Help identify, idea's?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCC

Reaction score
Seems to ne non magnetic.
Heavy for its size.
Has pearl metallic silver slight copperish color inside.
Same pearl like metallic luster can be seen on outside under sunlight beneath the outside tarnish.
1524307054_20180421_125944.jpg

What SG (how heavy). What streak on fresh surface? Non-magnetic may be a negative (not a nickel-iron meteorite anyway). Otherwise I might have suggested that. Are you confident it is natural?

SG - 4.5

Streak - metalic black

Thinking maybe native titanium, the small peice thats exposed colored when heated..

Could be slag but the general texture and shapes says otherwise, in the sun the silver is showing through the tarnish in doors its almost black to a dark grey, it doesnt seem magnetic tried with large neo magnets with no movement at all, conducts electrictricity with some resistance..

1524776834_20180422_092722.jpg

1524776890_20180422_092737.jpg

SCC said:
SG - 4.5

Streak - metalic black

Thinking maybe native titanium, the small peice thats exposed colored when heated..
Titanium does not occur in nature as the native metal.

Thanks goldierocks.

Its been in a bath of hydrocloric acid for a few days then a bath of hydrogen peroxide to try and get it to oxidize but it doesnt appear to, its been relatively unaffected apart form its lost a slight bit of weight -

Streak is now a metallic brown colour (outside tarnish must of affected first results)

SG is @ 4.37

Sort of has a brassy iron pyrite color inside but is much more resilient than it yet is so hard its brittle some what but not so brittle that it was damaged when i went to town on it with a stainless wire brush...the brush didnt seem to hurt it at all.

Ive got no idea what it is.

If SG was a bit higher I might have thought it an aggregate of heavy mineral sand (eg ilmenite) but the colour is quite wrong (would be black to grey with a brownish tint). And ilmenite is often weakly magnetic. Check if granular with a hand lens

Latest posts