Garrett Infinium LS only humming!?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everybody.

Just got exited about prospecting and finding lost stuff, so bought for our diving center detector. I'm total newbie in this field, but good at assembling things and repairing them.
Got home with detector, happy as child in Christmas eve. Assembled it, it was not difficult at all. Everything good, and first try in house, just to see, if it starts up. I know there a lot's of metal around and under floor.
It started up, and went quite crazy with peeping hi-lo, as I was expecting. Then after 10 sec or so, it silenced up and only humming (buzzing) sound remained. Ok, I thought it must been GB with floor and steel whats lays beneath. So I went out, little bit away from house and switched it on again. Nothing! Only this humming sound. Try'd to GB it again with slow and fast position with no difference. Try'd to change frequency but nothing happened, just this humming. Yes all cabel connections checked and rechecked, no bent pins.
Shortly: When I switch on the unit, I hear one battery beep, then humming follows and nothing seems to change that. Doesn't matter witch button i turn on witch position, same constant humming remains. Only button that changes anything are sound buttons on earphones. I can make it louder or quaieter, can direct the sound to one or other ear, that's it.
I try'd 3 different sets of battery, Same story. I got one time to hear 4 battery beeps, but then again hummmmm.

I really don't know what to do.
Please Help!

Nero

Thank you for quick response!

Yes tested already without coil, exact same result :(
Yes spent 2 days reading manuals and forums how to GB and are there similar problems around. No, seems nobody wroute about this problem. At least I could not find any.
BTW, there is no troubleshooting section in manual. This was the first place I looked.
Any ideas?

Nero

I found that nearly every issue I had with my infinium was either plug/ cable shielding or coil related, though most of those issues resulted in constant hi/lo responses, not a constant hum. Might be the possibilty of dry solder joints or power related issues, won't really know until it is opened up and checked. Do you still get constant humming woth the threshold turned right down?

With coil disconnected, switch detector on stick a finger in the coil connecting socket the sound should increase in pitch, take out finger and pitch should decrease.

If above take place try another coil.

If you gave a location someone might be able to help with another detector and coil.

Hi,

Looks, 1 of my replays did not get through.
Yes, it is humming with any knob position. Turning knobs does not change anything. I do video later and share the link Maybe that helps to understand.
As it is brand new I will contact with local dealer tomorrow.
Sincerely thank you for offering getting together and changing units for testing. Still I have to refuse because flight tickets from where I am locating cost the same as new unit :) I'm from Estonia, better google, you probably wont't find it in you head :) It is almost precisely in the other side of globe.

Nero

One of the pins in the coil socket is connected to the socket and coil shield, if no sound change when touched then the detector is likely faulty.

As you say, take it back to the dealer.

I know in my head where Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania is, it was a part of geography and history lessons in my primary school years.

Here is the video:
Unfortunately I'm to noob to post links, so you have to figure it out :)
https
://vimeo.
com/268265322

Nero

nesral said:
One of the pins in the coil socket is connected to the socket and coil shield, if no sound change when touched then the detector is likely faulty.

As you say, take it back to the dealer.

I know in my head where Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania is, it was a part of geography and history lessons in my primary school years.

Respect.

Hi,

Thank You for help. Sent the unit back to dealer and waiting for response. When I get things right, I let you know, what was the issue.

Nero

Garrett USA have always been good with after sale service/repairs/replacements.

Hope you experience their good service first hand.

Hi everybody,

Thanks again for help and advice. Got my unit back 2 days ago. Works like dream, no problems atm.
The problem was coil cord connection inside unit, so they gave me new unit.

Nero

Garrett does like to drag out the life of it detectors, I remember when I could still get the Scorpion Gold Stinger, a detector that was well past is prime for the time.