Central Queensland now has an Incorporated Metal detecting Club!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clegy

Justin Cleghorn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that escalated Quickly!

Back in December of last year I hit a local facebook group about interest in forming a club in the area for local detectorists.
Interest was luke warm and we put the idea on hold until January and the end of the silly season.

We announced a small informal gathering in Rockhampton at the end of January 2018 and to my absolute astonishment we had over 20 people show up and fill out registration forms to start an informal club.

Elections where held and through some political maneuvering (We made him the sole nominee LOL) we had Mark inserted as president of the club. A true gentleman and the perfect guy for the job.
I was elected vice pres/Treasurer and Anthony as secretary.

February we had another small meeting and elected to become an Incorporated Club in Queensland as we now had close to 30 members and interest was growing.

Mark smashed out the paperwork, we hit everyone for $20 in fees and Paid the fee to the Government with a tidy little stash left over.

The week after the meeting in March, the paperwork finally came through and we are an Official Incorporated organisation in Queensland.

Its super exciting as we have some pretty fun plans for the future including both members only and public events in the area, hence my post earlier about whats on around the place.

But Now the true work begins as we look for insurance policies and set up the financial structure of the club.

So if your in the Central Queensland area then please get in touch CQDETECTORISTS INC on Facebook and we will have communication set up for non facebook users soon. Just sorting out websites and everything as we speak.

If your outside the area please get in touch as we have been compiling a list of interested members and may expand the reach later on depending on how we go locally first.

Our main aim is to get out into the community and promote what we do and hopefully that will lead to some information, contacts and eventually some permissions on areas that would be hard to gain access to as an individual. EDUCATION is the keyword in all areas, to educate detectorists on the right way to do things and educating the locals on what detectorists do and how its often the history that's more important than a finds monetary value. (Except for gold LOL)

We also want to promote a social side to detecting as it can be a solitary hobby. Its nice to talk about sensitivity and the people around you know that your not talking about your feelings again and that its a serious topic. Had some great times hanging out with detectorists, such a wide variety of people I don't think many other hobbies share.

Like I said should be a blast, so jump on board if your in the area.

Clegy

Hi clegy, I have signed up for the group and have access to the Facebook group.
Im still 4 hours away from you guys, but Ill keep in touch and try to make some get togethers .
Matt T

Awesome, distance doesn't matter as we are looking to have the meetings live streamed for distance members.

Got a small meeting monday to get the abn, paypal and a few other small admin tasks done and then its full steam ahead.

Membership is $20 and we will start taking distance members on july 1 as soon as the fin year kicks over.

Thanks for the messages of support, this is going to be fun.

Clegy

Latest posts