Nugget pendant

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, let me first say I'm very new to fossicking for everything but I first got interested in gold because i wanted to find the gold to make my partners and my wedding ring in the next 3 years or so (she doesn't know this is why i have gold fever).

Getting to the point, I've found this lovely heart shaped nugget the ill never melt and want to make it into a necklace pendant somehow and would love any info on how to possible do this myself. It weighs 1.92g and has a few small bits of quartz in it which i want to keep in it.

Thanks in advance.

1525597071_2018-05-06_18.46.16.jpg

Hey josh, personally I don't think that it is big enough for a pendant, mind you just my opinion. I was at a coin show today and a number of stalls had gold nuggets as pendants and the best looking was 5 grams. Great shape, good size and fantastic colour.
I would save that one and add it to the rest for smelting into the personalised rings.
Mackka

Nice find there Josh. My auntie has a pendant made from a single raw nugget and it looks quite good though it's a little larger than the one you have there.

To make a ring requires the gold to be alloyed in correct proportions - gold that is getting close to pure is too soft. A member of my old lapidary club once found a decent little nugget and made a man's ring from it himself, it turned out looking schmick he reckons. Wore it to work the next day and snapped it in half. Rings are subject to a lot more stress and knocks than pendants and earrings because they are on the hands.

I'm pretty sure it would be do-able with your own gold as long as you can get it smelted, purifed and then made into the correct alloy (some proportion of silver and/or copper is usually added I think).

I think the Perth Mint might do this?

I have just finished getting an engagement ring made from my own gold. I got it done from a local jewlers in Adelaide but i am sure most jewelers will be able to help.
It turned out great, it doesnt make it any cheaper with the refining costs but suspect your doing it for the sentimental value as I did.
I suppled x amount of clean, inclusion free nuggets, they got them refined into 18ct blob and used my gold to fabricate the ring design i picked.
:Y:

It turned out great, it doesnt make it any cheaper with the refining costs but suspect your doing it for the sentimental value as I did.

Yep, there's just something special about taking something you found yourself - gold, gemstones or both - and seeing it transformed into the finished item :Y:

Latest posts