Stones I have cut

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lefty said:
Dihusky said:
Love the stone Lefty, it really dances. Thanks for putting the cutting design link up, filed away for a future project.

Cheers Dihusky. Yep, she really dances when you see it moving. Nice looking design, the pavilion can be a little frustrating to cut though. Could have been just me though. Definitely worth cutting in topaz and I'd like to see it in a higher ri stone.

Got some Nano on its way, Charcoal and a Bi-colour, yes I know it's a synthetic, but with a RI of 1.65-1.7 ideal for this, also give me a chance to cut in the 15-20ct range, so would love to try this design on a piece to see what it can produce.

Haha nah I didn't I was looking down at it though I get back tomorrow at about 4.00 it's pissing down and it's windy and cold down here at the moment

Dihusky said:
Lefty said:
Dihusky said:
Love the stone Lefty, it really dances. Thanks for putting the cutting design link up, filed away for a future project.

Cheers Dihusky. Yep, she really dances when you see it moving. Nice looking design, the pavilion can be a little frustrating to cut though. Could have been just me though. Definitely worth cutting in topaz and I'd like to see it in a higher ri stone.

Got some Nano on its way, Charcoal and a Bi-colour, yes I know it's a synthetic, but with a RI of 1.65-1.7 ideal for this, also give me a chance to cut in the 15-20ct range, so would love to try this design on a piece to see what it can produce.

Sounds ideal. Actually, I reckon the bi-colour might create a pretty cool effect!

Always diggin said:
Haha nah I didn't I was looking down at it though I get back tomorrow at about 4.00 it's pissing down and it's windy and cold down here at the moment

Would you believe it's much the same here at the moment?

A little Pharaoh's eye sapphire from Rubyvale in a round brilliant, 0.7 carat. Interesting things, the core of the sapphire crystal is one colour (usually yellow) while the surrounding stone is a different colour, in this case a deep blue.

The rough stone was well-shaped to allow me to place the "eye" exactly in the culet and the effect is that of a bright silver star (it's actually light yellow but looks silver) floating right in the middle of the stone. Because it's at the junction of the 8 main facets, the star not only looks like a real star in a night sky, it actually "twinkles" as the stone is moved and rotated. Stone is very deep blue but does show flashes of colour as it moves in addition to the star which is the standout feature.

Stone is offered in the for sale section of the forum.

1525891068_32116444_10155525823925959_8839877473601585152_o.jpg

A nice little light yellow-green sapphire from Rubyvale (as most of my sapps are), again in a round brilliant, 0.9 carat.

1525891274_32074074_10155525818085959_5643234272690044928_n.jpg

A light orange-honey coloured zircon from Reward in a modified Princess cut, 2.5 carat. Approx 8mm square.

1525891956_32074867_10155525828470959_2238441116774957056_n.jpg

Cheers mate. That Pharaoh's eye is quite an unusual stone when you see it moving. It was the end off a bigger stone (in dad's possession now) that unfortunately didn;t show the same effect.

Ok, missus bought me a new tablet for my birthday, with abit of luck I'll learn to use camera on it well enough to take some reasonable photos. First attempt, hopefully will get better....

Lowmead smoky in "Checkmate", an interesting and unusual design that creates reflections that are a true, actual checker whichs leads to some interesting optical effects.......

1526527024_20180516_193124_012_01.jpg

1526527057_20180516_193124_001_01.jpg

1526527090_20180516_193138_009_01.jpg

1526527122_20180516_193138_008_01.jpg

1526527152_20180516_193138_012_01.jpg

Cheers mate, yep the weather is finally getting a bit more friendly for swinging picks and shovels - no chance of heat stroke for a while now :) Hopefully we'll all catch up over the next few months.

That smoky is one of those the Rockhound and I found in that pipe. I'd like to be able to take a video and post it, it's the most unusual effect when you see it moving, a lot like a computer screen covered in pixels flashing on and off.

That's a really nice looking stone mate it's certainly an unusual design but it definitely looks great I'm sure it would look fantastic in person :Y:

It's definately something different to the normal designs. Actually, I reckon it might look good as a matched pair of earring stones :Y:

Pat Hogen said:
Excuse me, where is Lowmead please?

Gday Pat.

Lowmead is a tiny locality in central QLD, not far off the Bruce Highway (the main highway going up the coast from Brisbane to Cairns) about 30km from the town of Miriam Vale (which is on the highway) and not too far from the tourist spots of Agnes water/ Seventeen Seventy.

It has a nice little pub, a school, about a dozen houses but not much else. The original amethyst diggings are on Clarke's road, only about 5km from the township.

While word from local property owners confirms that quartz crystals - including amethyst and smoky crystals - occur all over the Lowmead area, only the spot on Clarke's road is open to the public.

Clarke's road has been very heavily dug over but pockets of crystals still remain. Some very nice amethyst crystals have come from there.

Some smokeys found at Clarkes road by myself and others (scroll down the whole page)

A very nice amethyst crystal found by Rockhound at Clarkes road

I faceted it for him, it's a superb stone, just trying to find the piccy.

I can give you some directions if you like Pat?

Lowmead is a fairytale..... :lol:
born of mist and lost ways n a bloke lookin for sand to take home in the ute. :eek:

Latest posts