Minelab GPX5000 tips, settings and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heatho said:
No he actually backed over his detector with his 4x4 as it was leaning against the back of it. Nothing about jamming one in a door, that must be a different unfortunate incident. :)

Sheesh, he certainly has an uncanny way of treating his detectors. :eek:

diggin4gold said:
Heatho said:
No he actually backed over his detector with his 4x4 as it was leaning against the back of it. Nothing about jamming one in a door, that must be a different unfortunate incident. :)

Hard man in hard country :Y:
I remember when he posted that up after running it over. There was a picture of it somewhere - mangled & showing it still working from memory.

mbasko said:
diggin4gold said:
Heatho said:

Hard man in hard country :Y:
I remember when he posted that up after running it over. There was a picture of it somewhere - mangled & showing it still working from memory.

Yep, he sure is one very hard act to follow........ Full of enthusiasm and boy he could talk about rocks all day long. :Y:
I remember him telling me how much he loves looking at rocks when he was still in Narooma, just before he moved out to live his dream with his better half . :Y:

I've got the same problem. Charged batteries as normal, hit the GT and So much static noise that detector was unusable with headphones, I tried speaker with the same result. Luckily I had a spare battery so the failure of minelab component did not stop play.
I disassembled battery this morning to have a look see. I'll try again tomorrow based on suggestions in this thread and keep you posted. :Y:

Hi All

Just after some advice/ information for a 71yo old timer friend that has a GPX 5000 his got an old evo 15inch coil that came with the detector, his really struggling with it and hasnt found anything of yet and has asked me if I can find out what the most sensitive coil is for it, also if someone could give me a good settings setup for it for WA would be please so I could pass that information on to him as well.
He said his had training on it but Im not sure if his forgotten or what the go is but just thought Id ask anyway to see if it helps him out a little.

Thanks everyone for any help an information as its greatly appreciated.
Cheers

A new 12x8 evo is due to be released in the next few month will be a good coil for older people as for the weight factor ,if he is after a coil today look at a 14x9 evo I believe with any detector have a smooth threshold on a 5000 use fine gold regards john :Y:

This is how I run a gpx with a minelab coil

Motion slow
Gain 11
Nirmal in audio
Stabilizer 9
Signal around 19
Target volume 9 or 10
Response - normal
Tracking - medium
Iron reject off
Target volume - 64 (or what ever suits your hearing)

On the front panel
Always in fixed mode but don't forget to balance regularly
Special
Mono
Search mode - general

This settings has found me bits smaller than .5 grams in around the kalgoorlie, menzies, lenora and laverton areas using a standard mine lab coil.

All the best with the settings

The 15 coil should be sensitive enough to very small stuff , especially in WA

Does he still have the original commander 11 ..?

Getting some hours with that should get the confidence back

There is a new Coiltek 9 Elite coil

Keep at it

8" Detech mono or Commander for really hot ground, or 14x9" evo in not so bad ground.

The 6" Detech is also super sensitive, but so hard to commit to it as you cover hardly any ground.

PhaseTech said:
8" Detech mono or Commander for really hot ground, or 14x9" evo in not so bad ground.

The 6" Detech is also super sensitive, but so hard to commit to it as you cover hardly any ground.

I think he was after something around 12-14 inch coil.
And yes he detects in WA so theres loads of iron stone everywhere so itll be reasonably hot ground I recon.

Cheers

bhogg said:
I think he was after something around 12-14 inch coil.
And yes he detects in WA so theres loads of iron stone everywhere so itll be reasonably hot ground I recon.

Cheers

I'd go the 12" Evo then. Very sensitive, good depth and still very light. Also handles hot soils a little better than the 14x9.

Hi guys I'm after a bit of advice regarding the longevity of a fairly used 5000. Does any one know if the PI mechanics wear out over time?
Or does the manufacturer deem the machine ineffective (in their eyes) after the warranty period?
I've been offered a pretty good deal on a used 5000 but it has a few hours on it and I'd rather wait and pay a bit more than buy a lemon.
Cheers

Hi guys around 4 years. I'm pretty certiant it's not a fake.
I'll call minelab tomorrow with the serial number to make sure.

The deal comes with 4 nugget finders , 12x8 17x13, 17x11, 12 mono 20inch round + the 2 standard commanders 2 batteries heap of extras leads ect..

Hard to pass up!

My old 4500 was a 2009 model. It is genuine and original battery still goes a solid days detecting. No problems at all. Minelab = quality. Just check the serial number. Make sure its legit. Even if it is out warranty minelab will still fix it if something does go wrong down the track.

If its been sitting in a back of ute ,vibration is a killer to them reeds wear inside and moisture ,people leave them in the open at night

Im going around now to have a look, I'll check for wear on the unit.

Thanks guys

Latest posts