⭐ Gemstone & Mineral Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scored this interesting sapphire crystal today, small and dark but intriguing 8)

1526195012_daf19428-f461-4dd8-9bcb-40ca3daa705d.jpg

1526195049_874775ee-c144-4659-891b-d1756d22e3b5.jpg

Ok, the bug bit me good and I had to go back for some more freezing finger punishment. Explored a few other creeks and rivers but the best ones all came from the Weld. I'm completely new to this so don't really know if any of these are worth cutting so any feedback would be appreciated. I realize that it takes close inspection to know for sure but the one at 6 o'clock has a beautiful blue green colour and appears crack free against the light. Does it look big enough to cut?
1530250595_rps20180629_152720.jpg
1530250613_rps20180629_152823.jpg

Have you got a set of scales Dave ?

Good news - awesome colour and anything can be cut :Y:

Aussie news - rule of thumb, if you can cut yourself, go for it. :party: if over 5ct it would be wise to find a good local cutter and invest in the stones cut quality. If under, consider sending to Thailand for cheap cutting.

Nah, no scales. Might take them to a jeweler and see if they can weigh and have a look at them. Don't think I'd better have a go at them myself, all I've got is an angle grinder at this stage! Would eventually like to get some proper cutting gear but might have to sell a few first to get it past the handbrake.

Found this the other week but I think it's probably glass. Has 2 flat sides like glass, and would be about 1cm thick. No idea what sort of glass it could be or how it got there. It's not clear either, has a nice colour to it. Don't think it could be from a bottle because bottles are rounded and don't really have flat spots. Also found some good rutile, opal and beryl.
1530269330_p6291040.jpg

Pic of the beryl crystal, first one from a different spot. Has a fair bit of taper from one end to the other. Still not quite aquamarine or emerald, actually thought it was a bit of opal when I picked it up and only worked out what it was later while cleaning it.
1530526360_p7021040.jpg

No, if you hit it with a hammer on the corner and get a chip... Hit chip with hammer and see how much force it takes to crush... Easy force =Glass... Harder force its Obsidian.. Or was it the other way around... :rolleyes:

LW...

Latest posts