something is bothering me

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In the good old days we ran the SD's, Extremes and GP's in Normal timings and found heaps of gold with it. Now with the GPX's in the Golden Triangle we have to use Enhance or Finegold. This bothers me, is there anybody out there with an explanation for this? :)

What coils were you using Hermann? DD or mono?

I still use normal with a mono here if the ground allows it.

Bugger! Damn stupid auto correct sorry mate

Mostly mono coils Steve,, my deepest piece was a 14gm specimen at a depth of 500mm. with a Coiltech UFO mono with an SD 2200.

Is it we cant or because we choose not to?
Sometimes we get so accustomed to picking up toddlers with fine gold we neglect to try other timings and target the bigger deeper bits.
Understandably, constant ground noise and fewer finds can do your head in and be disheartening but when it pays off. :Y:

Bloody auto correct!! Tiddlers not toddlers and when I tried to type hermann before it replaced it with hermaphroditism :mad:

Hi Steve, Good thinking, I will choose to use Normal timing more often from now on. I"m sick of picking up little crumbs, I don't get a kick out of it any more. And I will use the old Freddie FLinstone type coils. The modern flat wound coils maybe make it worse in Normal timing, and by the way, I'm a male not a snail. :lol:

Hermann, the 5000 makes it much easier to use Normal timing than any of the SD or GP's because you have so much more control. Rx Gain, Motion settings, optional Tracking Speeds, different Audio types etc etc. If you are getting tired of digging fly specks, get an 18" DD commander, or one of the old GP extreme 18" coils, or a 21x17" Detech DD and go for your life. But, you may then get sick of digging deep junk, and coming home goldless :|

But like with anything, at the end of the day, you gotta be in it to win it.

The 19" Evo ran pretty good in Normal timings at Maldon. Very stable for a spiral coil, just need to drop the Rx Gain.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/KDNEcNXJDmc[/video]

PhaseTech said:
The 19" Evo ran pretty good in Normal timings at Maldon. Very stable for a spiral coil, just need to drop the Rx Gain.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/KDNEcNXJDmc[/video]
Next time I hit a faint target using the 15 evo I'll switch to Normal with reduced RX and see how it compares, might be onto something here.
Great video and a lot to be taken from it, thanks for posting.

Hey PP, the trouble with doing that is that you're now covering a small area in Normal (just around the target).
That's how I pin-point (when I can), but using normal on larger search areas will drive you nuts in most of the GT IMHO.

Latest posts