How small can the SDC find!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found this tiny bird shot yesterday. How small is too small?

1526195783_20180513_163246.jpg

1526195840_20180513_163347.jpg

What a wast of time & effort detecting for micro gold is ' when you could be using an earlier ML detector with today's choice of coils that can signal deeper bigger bits !

Its always been the weight of the gold you find that's worth the money '' not the number of tiny stuff :p

jack .

In saying that Outback...or anyone...what would you recommend for the 70Xterra for those hard to find deep nuggets. :p Iwant some and so does me mate Ken.

In saying that Outback...or anyone...what would you recommend for the 705 Xterra for those hard to find deep nuggets...big or small :p I want some and so does me mate Ken... :p He is pack'in a Goldmaster 1000 :cool: ...maybe I'm just not walkin over them! :D

reefer said:
In saying that Outback...or anyone...what would you recommend for the 70Xterra for those hard to find deep nuggets. :p Iwant some and so does me mate Ken.

Hi reefer , as for the 70Xterra :N:
Get a real gold detector like the old 2100/2200SD , add some of the clever coils & you are in the money if there's gold where your swinging .

Cheers
jack .

Well Jack!..I can't do that...It's all I got...there ain't no more..I just thought there might be a coil which may enhance it's capability...it's a question of capacity to pay for me not which is the best detector. :cool:

reefer said:
Well Jack!..I can't do that...It's all I got...there ain't no more..I just thought there might be a coil which may enhance it's capability...it's a question of capacity to pay for me not which is the best detector. :cool:

Fully understand that reefer , I don't bother using detectors as my main tool to score gold these days , have gone back to the old guys method , with advantage :)
I use a new form of dry concentrator after sampling the best dirt .

jack

Yeah with all this Highbanker bulldust goin on, my gang and I have just been concentrating on the least accessible areas we know...(ONLY) by canoe! :Y: and either river sluicing or just pan'n from the crevices... :Y: :Y:

I was detecting an area where I pulled out about 10 sub gram bits and got a faint wobble not really a signal more like a faint ground noise. I took a scoopful of dirt home with me in a zip lock bag, panned it out, and there was a tiny gold nugget! I put it on my scales and it doesn't register. Have also found tiny shards from a bulldozer blade.

Finding big deep gold has its merits, but finding the small sub gram bits can help you figure out how the gold is distributed and where it might be traveling from and to, which is good when you're learning.

Different strategies, both have their merits. My mate kills it with his GP3500, finds big nuggets but less small stuff, but he also digs much deeper holes.

My plan is to save up for a Zed and then go back over all the spots I've found shallow gold with the SDC and pick up all the deep gold I missed :D

Dron said:
My plan is to save up for a Zed and then go back over all the spots I've found shallow gold with the SDC and pick up all the deep gold I missed :D

Scenario - 20 plus year old 2100 SD using good after market coil gets signal to dig , new 7000 ZED can't see that signal , signal is then dug up .

Result is........ ;)

Jack

Outback I gather you never prospected in nth nsw (corner country) bulk of them just sitting on top of ground and all pin head size they all ad up trust me( got enough for fuel wa ) and shade of steel are of the grader when his doing track mtn ,gold gold but it all makes weight

Outback said:
Dron said:

Scenario - 20 plus year old 2100 SD using good after market coil gets signal to dig , new 7000 ZED can't see that signal , signal is then dug up .

Result is........ ;)

Jack

Different scenario, patch flogged by every single gold detector known to man, SDC's are released and find well over 400 little nugs then bugger all left, then Zed comes along and starts pulling reasonable nugs that every other detector including SD2100 couldn't find......

I've found targets that I can barely see with the the SDC, anyway I'm not into gold detecting for the money, just like to find a few bits when I go for a holiday in the goldfields. Only had one goldless trip with the SDC.

Going on that , if you cant handle the weight use a sdc , the Z is heavy and arquad and no idea if your diggin 1 inch or 3 ft deep, for ease of use and user comfort the sdc wins , target pin pointing isa fraction of the time with the sdc :Y: , with the sdc i can dig 100 + targets easily in a day, the Z throws the odd target in that can take 40 minutes,
ideally you would smash a patch and rob all the surface targets with the sdc before even getting the Z out.
I have both and love the Z but somedays are wasted digging what a sdc could get with no pain arm and 50% quicker retrieval.
The Z still finds bits gold pan size :Y: with fine tuning and super trained ears :) , plug and play ,no experience the sdc rocks the small gold , Z users getting sub grammers are just getting desprite because they havent found anything better or are sick of digging deep trash. Imo. :D

Love them both :Y: knowyour area and target size , no point detecting 3 ft deep if its only a surface gold area. ;)

aussiefarmer said:
It will find as small as your hearing lets you

Pretty much sums it up :) :Y:

The smallest I have weighed was .04g, but I have read others have found .02g

Things I have found helpful with the SDC...

Plenty of gardening - rake or remove as much surface material as you can; sticks, leaves, loose rocks etc
Grid an area rather than random wandering
Work slowly and ALWAYS keep your coil touching the ground

Latest posts