Calling all shift workers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flowerpot said:
diggit said:
Flowerpot said:
pete165 said:
Flowerpot are you a nurse by any chance?

No Pete, I'm not.
I work in a chocolate factory.

Have you ever caught a glimpae of one of these?

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3031/1524493671_oompaloompa.jpg

Na digit never seen any, they're sneaky blighters. :)

Yes they are but in fairness to them they are very hard and diligent workers.

In fact I believe their father worked his way into the highest public office in the USA.

1524582202_dt.jpg

Credit where its due!

diggit said:
I'm not sure how many hours work left...depends on client but public holiday so decent enough coin.....

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3031/1524583427_dracday.jpg

Yeah I remember public holiday pay. We dont get that.
We get a flat 20%. It covers our nights, weekends, public holidays.

Which sounds great right. But we also have rotating rosters. Which doesn't actually ever work out fairly. We don't all work the same amount of shifts.
Literally the only way to do it fairly, is what we did before. Paying for what is actually worked. And it was great.

Last night was a public holiday for me and we get paid 7 hours for the PH even tho we do 12 hour shifts.
The overall loading and hours makes up for a pretty good pay each week. Makes retirement come around a fair bit earlier and
just as flaming well too.
There is always overtime on offer at work and heaps of people add either one or two extra days or nights to their shifts, big money, but for crying out loud, some of them look like the picture of the vampire on hollies back a few posts.
Each to their own and everyone has a plan but I don't see the point of killing oneself in the process. :)

OzzieAu said:
Have seen it happen FP, some see the $$$ and go for it, only to end up basket cases sometimes. :N:

The other side is shift work can be a trap.
I'm at work now, watching tv.

Its very hard to move to a day/normal job, for less money, dealing with traffic and people, and being busy *all* the time.
Then again, I'll likely get cancer/die early. Plenty of studies say nights and shift work is terrible for health.

Outback said:
What's the point of the thread ' we all know it sucks :)
Been there done that !

I got out of that shift work ages ago but do feel for those who have no choice .

Hey there Ob, the point of the thread is just to find out how other shift workers past and present have adapted if at all to alternating shifts and what they think about it (and whether they still maintain a sense of humour).
It's been great for me to hear others' stories because I don't feel like I'm the only zombie out trying to do normal stuff at the times when I don't feel like I'm human... :p (insert *zombie* emoji here)
Good to hear you got out of shift work too :Y:

Outback said:
Been there done that !

I got out of that shift work ages ago but do feel for those who have no choice .
I personally love shift work ..Been doing rotating shifts for the last 19yrs..couldn't and wouldn't go back to same thing day in day out..Not to mention more holiday accumulation much better pay packet less traffic ect.But we are all differnt :Y: :D

Smoky bandit said:
Outback said:
Been there done that !

I personally love shift work ..Been doing rotating shifts for the last 19yrs..couldn't and wouldn't go back to same thing day in day out..Not to mention more holiday accumulation much better pay packet less traffic ect.But we are all differnt :Y: :D
Good onya Smoky for reaping the benefits of shift work as it is actually necessary for the world to go round... but you are one of the lucky ones who is the exception to the rule. I too saw a couple of my workmates who were like you and would swap the crappy shifts of others for their more normal ones to score the penalty rates. These blokes were admired by the likes of myself, who used to struggle with the odd hours sometimes.
All power to ya and I hope when you retire you can adjust to a normal life after having loved your shift work routine for so long.
Cheers. :)

I used to work 12 hour shifts, same as the MFB, 2 days, 2 nights, and 4 days off. After a day shift normal sleep, after nights get home have about 4 hours sleep. It was no problem at all. Also on the days off I would work 3 days or 3 nights overtime about 36 hours overtime. I earned $140,000 over a 12 month period aided by the 30% penalty rate for days and nights. I was told early on by one of the others working the same shift cycle that, if you didn't have a regular bedtime that you would be fine. I went to sleep anytime between 10pm and 5am before shift work. Only did the shift work for about 2 years but could have done it forever if I had wanted to go to Canberra. Ken.

OzzieAu said:
Smoky bandit said:
Outback said:
Been there done that !

Good onya Smoky for reaping the benefits of shift work as it is actually necessary for the world to go round... but you are one of the lucky ones who is the exception to the rule. I too saw a couple of my workmates who were like you and would swap the crappy shifts of others for their more normal ones to score the penalty rates. These blokes were admired by the likes of myself, who used to struggle with the odd hours sometimes.
All power to ya and I hope when you retire you can adjust to a normal life after having loved your shift work routine for so long.
Cheers. :)
Mate I should of said ..I prefer shift work..I HATE WORK WITH A PASSION.. and will adjust to normal life just fine.....I still have at least 30yrs of work before I can relax so who knows what will happen ..Its been 6 days on..1 day off for the last 12 month but it's time to turn that into 4 days on 3 days off so I can have more ME time ..:Y: :D Y: :D

Latest posts