goldfield for newbie

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi everyone

i got my first detector, a makro gold racer not long ago. have tried it a couple of times in the muckleford area, but didn't find any yellow yet.

i know that i still have to learn a lot about reading the ground and also the detector,but i was wondering if there is any goldfield where it might be easier for a beginner to learn, or are they all the same?

is it just best to pick one and learn, work it until finding some?

thanx

dtaamar thong said:
hi everyone

i got my first detector, a makro gold racer not long ago. have tried it a couple of times in the muckleford area, but didn't find any yellow yet.

Definitely keep working around Muckleford. Areas of Muckleford state forest are known for small, shallow gold.

Have you been finding small pieces of lead shot? If not go to the Smiths Reef area (enter via Gower School road or Smiths Reef Track off Castlemaine-Maldon road), which has a fair amount of rubbish, then try to hone your skills on finding small pieces of lead shot. If you can find small pieces of lead shot then you will find gold when you walk over it.

Latest posts