Minelab Equinox 800 tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:eek: So'd'ya get it back yet Smoky 8)
Hope it's a screamer for ya now...... :p ...Like a Gold'n'Silver magnet :rainbow: :party:
Get'a swing'n Bud :cool: :Y:

Hi all, I am an absoloute newbie to the field of metal/gold detecting and am looking at purchasing a Minelab Equinox 800 Multi IQ as my first metal detector. Looking at trying my luck at Gympie and then possibly Clermont with the family. What i'm asking is this detector a good first detector. Thanks in advance.

For treasure hunting it's a great detector, for gold nugget hunting it might get you some success but it will be a stuggle. I tried my Nox 800 in the goldfields last time I went nugget hunting and it was difficult to use but the the ground is quite mineralised where I go. In lower mineralisation it should be easier to use. Anyway I put mine back in the fourby and got my SDC2300 out, scored a small nugget not long after.

Anyway as Nuggetbuster said, there are much better detectors for gold hunting.

Mick71 said:
Hi all, I am an absoloute newbie to the field of metal/gold detecting and am looking at purchasing a Minelab Equinox 800 Multi IQ as my first metal detector. Looking at trying my luck at Gympie and then possibly Clermont with the family. What i'm asking is this detector a good first detector. Thanks in advance.

Start with a sdc2300 if you can afford, give yourself the best chance from the get go. It's an uncomfortable and least ergonomically designed detector I have used but I can't recall a time I turned it on and didn't find gold with it.

Thanks for the responses. I only really want to spend around a grand on my first detector, to see if I like it, in saying that though, spending more on a better machine will ensure I get some gold, which will keep me interested and looking for that bigger find. Bit confused Now

Mick71 said:
Thanks for the responses. I only really want to spend around a grand on my first detector, to see if I like it, in saying that though, spending more on a better machine will ensure I get some gold, which will keep me interested and looking for that bigger find. Bit confused Now
Just remember mate..Just because you have a good gold detector...Does not ensure you will find gold .Good luck on you quest :D :Y:

Got one

1532837216_nox.jpg

Covering all the bases. After a couple of days owning this machine its turned up loads of finds with many very small and quite deep. No yellow yet but only spent a couple of hours in the hills chasing it. Not fair to judge yet on that type of non-ferrous.

Hi Mick

I know it can be a big decision on weather to get something find gold but honestly as suggested above youll have a LOT Better chance of finding gold with a dedicated gold detector like the SDC is and its easy to use and at the end of the day if for some reason you decide that you dont like the hobby you can sell it and youll still pretty much get your money back as there a very popular detector, or just hire one or borrow one to see if you like it!.
Id suggest the Gold Monster 1000 But Ive had and personally know of so many that have the falsing issue or touch/bump sensitivity issues so for that reason only I cant personally recommend them.
But best of luck with your decision.

Hi Mick,

Congrats on the purchase. Welcome to the club where all you do is dream about that next piece of gold. You success with the machine will come down to your dedication, perseverance and obviously the areas that you swing the coil. You may be one of the lucky ones who finds something of value on your first trip out or you may end up like most of us and spend most of your time unearthing junk. The machine has the capacity to find gold but your challenge will be to research areas, learn how to use the machine and listen carefully to what the detector is trying to tell you. If you can spend some time with someone who has a bit of experience, they will help you get started. Good luck and best wishes.

Cheers

Les

Congratulations on the purchase Mick I have one and absolutely love it but as others have said not a full on
gold -detector, But having said that I am heading down to the golden triangle in a month with my friends and there
Flash 9000 odd dollar detectors wouldn't it be great to fluke a good one and show them up LOL.
Goodluck I am sure you will enjoy it :Y: :Y: :D

Diggertrev said:
Congratulations on the purchase Mick I have one and absolutely love it but as others have said not a full on
gold -detector, But having said that I am heading down to the golden triangle in a month with my friends and there
Flash 9000 odd dollar detectors wouldn't it be great to fluke a good one and show them up LOL.
Goodluck I am sure you will enjoy it :Y: :Y: :D
Anxiously awaiting the photos with a yellow tinge.

Latest posts