Minelab Equinox 800 tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HoudiniHarry said:
So are the batteries replaceable? Or only available via minelab?
I didn't open it as don't want to chance void of warranty..But I'm sure you could replace it with something if you had to.

Miners den Brisbane said this is the first one they have had returned with battery problems..I was wondering how many equinox owners have not taken their detector hunting for more than a few hrs,and if there will be more battery issues once everyone starts to try and use their equinox more than 5hrs straight. Time will tell :Y:

Smoky bandit said:
Miners den Brisbane said this is the first one they have had returned with battery problems..I was wondering how many equinox owners have not taken their detector hunting for more than a few hrs,and if there will be more battery issues once everyone starts to try and use their equinox more than 5hrs straight. Time will tell :Y:

I have used my Equinox 800 several times. Each time I have left it turned on for over five hours. I am yet to have a problem. I also have noticed that the battery indicator has dropped only one bar each time. I believe that the last two bars disappear faster than the first but I havent used it beyond seven hours to find out. Overall, I am quite impressed by the machine. I carry a power bank but have had no need for it. (Better safe than sorry.) :Y:

My first bar would go out within the first 2hrs using only the bluetooth headphones and no backlight.within the next 2 to 3 hrs the last bar would be flashing. :N:

I have charged my Equinox only a couple times since I bought it. I have not added the hours all up, but it has done a dozen half hour trips between charges and each time there was still 2 bars left. That gave me the impression it still had a bit of juice left so I felt it was about right.
I do not expect to get the max battery life they claim, but around 10 hours or so is fine and I am happy with that if that is all I get.

I think you definitely have an issue though if you only got 4 hours use. Hopefully they will sort it ASAP, and maybe give you something extra as a bonus for your problems.

hAyyoUinAU said:
I have charged my Equinox only a couple times since I bought it. I have not added the hours all up, but it has done a dozen half hour trips between charges and each time there was still 2 bars left. That gave me the impression it still had a bit of juice left so I felt it was about right.
I do not expect to get the max battery life they claim, but around 10 hours or so is fine and I am happy with that if that is all I get.

I think you definitely have an issue though if you only got 4 hours use. Hopefully they will sort it ASAP, and maybe give you something extra as a bonus for your problems.
Yer I get free return Express postage :/ :Y: Yer Cory said theres definitely an issue. At least 8hrs hard use.

Dan mentioned he's getting about 12 hours per charge from his. I reckon I'm getting very good battery mileage though I've haven't run mine down to shut off yet.

I mainly use the external speaker when park hunting and on the beach I use the WM08 with earbuds.

Sorry to hear about your battery.
Mines running for 2 days hunting before a recharge. Easily over 12hrs as stated & I only use the 10W Apple charger btw.

My shafts are absolutely rooted though. And after taping them to make tighter, Ive realised after today that the shafts are too thin walled and its the little silver ball locking clip button that is the culprit. Its elongating the holes on the shafts, therefore getting slop and wobbles even though they still click in. It might be a weight saver but I think if using a thicker wall shaft you would still swing it allday comfortably.

If when we can get the plug on the lower shaft that the coil attaches to, then ill be going one piece (carbon) shaft and saving the replacement shafts for travel.

But I feel for you guys like me with issues, I feel for ML having to rectify the problems, But thats what happens when you get things made in another county, along with ETAs nowhere to be known.

Pez0

PeZ0 said:
Sorry to hear about your battery.
Mines running for 2 days hunting before a recharge. Easily over 12hrs as stated & I only use the 10W Apple charger btw.

My shafts are absolutely rooted though. And after taping them to make tighter, Ive realised after today that the shafts are too thin walled and its the little silver ball locking clip button that is the culprit. Its elongating the holes on the shafts, therefore getting slop and wobbles even though they still click in. It might be a weight saver but I think if using a thicker wall shaft you would still swing it allday comfortably.

If when we can get the plug on the lower shaft that the coil attaches to, then ill be going one piece (carbon) shaft and saving the replacement shafts for travel.

But I feel for you guys like me with issues, I feel for ML having to rectify the problems, But thats what happens when you get things made in another county, along with ETAs nowhere to be known.

Pez0
Yes mate The Noxs shaft had play in it from new..Something they should of rectified before release. :N:

I agree and don't like the shaft setup at all, that locking nut thingo never seems to be able to be done up tight enough, pretty poor design from that perspective. Sand gets into the shaft too easily as well.

As stated on Detector Prospector, there are issues cropping with some of the Equinox shafts/camlocks that should be rectified by Minelab. Seems to have affected a limited number of owners at this stage, though for those that water hunt the shaft play will be much more noticeable with the extra resistance involved. Might pay to voice any concerns direct to Minelab if you are unhappy with the amount of play.

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/6189-loose-rods-wobbly-rods-rod-flex/

Cheers for that link GP, will have a read now. Mine's ok for the moment but I can't see the shaft lasting too long, especially with any resistance as you mentioned. I think it would have been better with a mini lighter version of the CTX shaft. I never used an Xterra but maybe even one of those shafts would have been better also.

If mine breaks or fails in some way I'll be straight onto minelab, though there is bit of play in it such as the shaft turning and not staying straight after a small time period, I find myself regularly stopping and having to realign it.

GPX Shafe may do the trick. appears to be the same size 22 mm with an inner size of 19 mm lower shafe slide straight in. The upper 2 shaft on the equinox come to about 900 mm where the upper shaft for the GPX is 820 mm so 80mm shorter.. and after a couple of quick measurements I've got a spare 160 mm so I can afford to lose 80mm on on the upper shaft.. yeah I'm waiting for it all the genitalia jokes ;) :lol:

Latest posts