreshing (Reschs refreshes) but prefer one or two degrees C. Once the beer becomes too cold it is deleterious for head retention, and I like a good head on a beer. Once it goes slushy it is not good at all.

So it boils down to a balance between temperature, flavour and head retention, all through the lens of personal preference. Maybe you could experiment with increasing the alcohol content with some vodka to discourage freezing and put it back in the freezer for a while?

No RR I don't have your problem which sounds like yours is caused due to the cold climate you live in :/ I love my beer around 2 degrees :drooling: any colder and it's too cold. Just got home from the quacks and she reckons I need to drink less :( obviously reads too much :lol:

DrDuck said:
We Aussies tend to like our beer cold, and it has been suggested that this is because the general commercial beers are pretty ordinary in taste. I like it cold and refreshing (Reschs refreshes) but prefer one or two degrees C. Once the beer becomes too cold it is deleterious for head retention, and I like a good head on a beer. Once it goes slushy it is not good at all.

So it boils down to a balance between temperature, flavour and head retention, all through the lens of personal preference. Maybe you could experiment with increasing the alcohol content with some vodka to discourage freezing and put it back in the freezer for a while?

Yeah think your right, It must of been too Cold because the head only lasted a couple of minutes or less, So I need to set at 1* or above, Everywhere I have searched says between 1* to 3*c,

0* the head didn't last long and at -1 to -2 it was lifeless, Being Canned Beer, I guess the metal would of super chilled the Beer and done even more damage, The same thing happened with cans of Dr Pepper and Coke,

So the end result is, If you want a Good Beer then Don't Super Chill them below 1*c,

Thanks Duck :Y:

RM Outback said:
No RR I don't have your problem which sounds like yours is caused due to the cold climate you live in :/ I love my beer around 2 degrees :drooling: any colder and it's too cold. Just got home from the quacks and she reckons I need to drink less :( obviously reads too much :lol:

Yeah sounds live she has the Lockdown Blues and just wanted someone to take it out On,

I prescribe No less than 4 but no more than 12 Beers a Day see how that goes and Call me in the morning :playful: :playful: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is a thing that I never thought of, It always been a case of get em really cold but it just goes to show you can destroy Beer doing that just as much as you can when they are too warm.

Yeah, Although I drive a lot of Coffee, Frome the days when I had my own workshops working on Cars In Queensland my Coffee always ended up Cold so I drank it anyway and I still do that to this day, So because of the climate here Cold Drinks don't seem to have the same effect as they do back home, No wonder they drink their Dark Ales between 5 and 13*c, yuk yuk yuk ]:D :awful: :awful: :mad: :mad:

I can go to my local RSL club , in easy walking distance , and taste the VB at the different bars . I can soon pick which tastes the best . For you young blokes it needs 60 years of experience to do this ... The keg could have just been put on so it is all shook up or it has been on for a long time , no drinkers . Pipes have not been cleaned for a long time . I have been drinking in one bar and going to another to buy a beer . I like good beer but all beer is good !

Knew a guy that drove a dozer all day . The camp cook had to drop a 6 pack into the freezer about 2 hours before he knocked off . It was then at the right temperature !

I have my kegarator set at -2, just had a nice smoked manuka beer, nice head, just the right temp for me.
I'll adjust the temp depending on beer style and time of year

mudgee hunter said:
Hard to beat beer out of the bottom of an esky submerged in slushy ice!
And slip it into a wet stubby holder. :perfect: :beer:
Think you just miss the Aussie heat and beer mate!
Home sick?

Yeah that's right, Last week it was 4* at around 5-6am and this week its raining and about 17 to 18*, this being the start of winter here it should be close to 10* and lower,

I guess the weather being hot heating your body you notice how cold the Beer is more than you would in colder climes,

Latest posts