Moranbah Diamonds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BrisJoe said:
I was wondering if anybody has found any Moranbah diamonds?
Now that I live up here, I intend to find a few.

I went looking yesterday in several places that 1 of my local mates said they are found but all I could find was notjing but iron rocks as far as the eye can see.

Anybody who has had a go got any tips?

Hay joe I'm living in Moranbah would you have any info of were I might find some Moranbah diamonds

Hay joe how's things. Not shore if you can help me but would you be willing to tell me we're I can find some Moranbah diamonds it would be much appreciated cheers

Gday Wilson, welcome to the forum.

Try Wally's advice above. Also, take note of what sorts of things are lying on the ground. I read earlier in this thread about petrified wood. It has been established that igneous processes are not necessary for the fossilization of wood to occur. Having said that, the geology of eastern QLD is very heavily igneous-derived and there can be a relationship. The gravel banks of parts of the Fitzroy river near Rockhampton are a mass of both petrified wood and waterworn quartz occurring together, including waterworn quartz crystals.

If you start seeing things like petrified wood, chalcedonies/agates, chunks of quartz etc, I'd be paying the ground close attention in that spot. Doesn't mean the Moranbah diamonds will definitely be there but if I see stuff like that lying on the ground, I always slow down for a good look.

1642542079_6d41b032-c921-4c3a-8868-4061ce849ff8.jpg

1642542080_43214061-5d86-465c-883d-f73a0b549971.jpg

One I found 40 yrs ago

I notice some comments above suggesting they are harder than quartz and have a different specific gravity - no, they are attractive transparent quartz with otherwise normal properties.

Goldierocks you appear to be a bit like myself as in a stickler for details :rolleyes::rolleyes: but I sure hope the members appreciate having some one with your knowledge and experience on board. 👍 Well done bloke for the time you take to pass on the knowledge 👍
Thanks. People can waste a lot of time and make incorrect identifications looking for differences that don't exist. I'm happy to increase their chances of success.

For those who might be interested, beautifully transparent (and coloured) quartz occurs in a few places in many states (eg in the Wedderburn and Strathbogie Ranges in Victoria), but is not widespread anywhere despite the widespread presence of quartz in gold deposits. The typical vein quartz of gold deposits is full of defects and fluid inclusions that make it look white (it is not actually white). Transparent quartz in such gold-quartz veins is usually confined to individual crystals that grow into open cavities in such veins. So not a good source of transparent quartz in adjacent streams. Transparent quartz is more common in granite areas (such as those mentioned above in Victoria), especially granite areas that have pegmatite veins - in fact most quartz can be transparent in areas of pegmatites..

Found on a farm where I used to work (Otjua) - some giants from this locality are doubly-terminated (and the coloured tourmalines are superb).

1673767219044.png

If you want to see some individual quartz crystals of this size (black) from the Strathbogie Ranges, visit:
https://aumuseums.com/vic/melbourne/house-bottles
The largest found in the Strathbogies was one metre long.

Here are some small black quartz crystals from the Strathbogies, with topaz crystals.

1673768187209.png
This cluster from Switzerland is around 300 Kg

Puts things in perspective

Last edited: