Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prooz said:
G,day FNQ leave a bit for me at Yorkeys! I have the Nox. all charged up, but haven't turned it on yet. Looking forward to that.

Cheers

Hey Prooz, I plan to clean out the entire Marlin Coast! What I really want to do is head out to Georgetown and look for some gold! I like your profile picture nugget.

FNQ said:
Prooz said:
G,day FNQ leave a bit for me at Yorkeys! I have the Nox. all charged up, but haven't turned it on yet. Looking forward to that.

Cheers

Hey Prooz, I plan to clean out the entire Marlin Coast! What I really want to do is head out to Georgetown and look for some gold! I like your profile picture nugget.

I like to get out to Georgetown (Western Creek) but haven't been out since last October, but just had to come home early because of the heat. My profile picture nugget is from Western Creek, cleaned up 14.5 gram.

might see you about some time.

Cheers

Bought these waterproof* wireless sport headphones the other day to go with the NoX to make my adventures semi-amphibious. After a few outings I am impressed with my pruchase.

To give them a review of their gold-pulling power; before they were unpacked, crossing the road with parcel in hand, a bit of pavement gold caught my eye.....got to love urban prospecting. :eek:

1523671175_image.jpg

Wally69 said:
Bought these waterproof* wireless sport headphones the other day to go with the NoX to make my adventures semi-amphibious. After a few outings I am impressed with my pruchase.

To give them a review of their gold-pulling power; before they were unpacked, crossing the road with parcel in hand, a bit of pavement gold caught my eye.....got to love urban prospecting. :eek:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1916/1523671175_image.jpg

Hi Wally

There a good choice mate Ive got the same ones! fantastic battery life.
The only thing I find is though is they can hurt a bit after awhile until your ears get use to them but that may depend the actual shape of the persons ears.

Does anyone have any idea when the 15 inch coil is going to be released? Really doing well with the Nox but using the supplied standard coil on the beach is getting a bit annoying, just can't cover enough ground. In smallish parks the 11 inch is great and very good among the trash but to make the Nox a serious beach machine it needs the bigger coil.

Anyway here's to hoping it's released soon. :Y:

The main benefit of a bigger coil on the beach is you can overlap swings much easier and be sure you don't miss anything when upping the pace a bit. A bit of extra depth is always good too. Though with the 17" coil on the CTX I don't think it punches much deeper that the 11" (maybe it gives an extra inch or 2), still the main benefit is fast ground coverage.

goldwright said:
Little birdie told the 6 inch will be available by end of May then not long after the 15 maybe June.

Thanks mate, really can't see myself getting the 6 inch, how about yourself? Even in the trashiest spots I do the 11 inch seems to be great at separating out good targets from bad, I guess the 6 inch will just magnify that.

HoudiniHarry said:
So big question Heatho, after using the nox for a while how does it compare to the CTX?
In terms of depth.
Usability
bang for bucks.
Weight
Retrieval speed

And do you see a need for both detectors in the boot?

Cheers

Hey Harry.

Depth is good though not quite as good as the CTX in my opinion.

Usability is great, it's very easy to use, though I've never found the CTX difficult either.

Bang for buck is outstanding.

Weight is great for long detecting sessions on the beach in the heat.

It's a very fast detector with an excellent pinpointing function.

It's the discrimination that's nowhere near as good as the CTX. I won't be selling my CTX, I'm just about to go back to using it on the beach instead of the Nox, the 17 inch coil just covers so much ground very quickly that it's invaluable to me. The CTX easily discriminates beer bottle tops out very well also, the Nox struggles with them and I've been digging a lot of trash on the beaches with it, especially beer caps. You can discrim some out with the way they make the Nox behave but some brands of beer caps are impossible such as Heineken and Corona caps which both give a decent signal that doesn't change a lot.

When the 15 inch coil comes out the Nox will be a lot better on the beach, with the 11 inch coil on the beach it's like trying to paint a wall with a pencil. :Y:

Heatho said:
HoudiniHarry said:
So big question Heatho, after using the nox for a while how does it compare to the CTX?
In terms of depth.
Usability
bang for bucks.
Weight
Retrieval speed

Cheers

Hey Harry.

Usability is great, it's very easy to use, though I've never found the CTX difficult either.

Yeah my last detect on the beach was with the ctx 17 inch coil. Did not did up one beer top or bottle top except for a champagne cork top . I carry both detectors around and switch to the nox if im doing a surf hunt.

It's the discrimination that's nowhere near as good as the CTX. I won't be selling my CTX, I'm just about to go back to using it on the beach instead of the Nox, the 17 inch coil just covers so much ground very quickly that it's invaluable to me. The CTX easily discriminates beer bottle tops out very well also, the Nox struggles with them and I've been digging a lot of trash on the beaches with it, especially beer caps. You can discrim some out with the way they make the Nox behave but some brands of beer caps are impossible such as Heineken and Corona caps which both give a decent signal that doesn't change a lot.

When the 15 inch coil comes out the Nox will be a lot better on the beach, with the 11 inch coil on the beach it's like trying to paint a wall with a pencil. :Y:

Danny13 said:
Heatho said:
HoudiniHarry said:
In terms of depth.
Usability
bang for bucks.
Weight
Retrieval speed

Cheers

Hey Harry.

Yeah my last detect on the beach was with the ctx 17 inch coil. Did not dig up one beer top or bottle top except for a champagne cork top . I carry both detectors around and switch to the nox if I'm doing a surf hunt.

Heatho said:
goldwright said:
Little birdie told the 6 inch will be available by end of May then not long after the 15 maybe June.

Thanks mate, really can't see myself getting the 6 inch, how about yourself? Even in the trashiest spots I do the 11 inch seems to be great at separating out good targets from bad, I guess the 6 inch will just magnify that.

Nah the 6 inch coil will not be on my list the 11 does it pretty well. Maybe the 15 though will see. The 14x9 was just to heavy on the CTX and really did not offer much more coverage so dont know yet but a new toy is a new toy.

Heatho said:
goldwright said:

Electronics can only do so much when seperating out targets, I have no doubt the smaller coil will liberate some extra finds, though really only of benefit in extremely trashy areas or for relic hunting on iron infested sites. From the types of areas you detect, not sure how much more benefit the smaller coil will be, unless desperate to clean out masked targets from a flogged area.

Sometimes it can seem a bit underwhelming standing in a large park with a hockey puck coil attached to your detector. :D

Latest posts