Detecting with a legful of metal.. questions.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently began detecting but had a complete oversight regarding the fact my left leg is full of metal. An accident a couple of years ago resulted in me receiving a 32cm rod down the centre of my snapped tibia. (The thick shin bone) as well as 3 bolts ranging from my ankle to just under my knee cap. I'm not really sure what exact material it is and I'm getting much better at figuring the interference it creates and also how to lower the chances of interference.

When I detect my leg (using Garrett Ace 400i) it gives jumpy signals between 43 and 86 I guess the bolts may be different metal to the rod.

Some questions I was hoping to get some help with or maybe advice from anyone with similar issue are...

*I plan on buying a high level gold machine soon for a lengthy hunt and was wondering how much my leg would affect those machines? I'm currently using a low end coin and relic detector so unsure as to what the difference might be.

*Is there any ways of reducing the interference with any product that may block it like a wrap or something perhaps or something longshot like that?

*Any tips or discussion would be appreciated not sure if it's a major problem or not. I'm still beginning and having seriously less issues than when I began and whilst I'm figuring it and getting plenty of finds I'm mostly worried about a serious gold machine and wether there will be issues.

Thanks,
Jay

J Treasure said:
my left leg is full of metal. rod down the centre of my snapped tibia. (The thick shin bone) as well as 3 bolts ranging from my ankle to just under my knee cap.

Thanks,
Jay

I have exactly the same as you have.

GPX 4500 - any coil above a 11" give a signal
GPX 5000 - as above
GPZ 7000 - stronger signals
SDC 2300 - no interference at all, unless with 100mm of the leg.

To combat the interference I just changed step.
ie ; when the left foot is forward, the coil is swung towards the right hand side

Biggest coil I now swing is an 18" mono and using the above technique I have no problems at all.

Thankyou all for the replies. Might have a look into the sdc2300 it's not a machine I'd really considered was more looking at a 7000. Have learnt to adjust my step/swing as you referred to Redfin, just gotta get it to habit and remember to keep my leg away during a target dig. Was contemplating removing the hardware from my leg but not in a rush for more surgery if not needed.

Latest posts