QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum. I go past your way every now again. Always stop at Burra for a drink and something from the Bakery.

PhaseTech said:
Welcome to the forum. I go past your way every now again. Always stop at Burra for a drink and something from the Bakery.

Burra bakery rings a bell ? Is that where we stopped for lunch Nenad ? Then had the silver fish and cream :eek: I add here the silver fish did not come from the bakery, their products were great. :Y:

Dasenator .................... cheap price on the Q ................. what coils were included with it ?

Bogger said:
PhaseTech said:

Burra bakery rings a bell ? Is that where we stopped for lunch Nenad ? Then had the silver fish and cream :eek: I add here the silver fish did not come from the bakery, their products were great. :Y:

Dasenator .................... cheap price on the Q ................. what coils were included with it ?
8" commander, 12" nf, 17x12 coiltek. and 25" nf, not a bad arsenal id say :Y:

dasenator777 said:
Bogger said:
PhaseTech said:

Damn I'd of brought that :Y: At the price you could bin the detector and your still in front just on the coils alone :Y: :Y:

davent said:
Its a 20" not a 25.
sorry my bad.....he had it advertised for 1350, i offered him 500 and we settled on 630. seems easy to use, only been out our country golf course for a play with settings, not to fussed about agb at moment seems easy enough :)

Bogger said:
dasenator777 said:
Bogger said:
PhaseTech said:

Damn I'd of brought that :Y: At the price you could bin the detector and your still in front just on the coils alone :Y: :Y:
:Y:

Well after quite a few more hours of testing, my initial testing is still valid.

I am unable to get it to perform as well as a 4500, although it does go well for the money. :Y:

It is a bit fiddly to use, having to match a mode to each individual coil, and setting Threshold A and B, which is also dependent on coil size. A and B can be set to accentuate rising or falling targets, but once again, this is a bit fiddly ! With any of the Minelab PI machines, you can strap any coil on it and away you go. Not so with the QED. :(

Increasing the mode to suit larger coils and noisier ground decreases the sensitivity to small targets, and also increases susceptibilty to EMI, although that is to be expected. Much the same as enhance on the 4500.

The light ribbon cabling from the main control unit back to the battery box is very exposed, and will be a real problem in thicker brush. I can see it getting ripped out if you are not very careful ! :( :N:

Overall, a good machine for the money, and will be my main search tool in WA in " virgin " ground with a big coil, but I won't be using it here in Victoria much at all ! :N:

Cheers,
Rick

madtuna said:
Looking forward to your review from WA.

It's yet to be seen whether the QED will handle the noisy iron and salt rich ground of WA. If it doesn't, well I will be back to using my trusty 7000, which now with it's salt / patch mode can handle that ground.

Time will tell whether Howard can bring it up to the level required in 2018. I hope he can, because he is very passionate about it ! It gives people a low cost alternative to get into the prospecting game, although I'm afraid the prospecting game is in decline with ever dwindling areas that have not been flogged !

From all my testing so far, my opinion is that the only advantage that the QED has is it's price and weight. As far as performance goes, it falls short of what is competitive !
Rick

Araratgold said:
madtuna said:
Looking forward to your review from WA.

It's yet to be seen whether the QED will handle the noisy iron and salt rich ground of WA. If it doesn't, well I will be back to using my trusty 7000, which now with it's salt / patch mode can handle that ground.

Time will tell whether Howard can bring it up to the level required in 2018. I hope he can, because he is very passionate about it ! It gives people a low cost alternative to get into the prospecting game, although I'm afraid the prospecting game is in decline with ever dwindling areas that have not been flogged !

From all my testing so far, my opinion is that the only advantage that the QED has is it's price and weight. As far as performance goes, it falls short of what is competitive !
Rick

Pretty much what I found.

You could write a long list of pluses & minuses for both - GPX v QED. (Or any detector really).
One thing that I've said before is that the QED is definitely not a SDC (from my own in-situ comparison I find the SDC killer comments hard to swallow) or GPZ but it is comparable to a GPX. In my opinion it's not quite as good in some respects & better in others - price & weight being it's main selling points.
I've got to say that upgrades for the QED are very affordable (cost of postage in some cases), quickly done & Howard seems like a nice, approachable bloke if you have any questions or concerns. If it keeps evolving it may well become the better option down the track? From what I can gather improvements are constantly being investigated & developed to be able to get upgraded into any current QED so that is another advantage.

One of the big pluses that qed has over my gpx 4500 is it's not affected by electric fences, power lines, emi in general anywhere near as much as the gpx.. you only have to fart in the Direction of the 4500 and goes stupid. I can't even carry my pro pointer when using my GPX 4500 without a chucking spaz. This weekend I tested both machines on targets found by a zed... out of three targets the qed it hit 2 out 3 which to be honest one signal was so faint I probably would have missed it. The other one was a good signal and I would have only dug one it. The GPX 4500 hit 1 Target out of 3. It was a good signal and I would have dug it. The target I would have Dug with the qed and the GPX 4500 was lead shot, the one Target both machine missed was gold. The qed and the 4500 we're on a par. The winner of the day was the zed. To be honest for me, GPX 4500 spends more time in the car than the qed. And right now I'm wondering how much I enjoy this hobby because I'm feeling like I'm going to go down the zed path, just deciding which body organ and how many I'm going to have to sell for the zed.. :lol: out of the Qed and GPX 4500, I'll be keeping the qed as a backup as I prefer using it and as time goes on I believe it will get better with updates.. :)

Howard has now developed an extra light weight version of the QED which weighs in at a measly 1.5 kgs. I am hoping to have a look at the new machine next week. This should be welcome news for ladies, or those that have physical problems which make swinging some of the heavier detectors a painful experience. Further development of the auto ground balance is being undertaken as some are finding the current system a little awkward.
You can always rely on Howard to be constantly working on improvements.

Maldon Gold Centre said:
goldwright said:
Maldon Gold Centre said:
Araratgold said:
You must be kidding, right ?
At twice the price you can get a brand new GPX4500, with 3 years warranty, and an array of aftermarket accessories available !

You can use lots of coils with the QED. I own a GPX 4500, in my opinion the QED is a better machine.

I offer a five year repair or replacement warranty on every detector we sell.

Can you clarify this 5 year repair or replacement warranty? Is on top of manufacturers warranty? That sounds too good to be true.

It's in addition to the manufacturers warranty and applies even if the manufacturer goes out of business.

There's no fine print. We cover the detector for faults in parts or labour for 5 years from the date you purchase it. If it can't be repaired it will be replaced. If replacement is needed then the machine will be replaced with the closest equivalent machine at the time of replacement.

We've built this cover into our pricing and it takes into account Australian Consumer Law which covers most expensive items well beyond manufacturers warranty.

This is a great attitude from a retailer, we as consumers have a right to significant warranties as per the consumer law and most manufacturers & retailers try as they might to get around this and only honor their own warranty periods, sometimes not even.

It is refreshing to see a retailer be transparent and upfront about their obligations to us consumers.

got mine back all updated to current specs, 7 day turn around from country sa. also changed over to the xterra straight shaft, well ballanced and light. time to get out an find the yella stuff :p
1524568211_qed.jpg

dasenator777 said:
also changed over to the xterra straight shaft, well ballanced and light.

An interesting setup.

And what type of battery system is that?

Cheers.

Rush said:
dasenator777 said:
also changed over to the xterra straight shaft, well ballanced and light.

An interesting setup.

And what type of battery system is that?

Cheers.
davent would know as its his old machine, all i know is its a swifty set up, can charge straight into box, and a fuse i noticed