Minelab Equinox Settings

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Though I'd start a thread on settings people are using to customise Nox programs.

Ok, today I hit my ol silver honey hole to see if I could find any silvers among the trash, this spot is trashy to the extreme, I did manage to find quite a few pre dec coins. I was using "Park 1". The first 50% silver sixpence was a bit of a fluke, most of the trash at this spot was in the second tone region and it was difficult to get a grasp on all the target audio and TID's. The sixpence was a solid 19 which is the last number before the third tone region, the third tone region is where goldies come in at mostly 21 just into the third tone region.

First thing I did after that was to adjust the tone break on the third region back two notches to 18, the second sixpence came very soon after that. :)

Anyway, my recommendation is is that if you don't want to miss and 50% sixpences then you should do what I did a drop the third tone region tone break back to 18, any sixpences will not escape you then if you are using a 5 tone setup in heavy trash.

I also had to increase the recovery speed from 5 to 7 as there was so much trash that speed 5 just didn't cut it.

Keen to see how and why others are customising settings as well. :Y:

That's cool. I did basically the same thing.

But I still find myself too tempted to dig low ID's. I can't help myself.

Heatho said:
I know what you mean Rick but this spot there are just way too many targets, about 20-30 beeps per swing (BPS lol). :)

I haven't heard much about lead. But I have hit quite a few nice sounding targets that were bits of solid lead. Old roof screws from old school and other rolled up strips.
I can't recall exactly, but it was a strong high ID, well in the 20's. Gets me every time.

In the gold game, lead is the next closest sound to gold. In the coin game, lead is higher than gold. :rolleyes:

Also I am used to prospecting for gold, but is it normal for bronze coins around 8 inches deep to throw jumpy ID's from 10's to 30's if they are on their side?

Gold can be nearly anywhere on the scale Rick, depening on alloy. The rings I've found with the CTX have been between 12:05 and 12:44, which is a huge variation. The 23k ring I have that was 12:44 on the CTX is a 32 on the Nox which is very high for gold but I think it's due to the silver content in the ring, it's a chinese gold ring. That's the problem looking for gold, gotta dig everything..... even with a good discriminating detector. Also a nice sold white gold ring I got threw a 12:14, exactly the same as a 10c coin.

Unfortunately 50% Thrips can come in as low as 16 as Rockhound and I have found on our sites, something you wouldn't dig in trashy ground.And the sov's will be only slightly higher :(

Heatho said:
20-30 beeps per swing (BPS lol). :)

Same as around here many targets per swing. I used field 1 the other day with 2 tones, with the first break at 19 and I turned down the audio to 3 for that lot and 25 for the rest. It worked really well for the goldie's as that's all I was chasing for the day. I found 8 $2 coins and not one $1 coin.lol

Guys I'm losing my mind here trying to figure out how to get the equinox to give clear repeatable signals in the water. I've played around with the recovery speed, and iron bias a bit. I've tried manual and automation gb along with adding 4-5 on the manual gb like someone recommended elsewhere. I've asked about on tnet and no one seems to know what I'm on about but it seems like all those guys are hunting the wet/dry sand. People seem defensive there or scratch their heads anytime anyone mentions the equinox isn't the perfect end all machine.

I'd love to get it working in the water as that's where I primarily hunt. On the wet sand it is great, but I'm much more interested in hunting in the water and feel like I'm loosing out on a ton of goodies by being stuck on land.

Hello Hooka....I love detecting in the water...Beach 2 is for under water..Sensitivity to 18_20..That's all. You need to do.Solid objects will give good repeatable tone..If not it's either not solid or you have something wrong with your machine. :Y:

I'm wondering if I have EMI issues at some of the beaches or there is an issue with my coil. The 15 freaks out and gives me constant readings for low signals, the stock gives a ton of falsing all the time too but more in the iron region and. Maybe there is an issue with the machine. Its fine on dry land which is confusing. I'll try some beaches that dont have any cell towers around and give it a few more hours.

Hookka,
What sensitivity are you running at? Have you tried reducing your sensitivity?
Have you carried out a factory reset?
Do you carry out a tune at initial switch on? Also ensure your bluetooth is turned off just to make sure that isn't the source of the problem.

I've usually had to reduce to about 16 to get it to calm down at all, I'll try the factory reset tomorrow. I always tune it out and keep the bluetooth off and run wired waterproof headphones.

I'll give it another shot but I doubt that's the issue, the sensitivity is the first thing I checked when running in the water.

Hookka said:
I noticed the beach overload sign is always on, maybe the ground is too highly mineralized on my beaches.

That's caused by black sand, according to the manual:

1547017700_eq_beach.jpg

I reread and saw that too. We don't have a ton of black sand where I'm at, I'm pretty confused. Maybe I can't see it or something but the sand is pretty mold around here typically. It runs really clean on the shoreline. I guess I'm going to have to stick to the PI machine at those beaches. It's a shame, I was really hoping to filter out the iron when I'm in the water.

Latest posts