Gippsland Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If on private property and the ground looks promising, I would introduce yourself to the owner, get permission to detect ( a carton of beer or a couple of bottles of port may help) and suggest you split your finds 50/50. Win/Win.

The 45 is a great detector, use the mono coil.

And wear Snake gaiters, or cut the shoe part off rubber gum boots, and wear the the top part as snake gaiters, saw on this or another forum.

Peter

Thanks for the advise . Well noted

The 4500 is cool . A little bit of beach combing with it always finds something little .

Time to get into the wilderness and try my luck :)

casper said:
Hi Hopeful...

Welcome, I know that some true nuggets and nuggety specimens where detected somewhere around Neerim / Crossover in the 1970's at the time when metal detectors were NEW and were all the rage (and still they are!) but apart from that I've not heard of gold fossikers using 'tectors and finding gold in Gippsland currently.

You might make history so go for it!!

casper

Nuggets tend to be small in Gippsland with the occassional exceptions - some big ones came out around Enoch's Point - Matlock, Foster and Chiltern area and some other places (including a few where you mention). Up to 60 oz or more historically, but big ones were rare. There are reasons - a different type of gold deposit occurs there in which gold is commonly finer and locked up with sulphide minerals, not free lumps in quartz like central and western Victoria. Yes, there was a German website in the seventies with lots of photos of "specimens" detected in quartz from the area you mention.

1481520512_nuggets.jpg

1481520720_mineralogy.jpg

1481520742_domains.jpg

West-Central Victoria is the best nugget country

i.e. which website? Are you referring to my post, and if so are you referring to the diagrams I posted (I could send you the papers privately) or to the old reference to nuggets in the area (a German website that I no longer know but which might be found by googling locations). Frenchmans Gully was one location near Neerim from memory, but on private land.

Hi all. Im a Gippsland newbie. I grew up in the area and would love any advice or directions to information about the baw baw gold fields.any tips or hints or info would be great appreciated :)

bumdags said:
Hi all. Im a Gippsland newbie. I grew up in the area and would love any advice or directions to information about the baw baw gold fields.any tips or hints or info would be great appreciated :)

Half the joy of this hobby is self initiated research and exploratory fieldwork. I'm curious, did a search or research here on the forum and on Google re your stated area of interest not give you any solid leads to work with ?? there is SO much historical info openly available on the WWW.

Casper i have done some research on the web and found some interesting spots but like fishing i think talk to the locals for the best information. I agree the hunt is half the fun but i have a couple of kids that are interested so i would like to be able to show them a little color. I have found what i think is called flour gold but the kids want to see some thing bigger than a pinhead

Hi Guys, I moved back to the south eastern suburbs of melbourne after a few years in Bendigo. Well once you have lived in the goldfields you can't help but love the shiny. So was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of the general areas around gippsland to research to look for some creeks with gold in them. I am not into detecting for gold, there is something about panning in a creek that I love, probably the other little suprises you come across such as gemstones and such. Anyways I am not interested in stealing anyones spots, just a finger pointing would be very grateful.
Thanks all.

Hi Steve. Im from gippsland and there is a strong gold history. Just do a little research and you will find plenty of info. :Y:

Powelltown, Noojee, Walhalla and places in between. Plenty spots, most creeks are fine but check your exempt list just in case.

You'll do alright if you carry your gear a bit further than the last person to hit the creek.

If you find a spot on a map and you want to explore, give me or Bumdags a yell. I'm just up the road a bit near Traf.

Jez

Hi everyone.

We've just done our SDC 2300 intro training and are keen to start detecting but we live in Central Gippsland.

Any suggestions welcome.
We spent some time detecting up concord Creek (store point) but it's slow with the thick vegetation, terrain and doesn't help needing spinal surgery for the second time.

Interested in the history and ghost towns, have all of Rudis maps etc just not sure of nuggety ground around east Vic. Golden triangle is almost 5 hours drive, seeking areas bit closer to home for weekenders.

Kind Regards

Sorry but I think your best option is to travel to the GT if you want to find gold with the sdc.
While there may be a few places in central Gippsland where there may be a slight chance your best bet is the GT.
Not trying to put you guys off but thats just the way it is unfortunately.

GT stands for golden triangle Im guessing?

I thought as much but my partner is still keen on scanning below a few old mines there, in the creeks. Guy from minelab said he had found smaller nuggets in the concord years ago, in some spots where the ground had slipped into the creek. But many moons ago!

Yes GT is the golden triangle. Dont let me put you off searching old sites though. You never know. :Y:

thank you @trash

we have been finding (no gold) bits and bobs around old historic areas, found a token 1857 and some penny ink wells and allot of old buttons.

we are going for an explore around scarsdale as we are heading that way for a quick visit. that is where my first relatives arrived in Australia and mined for gold. :)

Latest posts