Minelab SDC2300 On Bigger Targets

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have no doubt that sec works very well on finding small gold down to some very good depths.
What l would like to know is how good is it on finding larger nuggets at depth ?

My SDC picked up a solid nug weighing 1.8g at around 30cm. Started off a very quiet signal.

Also got a reefy nug of 1.25g at 20cm on the weekend.

I have confidence that it will pickup a large bit pretty deep, yet to confirm. Haha. Although i have dug rusty junk at over 30cm deep.

X terra gold.

I think with all detectors it comes down to the piece of gold. When I had my sdc I certainly dug a few deep junk signals - but can't remember depths exactly.

Recently however I found a 9 gram piece with the Z that was over a foot deep. A mate (forum member Elusive) was with me and we used his sdc to pinpoint it so I didn't have to dig a massive hole. We almost gave it away thinking it was ground noise with the Z because the sdc didn't pick it up until it was within 5-6 inches. That's a 9 gram, flat, big surface area nugget.

On my sdc training day a few years ago the training bloke reckoned the sdc would not go deeper than about 50 cm even on a multi ounce nugget. Unfortunately I never found a multi ounce nugget to test his hypothesis...or maybe he was right because I never did :eek:

Whatever the depth, it is still a great machine for finding many types of gold pieces that other machines miss :Y:

The SDC is pretty much designed for small targets in its pulse train and small coil .. maybe 10us or less even ..
so shooting for bigger deeper targets .. go for a 4500 or 5000 more versatile in its timings
for an SDC to find bigger targets bigger coils and variable fx
hope this helps
Gef

Sorry to disagree with the above but I came across a very faint signal once with my sdc and dug down the length of my pick 750 mm to find it was a 6 inch mains water pipe. So yes it will pick up larger targets at depth. Thought I was going to be rich there for a while. My wife won't let me forget it cos she was with me.

The SDC is pretty much designed for small targets in its pulse train and small coil .. maybe 10us or less even ..
so shooting for bigger deeper targets .. go for a 4500 or 5000 more versatile in its timings
for an SDC to find bigger targets bigger coils and variable fx

not saying you wont see big targets ... his (2300) brothers will pic them deeper :)

Hi Wishful, Don,t you hate it when that happens !! Thanks for the feedback. From what others are saying there's a great deal of variation. I guess what ground conditions are and detector settings you are using all make a difference.
Cheers x-terragold

Latest posts