Exempt rivers and creeks Victoria - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found a dry gully that i want to clean some crevices in but there isnt any water close by except a creek that is on the exempt list.
Is it legal to pan off the gravel from the gully in a exempt creek
Ive done some googling but cant find an answer.
Any help or links will be appreciated :)

I suppose i could take some type of tub and pan off in the gully.
Its just a bit of a hike and i like to be as light on gear as possible.

I think i will have to patrick. Unless i can find something in writing that says i can, i will go with AF's idea or find somewhere else to prospect

Email earth resources and that way you'll hopefully receive a reply in writing with the info your after. I'd say at a minimum you'll get a response wether it answers your question is a waiting game. If a response doesn't answer your question entirely resend their response and ask for a definitive answer regarding your initial question. Some times you just have to dig in and play hard ball hopefully you don't. If you go down this path whatever you do don't let them off the hook if they won't give you a clear cut yes or no with copies of legislation supporting their response. Good luck.

Thanks for the advise outback :Y:
I was trying to avoid hauling the concentrates back to the car as it is a pretty big walk and steap terrain aswell.
Its will be eaiser to get to and from the gully to the creek, so i will take some type of tub and fill it with creek water for panning. Its not ideal but it will have to do until i get word back from earth resorces.

Thanks again for the replys guys

Interesting thread. I have panned out some creviced pay dirt in the middle of town in a highly populated area. Caused some excitement amongst the locals until I told them it's from 200kms west. As for legality the gravel n rock looked very different to the local rock. If it looked similar might be an issue as you say.

Got this response back this week.

thanks for your inquiry
Busily, the 'Exempt' rivers are NOT allowed to be prospected using a Miner's Right or collecting gravel from the river.

you can review the information on our web site:
http://www.energyandresources.vic.gov.au/earth-resources/recreational-prospecting-and-fossicking
If you have further inquiries, please call on the number below

kind regards

I replyed that i was not prospecting an exempt creek or collecting gravels at an exempt creek and just wanted to wash concentrates from elswhere in an exempt creek.
I can only think that washing concentrates is also prospecting.
Oh well, i will be carting in a tub it looks like

You need to consider the following: Ok you strike fantastic gold in your dry creek bed.
Over a period of time you cart 15 trailer loads of material to the flowing creek where prospecting is not permitted.
You process all of that new material in that waterway? Most likely it contains a significant amount of clay particles
which result in a turbidity increase and increased sedimentation to that waterway and a noticeable hole in the
dried out water course. If someone sees you and steals your spot and then posts it online you may end up with
hoards of material transported and deposited in a new location where its not meant to be.

This flags up as a negative impact to those that oppose prospecting and new laws are made to limit, exclude, ban & outlaw your hobby.

Best to use the seasons to your advantage waiting till water appears at your spot then testing it, to see what you have. ;)

True, true swimging & digging

I will wait and see if the dry gully gets any water over winter but in the meantime i think i will continue reserching different spots. If it doesnt get any water flow during winter, its going to be a real pain in the arse carting water around the bush

Latest posts