Using a dredge in Australia for recreational prospecting is illegal - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in no way condoning doing something illegal, but,
In the US there have been many environmental studies conducted by the Fish and Wildlife Service that show there is no detrimental effects of dredging in streams and rivers. Most all states allow recreational dredging. Up to 4 inch nozzle. Studies have shown that simply moving sediment from one location in a stream bed to another actually helps the aquatic species by aerating the sand and gravel. Fish eggs die if laid in low oxygen , heavy sediment.
I watch fish swim around and feed as I stir up the bottom with a suction nozzle. Also, dredging is minute compared to a heavy spring rain raising the river channel by a few feet, which happens several times a year.

Hehe Jaros, I have seen them on US youtubes when looking into gravity fed highbanking.........you might wanna borrow this big stick

1526946904_judgetoon34.jpg

Jaros said:
Ok---what's a gravity dredge? :/
I assume he means a long hose running down a hill to give it suction at the top end. On small scale it might ??? be legal because it has no pump but there must be a cut off some where because the samel logic would make this legal too
1526949491_images_24.jpg

They are very effective in the right waterway, you need a good drop and fast flow obviously, you would have a hard time convincing a ranger of their legality though. You could argue all day that you are not using a pump, but the end result is the same, you are using a venturi, you are drawing up gravel, sands, sediment off the bottom of the creek/river and displacing it, sans handheld device/tool, that is the issue for the DPI.

Oh I know a guy that uses a water monitor too, right where he dredges. He's cut out about 30m x 5m of the river bank in a spot I know, anything for the advantage it seems. I hunted him the last time I caught him and told him I'll take the crowbar to his gear if I catch him again.

By the time you set up a gravity dredge you could have probably yabbie pumped the entire creek. And there are the blockages you have to wander up and down the creek to clear and carting in a massive weight of material. Really only works on a fixed claim in a place where you can leave it set up.

Araluen

Hey guys caught a few people with a large floating dredge at Avisford on Sunday, what should I do about it.

You could let the authorities know that you were down that way and you saw what looked to be dredging. You may not have photos or any other details to provide, but this will have the authorities possibly send a ranger, environmentalist or other person out to look at the area.

or

If you have photo's, Rego details, Names etc. you could provide these details to the relevant authorities.

It might not be wise to approach them, but if you feel safe, you could approach them and see what they are doing, to confirm what they are doing. Most of these people actually gloat and show off. When they do this they let their guard down and give you more information on what they are doing, how often they do it, and places they have worked in the past.

or

You could do nothing.

It is most definitely your choice to decide what to do. Given that you are seeking advice on this I see that it troubles you. I believe that the authorities might even monitor forums like this. So keep an eye out for a PM from one of them.

Personally I get rather mad when people do the wrong thing and ruin the name and image of us genuine prospectors. Intern having the areas banned for all of the honest people.

Latest posts