Old Station House and Hotel

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not much to show in this one, but more so confirmation that a preliminary search has produced items that may indicate a former station house and hotel was located nearby. I've been researching this one for a while and have had difficulty finding the right spot. The station was operational from 1890 to 1925, and the hotel a little longer. I've found a stand of tamarinds and mango trees, a few stumps, and a potential dump. But what other things should i expect to find that might confirm the location? (I've been discriminating iron from the search).
1524387699_20180422_163441.jpg

Here is a close up of the y shaped thing. Any ideas what it may be? It took me a while. It reads on one side 'Bray Lilta' the other '21 Litres' and around the base 'Made in England'

1524387954_20180422_164823.jpg

Anyhow; more on this area next weekend. Ill get a whole day in this spot as the grass and weed isn't too bad. Till then, Karlos.

Karlos77 said:
Not much to show in this one, but more so confirmation that a preliminary search has produced items that may indicate a former station house and hotel was located nearby. I've been researching this one for a while and have had difficulty finding the right spot. The station was operational from 1890 to 1925, and the hotel a little longer. I've found a stand of tamarinds and mango trees, a few stumps, and a potential dump. But what other things should i expect to find that might confirm the location? (I've been discriminating iron from the search).https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/12340/1524387699_20180422_163441.jpg

Here is a close up of the y shaped thing. Any ideas what it may be? It took me a while. It reads on one side 'Bray Lilta' the other '21 Litres' and around the base 'Made in England'

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/12340/1524387954_20180422_164823.jpg

Anyhow; more on this area next weekend. Ill get a whole day in this spot as the grass and weed isn't too bad. Till then, Karlos.
I'd say it probly held a mantle.... :D
says STAY LITA
1524650889_1524387954_20180422_164823.jpg

I have found a couple of these, could be the burner off an old carbide light that the old timers used for lighting

Don't discriminate iron when doing initial searches on relic hunts. Iron is probably the number one metal to listen for when locating dwellings or areas of previous activity. I see you also have some lead heads off some roofing nails which should indicate that a dwelling is close by. Once you are sure that you are on the right spot, you can run some discrimination to give your ears a bit of a rest - some prefer to still hear it, up to the individual really. At that stage I personally prefer to run some discrimination to keep my sanity in check. :)

Thanks for the advice Goldpick. Ill take a look at some of the iron arround this place. Silver, Lozza, i think your right about it being a part of a lamp. Most likley a carbide type. Ill be on this spot again tomorrow so hope to find some more interesting stuff.

Latest posts