good first gold detector - suggestions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

After reading the mixed reviews on the GPZ7000 (price, weight, build quality etc..) i'm not fully convinced i want to venture into the GPZ but am looking for a good detector to buy (unit and coil combo)

Basically, a friend has a SDC2300 (which is good for the smaller shallow gold) and i wanted to get something which mainly cover bigger deeper nuggets. Alot of the reviews out there saying some of the GPX's with latest coils (probably coiltek) can perform almost as good as a gpz, so i'm leaning towards getting a lower end model but combine it with a good coil to get similar performance.

Can anyone provide me a few good unit/coil suggestions, not too fussed about price for now but would even consider the older model detectors if they perform really good on deeper nuggets with a good coil.

thanks.

Hi milsnippers and welcome to the forum. You should be able to get a used GPX in 4000, 4500, or even 5000 between $3500 to $5000 with various accessories. Just remember that you will need 10 posts to buy anything advertised in the for sale section so get posting.

Cheers

Doug

Welcome mate

Read post and above enjoy yourself. ask any questions you may have and they are sure to be answered by the many as they come across them.

milsnippers said:
Hi,

After reading the mixed reviews on the GPZ7000 (price, weight, build quality etc..) i'm not fully convinced i want to venture into the GPZ but am looking for a good detector to buy (unit and coil combo)

Basically, a friend has a SDC2300 (which is good for the smaller shallow gold) and i wanted to get something which mainly cover bigger deeper nuggets. Alot of the reviews out there saying some of the GPX's with latest coils (probably coiltek) can perform almost as good as a gpz, so i'm leaning towards getting a lower end model but combine it with a good coil to get similar performance.

Can anyone provide me a few good unit/coil suggestions, not too fussed about price for now but would even consider the older model detectors if they perform really good on deeper nuggets with a good coil.

thanks.

Hi mate, if you want to find gold consistently, regardless of size, then get yourself an SDC2300.

If you'd rather find fewer but better pieces, and want to get close to GPZ performance but for less money, then the GPX4500 with a NF 15" Evo or Detech 15" Super Deep Mono will get you very close. Add a SteelPhase enhancer and you will have a very powerful combo. The 5000 is a little better again, and will get you closer to SDC performance on smaller gold, especially with a 14x9" Evo or 11" Detech Ultra, but for more money. I've seen a few used 5000's pop up recently with various coils for pretty attractive prices.

If buying used, try find one that has some warranty remaining, just in case something isn't quite right with it.

Cheers,

Nenad

Latest posts