Detecting at Night

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been night detecting for a few years . I prefer not to use a headlamp and just rely on my pinpointer light once I hit a target . I mainly night hunt as its peaceful and you get less people coming up and asking what your doing etc.

Sights , well Ive seen a few , from couples doing what comes naturally , to young drunks fighting , police chasing idiots with their beach quads . Last night I walked around a headland and their was a troop practising fire blowing ( interesting and nice fellas also) .

Ive been night detecting and watched an opera concert rehearsal all to myself . Been attacked by several dogs and locked in to an area ( gates closed at 7 pm) and then searched for by a police helicopter ( long story).

Had I guy throw coins in the air as a gesture of goodwill , I think ( ah the good ol days) . Detected near where a dead person had been located , there was an uneasy feeling in the air that night .... so I sprinted back to the car and lost my phone( another long story)

Detected in an area at the same time as there was a couple of gunshots fired by the police or the other guy about 50 meters away on the road above a the beach . I Did not hear a thing and kept on detecting , wife told me when I got back.

One night working the dunes , I stumbled on a girl taking a ? , so I went in another direction and there was a guy or a couple doing whatever, cant remember - so I walked back to my car ( short detecting session that) .

A few weeks back I was detecting during a storm with the Nox and its particularly susceptible to emi so I took shelter with a homeless person up on the side of the road . Here I was fully kitted out with dive boots , dry fit shirt , harness and equipment . The homeless fella had nothing except his clothes and half a loaf of bread with tomato sauce he got from maccas. The rain was sheeting in sideways and the poor fella was cowering trying to eat . I didnt know what to do so I stood in a position where the rain was coming from to try and give him some relief from the conditions , but it didnt really work (Im not the biggest bloke) . I only had about 8 bucks on me , but thought it was better than nothing and gave it to him . Anyway an Indian couple must of been sitting in the car nearby and she ran out with an umbrella and rain coat and gave it to him . With that he was off across the flooded road to a dryer place . I thing I rember was we never actually said a word to each other. The other thing I remember was the amount of gold the Indian lady had , from chains, gold earrings and about 12 gold bangles , identically to the four I have found while detecting :Y:

I have noticed an increase in homelessness . Ive seen
Families sleeping in cars and individuals sleeping rough . Last night there was a lady with her bag of possessions under a tree , I said hello , and on my grid back she had already gone , I probably disturbed her.

Also noticed a increase in aggression towards myself and other detectorists since new year . Had a couple of young fellas ask for money and my phone to call someone , but I was having none of it , and as soon as they realised the tools of the trade I was carrying they hightailed - although the smaller of the 2 drug affected gentlemen had second thoughts 50 yards away and turned back , but his mate grabbed him and found they went.

A week before that I accidentally stumbled upon 5 teenagers smoking I dont know what - but they were instantly aggressive . I calmly turned around amongst a barrage of insults and walked off still detecting , but with one ear phone off so I could hear if anyone was walking behind me and sure enough I could hear someone approaching from behind , then swear words .

I punched my sandscooop into the ground then rested my detector on it and took out the plug maker from its sheath so I could clean the sand out of the screws of the detector (ctx3030) . Anyways that was enough and they quickly went away .

Closest call to a fight with idiots was about 4 weeks before that , about 1am in the morning and I was detecting with a mate of mine and a bunch of guys stumbled onto the beach from one of the night clubs and were curious to what we were doing , we chatted to them as there was nothing unusual with this scenario. However one was particularly drunk and thought he could take of with one of the ctx3030s . Anyways cut a long story short the other detectorist gave the young fella a little jab to the noggin , and being a big kiwi bloke a little jab would off hurt a lot . After a heated chat with me and the other detectorist we managed to convince them to take their mate home to sleep it off.

Anyways go to go

Dan

Me, my brother and the missus have gone out a fair bit at night. i :cool: t is quite peaceful plus you can get into places where you maybe wouldnt like to get caught in the daylight hours

rusty69 said:
Me, my brother and the missus have gone out a fair bit at night. i :cool: t is quite peaceful plus you can get into places where you maybe wouldnt like to get caught in the daylight hours

Nighthawker????

I love going out at night. I generally use the headlamp only when extracting a target. It is relaxing and you can go about your business with minimal disruptions.

I came across a young couple having sex on a playground in a public park and some kids smoking a bong in another park a few weeks ago. Other than that, nothing out of the ordinary. The kids smoking freaked out and fled the scene in a real hurry. They probably just saw the headlamp and assumed cops...

G'Day Detectorist, I hunt the urban areas at night usually from 8 to 11 a couple times a week. I have a list of parks and playgrounds that i cycle through every four weeks or so. I've never had any trouble, but have had the occasional visit from the police passing by. I use headphones with one ear out, and a headlamp when i'm onto something.

I've found that i am less interrupted in the public spaces at night, particularly by inquisitive kids. So i think that it is a more efficient method if your willing to tolerate the mozzies and bugs.

Karlos.

Latest posts