Odd looking rock

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend of mine sent me a picture of a lump of iron stone found in an abandoned mine. Looks like pyrites to me.... maybe gold?
1523698632_pizf-1.jpg

I agree with Heatho. The colour of the protrusions is very consistent, both in direct light and in the shaded area at the bottom. Chalcopyrite (copper iron sulphide, CuFeS2), can be a brassy-yellow colour but is usually shinier and more crystalline in appearance.

Wow!!! I thought it was gold too. Pity the mine is in Qld. somewhere. Geeez, it would be like picking money from a cave wall. I really have to do something with this one.
I have to get back to my mate (he lives near Sydney and I live in Linton Vic) and organise a trip up there. Got to find out if it belongs to someone, if it doesn't we will lay a claim to it.
I've got another mate who's got a mine in WA and he's got really fine gold throughout quartz rock, but nothing like this one. Thanks fellas, will let you know how this pans out

G.....G.....G.....GOLD. :party: :rainbow: :party:

You could crush it and pan it out ;) but I would give it a bath in acid as it might produce a nice looking clean nugget

Good luck on the return visit

Gold I suspect. Easy to tell by simply scratching one speck with a needle or knife-point(greenish-black powder if chalcopyrite, yellow if gold)

(Wow!!! I thought it was gold too. Pity the mine is in Qld. somewhere)
Thats ok graybeard im in qld so if you just send me the gps co-ords i will check it out for you mate :Y: :Y: ;) :lol:

Latest posts