You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

kemjak57
13 April 2018 12:55 pm

Good on you nucopia. It doesn’t always happen that parents are looked after when they are doing it tough. Your mum is blessed to have you around. All the best

Get a life! Start prospecting........

1 user likes this post: nucopia

Trash
13 April 2018 02:53 pm

5 star kitchen

Nice work

Gpx 5000 ( sold ) Sov. GT ( Sold ) Ctx 3030 still have , 7000

nucopia
13 April 2018 10:53 pm

kemjak57 wrote:

Good on you nucopia. It doesn’t always happen that parents are looked after when they are doing it tough. Your mum is blessed to have you around. All the best

Cheers Kemjak.. thumbsup

every day is an adventure
NAPFA Member

nucopia
13 April 2018 10:56 pm

Trash wrote:

5 star kitchen

Nice work

Thanks Trash
Its one item ticked off the "to do" list big_smile

NAPFA Member

nucopia
18 June 2018 09:26 pm

Finally repaired the broken canopy stay and put it all back together over the weekend.
Set the camper up in the front yard Saturday, so I can access the inside with out to much effort.
Bloody heavy rain and strong winds the last two days has got everything on hold.

I still have a long list of jobs that I need to sort out before we can take it out bush for a test run

I need to sort out 2 battery trays and clamps to secure the deep cycle batteries in the camper trailer tool box.
Repair the water tank or replace it, then connect and secure the hoses , drill holes in the camper some where to fit a water intake point and an some where else for the overflow hose.
Lay out and connect all the wiring ,lights cig sockets/USB,water pump,LED lights and switches (adventure Kings kit)
Mount a fuse block , negative grounding block , master cut off switch, Solar charger controller ,digital battery/ system monitor
Mount an Anderson plug on the outside of the tool box to connect the solar panels.
Rewire and mount new trailer break/indicator lights ,change the gas struts for the bed frame, weld on the gas bottle holder.
Install teflon to the bottom of the slide out kitchen unit and install some aluminium angle for the kitchen to slid on and then some thing to secure and lock it in place when we travel..
I will probably start doing things and find I have still other things that need attention.. 8) seems like its a never ending project. yikes
sad
Only thing I was able get accomplished today with the weather was to pick up the Negative Bus block from JayCar @ $19.95 smile
1529317543_bus_bar.jpg

Last edited by nucopia (18 June 2018 09:29 pm)

NAPFA Member

shakergt
18 June 2018 09:39 pm

Top job on the kitchen there. thumbsup

nucopia
19 June 2018 08:49 am

Thanks Shaker
I have to give my next door neighbor most of the credit for how well the kitchen turned out.
He and his wife have packed up their caravan and gone north for the winter .. so i have lost my project consultant.
Another rainy day here so every thing is on hold .. thankfully I have the forum to keep me out of the rain and occupied.

NAPFA Member

nucopia
22 June 2018 02:01 pm

After almost a week with the camper set up in the front yard and no work done because of the weather , the rain has cleared and the sun is shining.
Battery, Solar controller, inverter , curciut breaker ,fuse box and negative bus bar are mounted and ready for wiring.

1529635929_7c3558b5-eae7-4ddb-8eb7-27b917e3e2e3.jpg

Like me, im keeping it simple as I am a total noob with electrical. 8)

NAPFA Member

4 users like this post: Wishfull, 7.62marksman, limpalot, Ship of fools

Wishfull
22 June 2018 02:58 pm

Sounds like me with my caravan restoration project except I haven't done any work on it for months. Life is getting in the way.
There are a few blokes here that can help you out with is any wiring problems I am sure.

Ancient 1996 Garret Scorpion gold stinger, Minelab GPX 4500, SDC2300, Detecnix wader Li pinpointer, home made pick, 750 mm Walco pick, understanding wife, most of the time.

nucopia
22 June 2018 04:32 pm

Wishfull wrote:

Sounds like me with my caravan restoration project except I haven't done any work on it for months. Life is getting in the way.
There are a few blokes here that can help you out with is any wiring problems I am sure.

Yeah Wishful life does have a habit of getting in the way some times..
One of the newbies on the forum who lives a stones throw form me has been helping me with tips and a simple schematic to follow. Its what I luv about the forum, so many members are always happy to give advice, lend a hand or send some bibs and bobs to help when they can..
I recon if the weather stays fine for while , I might tick 10% off my to do list Over the next week.
sad
lol lol lol

Taking my time with this because I dont want to make any mistakes...
1529647409_4cd948c9-98dd-46a0-9ac3-c631c42e40a4.jpg
Now I need to think about one of tomorrow’s tasks, how and where to mount the Anderson plug on the out side of the tool box to conect the solar panels.
I am thinking a good spot would be down on the draw bar some where behind the tool box and between the camper.. I want it in a place thats easy to access but also in a way that it wont become fouled up with mud and dirt when we go off road ...
Maybe I need to get an Anderson plug that has a spring loaded cover on it...
1529647788_91fdedfc-cca3-4341-9a36-a02e53d729c5.jpg

Last edited by nucopia (22 June 2018 05:15 pm)

NAPFA Member

3 users like this post: limpalot, Wishfull, Mackka

limpalot
22 June 2018 05:49 pm

Jaycar have the Anderson plug covers. Just fitted one on the bumper of the Navara.

Home made sluices x 2 & highbanker, ATX, Garret Supa Sluice, Quanta pan, 2008 - minelab 4500

nucopia
22 June 2018 05:59 pm

limpalot wrote:

Jaycar have the Anderson plug covers. Just fitted one on the bumper of the Navara.

Thanks limpalot .. Wish I knew that before , I was there a few days back buying a few things .. any way now I have an excuse for tomorrow wink

Last edited by nucopia (22 June 2018 06:00 pm)

NAPFA Member

nucopia
22 June 2018 10:37 pm

This tonights project.

Shade cloth stone guard for the camper ..

1529666679_c71a8922-266b-46b7-a4b0-12f5c166f51e.jpg
1, shade cloth
2, bungie cord
3, snap hooks
4, wire rope grips
5,butterfly clips
6 assorted brass eyelets
7, 1600mm aluminium square tube
8, 12 stainless eye straps
9, left over side awning brackets x 2
10, 24inch 5/16th threded rode cut to size + 8 x 5/16” nylock nuts
Cost = $140+- from Bunnings

NAPFA Member

3 users like this post: 7.62marksman, Ship of fools, Trash

nucopia
23 June 2018 01:10 pm

Flea bay has the Anderson covers @ $18 with free postage.
Might get a few . One for the back of the tool box for the solar panals.
And a couple to make up connection pionts between the trailer and prado when towing..
Fark this list of things to do never stops growing... roll

NAPFA Member

nucopia
23 June 2018 05:44 pm

Just put it up to see if I had the right measurments and how it fitted size wise.
Needs some adjustment and the rest of the bungie cords attached.
Still have a way to go before its finished

1529735873_601c3a9b-f179-4726-ac58-c023b1c98557.jpg
1529735979_9fa5228a-6ea4-4b55-8530-296ff45eabb3.jpg

NAPFA Member

2 users like this post: Trash, BigWave

nucopia
25 June 2018 04:15 pm

Haveing a little bit of trouble getting the stone guard to work.

Not 100% sure but I think i have to attach the camper end of the net in a fixed position under the trailer and the tow ball end of the net via bungie cords to the cross bar that i made to bolt onto my tow ball mount..
I tried using bungie cord both ends but it just made the the netting bunch up ..
Haveing one on those days today .. feel like crap with a heavy bout of IBS and reflux ..triple 0 if it gets any worse cry
Fark ! sad

NAPFA Member

Bogger
Gone Walkabout
Gone Walkabout
25 June 2018 04:44 pm

Looking at the stone stompers I think you may need to run four or five runs of shock cord to beat that problem ? Especially given you have a fairly long drawbar ? From looking at their design they even take shock cord points from mid way down the screen, which I would only presume is to take up the centre slack of mesh especially when turning. Personally not a great lover of this type of set up for heavy off road use, as I know where I go it would end up snagged and ripped apart from old dead tree branches etc that get flicked up by rear wheels. Highway and gravel roads may be fine but once you got of the well worn tracks think it would end up in pieces roll
Think the stand up type screens even though designed more to protect rear windows of canopies and vehicle etc rather than actual stone damage to trailer paintwork, probably maybe more practical in the tough stuff. Just my humble opinion I add here. wink
Also probably find you would need to pin your jockey wheel up so that wheel is facing upward, as by the end of a trip screen would probably have a hole worn from rubbing against it ? Pinning jockey wheel up is a good idea in any case, as in certain terrain conditions it will be the first thing to hit the ground, and they usually don't take kindly to being dragged over things with the weight of the rear of vehicle on them, plus can hang you up. Check pics below and you can see how much ground clearance the jockey cuts out by letting it hang.

1529905719_stone_stomper.jpg

1529906661_jockey_pinning.jpg

1529906697_nuc_pic.jpg

Last edited by Bogger (25 June 2018 05:05 pm)

3 users like this post: Trash, nucopia, Gravity

nucopia
25 June 2018 07:37 pm

Thanks Trash
Its great to have some one else look at something and see it from a different perspective and the ideas that come with it.

I have 6 points were the bungee cord attaches to the front bar and at the front of the camper..I thing thats what is causing the issue of bunching when I rotate the front bar to simulate turning.
I made a cut out around the head of the draw bar similar to the first pic which makes the netting hang much better.
After I made the cut out the netting now hangs under the jockey wheel and I think it probably has enough clearance to not cause any problems..
I will take some pics tomorrow with the net on the camper and post them up here.

NAPFA Member

Goldchaser1
Gone Walkabout
Gone Walkabout
25 June 2018 10:51 pm

Coming up great nucopia,thats a lot of material to manage up front,keen to see if ya get sorted and problem free,we have a spare in front of the toolbox and made a basic shade cloth guard,no frame as I’d prefer,just tie points under draw bar,out to corners of trailer but it rubs the toolbox corners and nearly buggered allready,have a fix for that later some time,doesn’t look flash but with a row of conveyer under the trailer where fairing allot better now,those stones can make a mess,especially under the trailer,shocks,plumbing etc,think the stone stomper idea is great I’m just wondering if under the trailer is still getting blasted?

2 users like this post: nucopia, Bogger

nucopia
25 June 2018 11:07 pm

Cheers GoldChaser
I still have a lot of figuring out to do to get the thing working as its supposed to ..
I now know its not as simple as it looks in the pics of stone stomped , even the videos don't give away exactly how its set up ..
I think I will just have to keep trying and see which way works best..

I had organically planed to put a regular mesh stone guard mounted across the draw bar and mud flaps hanging down but it did not seem practical to mount one in a fixed position and limit assess to the tool box , in hind sight maybe it was the simpler option. sad

Last edited by nucopia (25 June 2018 11:16 pm)

NAPFA Member

Bogger
Gone Walkabout
Gone Walkabout
26 June 2018 07:22 am

Nucopia funny you should mention the Stone Stomper not being as simple as it looks. Whilst looking yesterday I couldn't find a vid or even a single picture with the vehicle turning ? Get it sorted and I'm sure many will follow as those Stone Stomper set ups certainly are not cheap. Do you have a pic of how yours is bunching up ? I note on one vid they use a bungy mid section to help support Centre ? Hope it helps you in some way, as the little camper has come a long way since the first pics you posted and full credit for your work. I'm sure it will give you and your family a lot of good memories in return thumbsup
Re front screen set up .............. on the Tambo campers they just fold down to give access and all that holds them up is the shock cord tension from the side curtains. The problem GC is having with the curtains rubbing tool box, they had panels sewn in as can be seen in the bottom pic, as they had the same problem on the early models released.

Note pic below it looks like they have wrapped lower hand brake mechanism in foam ? I would say to prevent chafing screen ?

1529958234_stone_tamer.jpg

Note in this pic that they have several shock cords that anchor and the others are allowed to slide in a sheath type set up . Maybe this is how they prevent the bunch up ?

1529961189_stone_stomper_4.jpg

1529957016_tambo_front_screen.jpg

1529957052_tambo_screen_1.jpg

Last edited by Bogger (26 June 2018 08:13 am)

nucopia
26 June 2018 03:35 pm

Thanks Bogger.
Its a bit of a mystery how the bloddy thing functions thats for sure. I have tried several ways to set up the net and attached it to the bungee cord. At first I threaded the cord on the outer two edges and clamped the netting over the cord this matde the net square and hold shape but when I rotated the front bar to simulate the turning of the vehicle the netting bunched. Next I swapped the cord for clothes line plastic rapt cord $5 for 30 mtres and then attached the bungee cord to the two outer edges using zip ties.I used snap hooks to fasten each end of the cord to the bottom of the camper and the front cross bar.. result was that the netting still bunched but not nearly as bad as before.. to me it looked as if the camper end of the netting needs to be attached in a fixed position and only the cord attached at the tow ball cross bar end allowed to stretch when the vehicle turns.. result..looked a lot better but it still made the netting bunch at the leading edge nearest the bar up to about a third of the way down the net and left a 12 to 15 inch gap between the edge of the net and the tow ball cross bar when return to nuetral position.
By this time it was late afternoon and I was feeling like crap yester day, so I packed up and left it over night.

I’m pretty sure what works is running the cord through loops attached to the netting, on both outer edges and down the side of the netting about 15 inches inside the outer edge.
Down the centre of the net in line with the tow ball and the center of the camper it does not matter so much to have movement, in fact I think the less movement towards the center of the netting in line with the tow ball helps keep the netting in place i.e its the pivot point around which the center of the netting turns. So havings minimal stretch there is probably something to aim for.
Here is a few pics of different aspects of the net.
This is netvfrom the camper towards the draw bar with the net (ground looking up) underneath view.
1529986795_4c2150a0-bdc2-4f16-8c0f-0d6acdfd5116.jpg
Side view showing outer edge
1529986980_8c5157be-b7dc-4195-bb89-43d6c7094519.jpg
Front of the net with the draw bar cut out. I think I need to experiment ways to attach the section to the cross bar
1529987046_8c28f2a3-06de-49d6-bcf5-ead36e375ef5.jpg

Camper end corner of net.
1529987417_f10066d5-e59b-4bcb-98ac-c81041eb35ce.jpg

Cross bar end corner of the net.
1529987498_0263bdf0-52d2-4941-80ca-4a75fad654fe.jpg

I think if I can get the two side edges functioning properly and the center of the net to keep an equie distance to the cross bar through a full range of motion during turning, then I might be a whole lot closer to solving the cunundrum smile

Will try and set it up again this afternoon and try out a few different configurations to see what works best..

Last edited by nucopia (26 June 2018 03:42 pm)

NAPFA Member

Bogger
Gone Walkabout
Gone Walkabout
26 June 2018 03:48 pm

Yes I think your on it thumbsup The only thing I can see in their set up is that the cord would be able to move freely in the sheathing that they have sewn to mesh. In saying that if you look in one of the vids on utube, when they take a left corner you can see that the outer of mesh does droop downward and it's not a really sharp turn, just a bend in the road. You might need to hook it up and take it for a drive with the wife videoing out the back window and see how it behaves ? Looking at their set up, I fail to see anything to take up the slack of mesh when the distance between trailer and vehicle decreases. A metre of mesh is a metre of mesh and there is nothing there to gather the slack when the distance decreases ? Maybe they just don't worry about it ? I'd love to see a turn in a car park for example. what their mesh does ? thumbsup

The second vid is an interesting set up ................. two arms but neither attached to vehicle thumbsup

Have a look at vid about 3.10 into it ..................... outer edge gets very loose.

Last edited by Bogger (26 June 2018 03:59 pm)

shakergt
26 June 2018 04:28 pm

Nucipa just an idea for you. You could possibly put a main switch between the battery and the start of your circuit. it helps for preventing things accidently being turned on or left on when the camper is not being used or set up. I put one in mine and it works a treat.

Like one of these

1529990922_s-l1600.jpg

nucopia
26 June 2018 07:02 pm

shakergt wrote:

Nucipa just an idea for you. You could possibly put a main switch between the battery and the start of your circuit. it helps for preventing things accidently being turned on or left on when the camper is not being used or set up. I put one in mine and it works a treat.

Like one of these

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … -l1600.jpg

Good idea Shakergt
That look pretty sweet..
Might be a better idea than using the reset circuit breaker as a switch smile
the 2 way switch I bought ages ago for the camper has grown legs and gotten lost sad
Im just waiting on a few fleabay deliveries before tackling the rest of the wiring, which is more of a mystery to me than this bleeding stone net is .. roll

Last edited by nucopia (26 June 2018 07:04 pm)

NAPFA Member

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site