fossicking rules nsw

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod H

rod
Reaction score
If I have a permit to fossick in national parks in nsw am i able to bring home buckets of dirt to sluice at home ? cheers

I doubt it. How would you be filling the holes that you would be removing buckets full of dirt from?
Have you got a National Parks permit?
My understanding is that any approved NPWS permits in NSW will have your fossicking method & permit conditions outlined? Can't see them agreeing to the removal of buckets of dirt off site?

Mate, NPWS do not issue anything like a fossicking permit, to the best of my knowledge. :/ ..However NSW Forestry does. :p You can apply on line or even over the phone if you have a Debit/Credit. card. As of when I re-newed mine, it was $27.50 for 12months.
Your best aim in terms of bringing any material home, is to process on site, then bring back your (hopefully) paydirt to process. It is not hard to cover over your digsite...using your tailings and redistributing on-site material that's close at hand. It need not be, that you fill your hole perfectly level and totally restored...IMO, the thing is not to leave a gaping great chasm for your fellow prospector to break a fetlock in :p It can be a good idea to retain some of the local plant-life that you disturb initially, without disturbing too much of the root-ball and replace them before you leave the sit. :Y: Cheers :Y: Rossco.

NPWS do have means to issue a permit under their new Fossicking Poilcy:
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/topics/parks-reserves-and-protected-areas/park-policies/fossicking
That's why I asked if you had one - thought you may have been the first I'd heard of. :rainbow:
Processing on site & taking home your concentrates is a totally different scenario than just removing buckets of material for processing at home.
The NSW Guidelines state:
"Any fossicking site must be left in a clean and tidy condition. If you have disturbed the site you need to restore it as close as possible to its pre-disturbed condition. Soil, rock or other material that has been excavated must be replaced before you make any further excavations."
The NSW State Forest permit states much the same on their list of conditions.
It remains to be seen what conditions NPWS will put on any approved permits but rest assured their conditions will not be anything less than those stated in the NSW Fossicking Guidelines.

Mbasko... thank you for pointing out the fact that fossicking permits are available through NPWS. :p But I would hazard to say, with the greatest respect to you sir.. that the conditions under which such a 'permit' be granted, virtually ensure that such a request will not be granted in any place other than the two places to which their policy refers and that even then the conditions they impose upon the prospective 'permittee' will virtually ensure that the said 'permittee' withdraws his request.IMO. :/
Until there is a paradigm shift in the attitude, structure,and policies of this organisation away from it's near Fascist leanings and the National Parks accessibility is handed back to the people. (those areas of cultural and traditional significance to the small time prospectors and fossickers) ...at least... I will continue to advise those who ask to just steer clear of that Pompous power- greedy organisation in favour of the much more accessible and far more pragmatic Policies of the nsw Forestry Commission and their dedicated and helpful staff.
I remain your respectful friend Rossco

No worries Reefer but the OP did say "If I have a permit to fossick in national parks in nsw" which lead me to think he may have been approved & have a permit (or applied for one). There was no question of which is better NP vs State Forest from the OP.
Obviously NSW State Forests have a far better access arrangement & permit system for fossickers in NSW. That's not the initial question or under debate here.
As far as your comments re: NPWS in many instances I would have previously fully agreed.
It has been my experience though (yes I've actually been thru the process & applied for a NPWS permit outside of the 2 x areas with already existing permission where a permit is NOT required) that at least here locally they have been very approachable & helpful with it. Locally they have no problem with my application which was basically done to the conditions of the pre-existing NSW Fossicking Guidelines for all areas in NSW. No further conditions have been discussed to date.
My application is at this stage looking promising & sits with the NPWS Area Manager for final approval which the local bloke says should not be a problem.
It can be a somewhat convoluted or daunting process for a lot I guess but if you have a NP area in mind I would recommend having a crack at it. There is a lot of areas around in NSW NP that are virtually virgin ground to modern methods or in some cases under explored. ;)
Edit:
P.s. IMO the more people who go thru this process will hopefully lead to NPWS streamlining their current system or possibly even naming more areas with existing permission without a need for a permit.
The fact that they are now even looking at & considering an application in a positive light is a huge step to me.

mbasko..I am pleased for you that your experience with NPWS.has been a fruitful one.Perhaps it's to do with the attitude of your local area management.My experience is confined to the 'head-office' :rolleyes: in Sydney.Having requested on one occasion for information as to what areas in the Shoalhaven might be opened to fossicking...I can only say that their response was more like that of a CIA interrogation.! :eek: On my latest contact with them I rang them 36hours before the start of a pre-booking I had made in relation to Hillend Village Campground.,I wished to move the date of my arrival forward by two days.I was asked what reason I had for making such a request. I informed them that my reasons were of a 'Personal Nature'...it was turned over to a 'Supervisor'...probably KGB. ORIENTATED! :rolleyes He informed me that 'personal reasons' are not considered and that if no concrete reasons were forthcoming then...unfortunately no change to the booking could be made. This resulted in me forfeiting my first two nights acc. and the payment of a further two nights to take into account my last two nights there.All this could have been done by simply moving my booking forward by two days! :mad: But in any case after reading the l requirements of there policy regarding fossicking..including the one referring to the sterilisation of all tools to be used I can see no way anybody could comply with the full gambit of restrictions! 8) It is my understanding that some headway is being made on these issues with Napfa's continuing negotiations..ie 'accessibility'..I am not holding my breath on that one though. :p But mate I concur with you, in that the inroads you maybe making with your local outfit may well prove to be advantageous to our cause and I wish all the best on that front.I am sure you will keep us informed of any further dealings you may have. :Y: :Y: Kindest regards Rossco. :cool:

While I was reading NPWS consent to fossick rules, I spotted this nugget -
14. Any consent to fossick will define the areas to which it applies and set conditions. These conditions may include, but are not limited to:

"requiring fossickers to ensure that all their equipment is sterilised before entering or exiting a park, to prevent the spread of pathogens"

NPWS will have some fun trying to police that one. :D

Sterilization of equipment, footwear and vehicles is a pretty common requirement both in the government and private sector. It's mainly to do with the spread of weeds. One bit of Lantana or similar invasive species can lead to huge issues and costs if transported into a new area.

Matt80, Yes your right weeds and Pathogens can be introduced on the shoes and equipment of peoples.But reality is that it would be a rare occasion IMO. Far more weeds and Pathogens are blown in on the wind in the form of seed and spores though.And in much of the ares east of Nowra for instance which are under NPWS 'management' if you want to call it that, the creeks and water ways that they are so protective of ...are infested with Lantana camara and bloody thickets of Blackberry the likes of which are so rampant it will take decades to eradicate...There way of management is to lock the gates upon which they then hang a sign that say's Weed Control Area.That's not management that's just a bloody-minded way of doing nothing at all. :rolleyes:

It's of prime importance to actively work to eradicate, or at least control the majority of exotic weeds that get brought into areas. The whole point to existence for a plant, is seed dispersal, and until recently ( the last ten years) we had workers on the ground spraying and chipping in a management plan that worked.

Now...that workforce has been more than eradicated - whole departments have been made defunct.

Therefore, when you see headers and other equipment on the Newell, know that that big bastard of a machine has been gone over with a fine tooth comb before it left the last property. And those woolies you see being transported from one property to another are segregated from the new property by isolation for at least 48 hours, if not 72, so that any undigested seed in their gut is shat out in the yards.

This stuff is serious. And doing nothing but isolating an area is an option in any weed management plan.

Yeah l get that reefer, we have a similar issue with the goat eradication program on all the islands off the coast of Queensland. The Greenies considered them a pest because the aren't native, but they were the only thing keeping a lot of invasive weeds under control (especially prickly pear and Lanta, they don't eradicate either, but they severely slow their spread). Our land management programs are all greatly underfunded and our recent changes to land clearing laws in question will make the situation a whole lot worse.

Still even though a lot of seeds/spore spread by natural means and lots of places are already invested, it would be pretty stupid of anyone to go into any none infested area without giving their gear a decent clean as just a bit of dry dirt with a seed in it might mean a whole stream being infested ten years down the track.

Latest posts