Majors creek and Stewarts crossing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know much about Majors Creek - also Braidwood?

We are going camping at Coolendel on the Shoalhaven River over Christmas and thought a day trip might be worthwhile?

Hi
I am fairly familiar with Majors Creek. Its pretty locked up around there and there is a new gold mine being developed. You have to scrabble through some rough country to get to any creeks worth the effort and the land owners have become quite feral. Not because of prospectors as there are so few nowdays, simply because of lot of the land has been bought up by Sydney hobby farmers and they have brought their Sydney attitudes with them. You can go just under the brifge on the way into the village and you can get some odd little bits every now and then. Stewarts Crossing to the north of Braidwood is a nice place and you can get some gold but have to dig for it. The Northangara crossing on the road from Mongarlowe to the Kings highway has been flogged but it is alsways worth a try. A mate of mine dug a 1/4 ouncer right at the crossing and not another speck in sight. There is a nice picnic spot just after the crossing going north on the lift hand side down a little slip track. Walk down stream a bit and try around there.

araluen

Bombay Crossing 9km East of Braidwood is another place. Diggings there. On the Shoalhaven. On the West side of the river.

Hi all,
Just a pic from Majors Creek falls in case any one is interested in what the terrain is like. This picture is of the creek leads off to the (really really high) falls itself.

I didn't find much at all, but a awesome spot.

I don't know if it permanently flows, Does anyone know?

I also stopped by stewarts crossing for a quick pan (i only got two pans in). It is flowing nicely and quite warm water, which surprised me a little. No problems cruising the ford in a 2wd.

Have fun!
1478996822_fb_img_1478996471238.jpg

Hi Barry,

Yeah, a couple of specs in both pans. I just grabbed it right next to ford. I'll be heading back there, that's for sure. Even for a family day on the river.

One other thing about majors creek. There was so much black sand. Stewarts crossing, oallen and tuena have nowhere near as much. It was surprising, and filled my riffles up pretty quickly.

Hi guys.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if you're allowed to prospect around Majors creek (NSW)?
I usually stick to state forests to avoid having to try and work out what crown land I am and am not aloud on as it can get quite difficult.

Cheers, Anthony.

Years ago I got some good gold from around majors creek but all on private property

After more research, it seems to be mostly conservation area around there. So am I right in assuming that means no prospecting?

First off, it's within a fossicking district, so no worries about clashing with mining titles AFAIK.

Second, here's two screen grabs from Google Earth. Green is National Park/Conservation, red is Crown land. (I took two grabs because they overlap)

ejojq4C.jpg

ZrYEHu4.jpg

I don't know what crown land might be leased, but there is some info on this site if you search for it. I believe walking Northish from Cemetery Rd between Major's Ck and Araluen was a possibility.

I'd love to get out there sometime.

Good luck.

G'day Worky

The others a right. Private land around Majors Creek can be problematic as the newer landowners are mostly from Sydney and not at all friendly. Its also fairly rugged with limited access either by track or foot to where there is gold. Before moving to NE Vic I worked the area fairly well. First place to try is near the bridge on the Majors Creek road. Been well thrashed but you may be able to do well with a yabbie pump. You could also try up above the cemetery ( the Anglican one I think) but watch out for Tiger snakes and also up above the picnic area near the Araluen Braidwood rd on the Bottom Majors Creek road.

Araluen

You can go up to the Waterfall on Majors creek, 4WD is best, but you can walk there if you need to leave your car at the top. I found a couple of bits there, but not much (Doesn't matter where I go, I never find much). Lovely spot.

brendomac said:
You can go up to the Waterfall on Majors creek, 4WD is best, but you can walk there if you need to leave your car at the top. I found a couple of bits there, but not much (Doesn't matter where I go, I never find much). Lovely spot.

Do you need permission to access the falls or just keep driving past the property??

Latest posts