Need help identifying...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padre

Steve
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
We recently went on our first trip looking for some topaz. The kids managed to find a heap, but we also came across this black rock that has gold/yellow and orange colour showing when put over a light. Is it topaz as well?

1525299388_black_rock_light_1.jpg

1525299388_black_rock_1.jpg

Does it have a visible crystal structure or is it a random shape? What general area did you find it?

The first photo has the colour of a brown to orange coloured zircon. Like the ones from Hart's Range, NT.

Yeah, sorry for the rubbish photo. We found a number of these, smooth edged crystal structural. We found them while scratching for topaz. They where a similar size and shape to the topaz, just black.

Beautiful topaz!
You should try and chase some sapphire as zircon and topaz are also found with sapphire, as Rockhunter said. Good luck in your future hunts! - Jack

Hi Padre. I found something similar looking at Mount Gibson. After much examination, it turned out to be topaz with iron staining in the cracks that made it appear orange. Still have the piece somewhere. Also in the same place I found what I think is a tin crystal (cassiterite) that is translucent with orange reflections.

I have found some topaz (quarter of a kilo) with iron staining all through it but some areas of mine are clear. I found them in Tumbarumba.

Lefty said:
Hi Padre. I found something similar looking at Mount Gibson. After much examination, it turned out to be topaz with iron staining in the cracks that made it appear orange. Still have the piece somewhere. Also in the same place I found what I think is a tin crystal (cassiterite) that is translucent with orange reflections.

Yeah, ok, that makes sense.

Latest posts