Help with choosing a tent - Information & Questions.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
had a look at the roof top tents can get the kings ones fairly cheap and bugger all to set them up only thing is how annoying would the ladder in and out of bed be . was thinking of setting up on the tray of the ute on an raised platform so it was just above the drop sides making it not to high but would have to duck down to get into the entry way of the tent (not a big deal but weird ) this would give a very handy storage under the tent base ,also mounted like that the annex that can be purchased for the tent would be useless so a roll out annex off the side of the ute would be used .
most of the time infact almost always for the next few years this tent will only be for one night at a time camps no long stays so thats where i thought the roof top would shine over the others its just some where to sleep and thats all the stove and sitting in the shade area would be under the roll out awning .that cheap 4wd place has a combo with the rooftop tent and a 2.5x2.5 m roll out awning ( adventure kings ) for 700 bucks could add one side to the awning for a wind break for a few more bob . anyway i will keep researching today see if i can make up my mind . i realy like the oztent tents and would rather buy quality but for the amount we will use not sure it would be worth it .

johno

I went through all the same thoughts and research before I brought my roof top tent. I even brought an Oztent RV4 and used it for a small trip before selling it. Great tent but its still quite long and heavy packed up. Still needed to take bedding and lights etc. Plus with the slop at thr rear kept hitting my head.

Look at the Gordigear Rooftop tents and awnings. A few hundred more then the Kings Range, but trust me you will not be disappointed with the quality and service. They are based out of Gold Coast somewhere. You won't find a bad word or review about them unlike the Kings.

I just wack mine on my trialer so can leave set up at site and still drive around etc. Ladder is not an issue. It's amazing being up higher with the breeze and windows all round.

Comes with 80mm foam matress and can leave pillows and bedding always in there. Has lights inside to and pockets. Very roomy. About 2.4 long buy 1.5m wide once open. Only takes a few mins to set up and back away.

1522791187_smartselectimage_2018-04-04-07-21-42.jpg

1522791235_smartselectimage_2018-04-04-07-22-48.jpg

they do look good .looking at the web site now they are twice the price of the kings though .need to look into it more .crikey i think my head is just about over this research and trying to work out what will work best for us .

johno

Dig'n-it said:
I have a Black Wolf Turbo. It is brilliant. It is very well designed with gusseted windows and is truly a rapid pitch tent. They are certainly worth comparing at about the same price.

yes Andy and you think Jeeps are good !!!!!! he he just kidding

We had an OZ tent 3 then 4 and now 5. The problem is the packed up length and the lifting to the roof rack and by the time you roll out your swag in them there is no floor space left for much else. If you use the convoluted front annex, you might get it up before its time o come home !!!!
We reverted back to the old fashioned Southern Cross canvas tent we have had for 20 years. 10 x 10 with the side pole kit. Goes up as quick as you can hammer in 4 pegs and raise the roof.Packs up easy and smallish.

GT :)

texta said:
they do look good .looking at the web site now they are twice the price of the kings though .need to look into it more .crikey i think my head is just about over this research and trying to work out what will work best for us .

johno

The kings will probably do the job, every man and his dog has them in Vic. But they also just pump them out and there has been lots of quality issues. Depending on where you are also in Aus. The kings have been known not to handle the heavy rain and wind like the other ones which are treated better.

texta said:

johno

Sadly it will not matter as there will always be a short fall no matter what you decide upon ;)
Ideally one would have several set ups to suit different scenarios, but as the money tree only has limited branches this is not always possible.
If it helps, I have found all you can do is try and settle on the set up that ticks the most box's and then improvise the rest . Good luck with it all :Y:

A friend of mine had an oz tent RV4 and sold it because it used to always get a heap of condensation inside it when ever he used it no matter what he did.

From memory Southern Cross safari tents are made of 100% cotton canvas hence the long life. Cheaper tents and swags are because the canvas is a polyester / cotton blend and doesn't have the durability or breathing qualities that true cotton canvas has. If looking at cheaper products ask sales person what is the blend % of polyester.

Detectorist said:
I went through all the same thoughts and research before I brought my roof top tent. I even brought an Oztent RV4 and used it for a small trip before selling it. Great tent but its still quite long and heavy packed up. Still needed to take bedding and lights etc. Plus with the slop at thr rear kept hitting my head.

Look at the Gordigear Rooftop tents and awnings. A few hundred more then the Kings Range, but trust me you will not be disappointed with the quality and service. They are based out of Gold Coast somewhere. You won't find a bad word or review about them unlike the Kings.

I just wack mine on my trialer so can leave set up at site and still drive around etc. Ladder is not an issue. It's amazing being up higher with the breeze and windows all round.

Comes with 80mm foam matress and can leave pillows and bedding always in there. Has lights inside to and pockets. Very roomy. About 2.4 long buy 1.5m wide once open. Only takes a few mins to set up and back away.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...1187_smartselectimage_2018-04-04-07-21-42.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...1235_smartselectimage_2018-04-04-07-22-48.jpg

Not a bad set up. Have a water tank?

davent said:
Detectorist said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...1187_smartselectimage_2018-04-04-07-21-42.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...1235_smartselectimage_2018-04-04-07-22-48.jpg

Not a bad set up. Have a water tank?

Sure does, has a 80L flat caravan one mounted underneath just above the axle. I underslang the axle and added the mud tyres for height to help with room for the tank. That blue container also holds 30L with a tap and is good for washing hands and dishes etc.

Has a 100amp battery and full 240/12V set up inside. Which powers my waeco 65L, LED strip litting and any small appliances (detector battery charger mainly :) ) for 3-4 days. I have an Anderson plug with portable solar if I need to charge whilst bush.

shakergt said:
A friend of mine had an oz tent RV4 and sold it because it used to always get a heap of condensation inside it when ever he used it no matter what he did.

I am camped up in the high country in the RV4 atm. Properly set up with the fly there no condensation what so ever. We are both tall and have no problems sleeping without touching canvas.

Redfin said:
shakergt said:

I am camped up in the high country in the RV4 atm. Properly set up with the fly there no condensation what so ever. We are both tall and have no problems sleeping without touching canvas.
i am reading all i can at the moment and a lot of people seem to have problems with the condensation in the RV tents yet some people such as you just said dont have the problem , maybe its to do with to much heavy breathing or to many people crammed into the tent .also reading up on the turbo tents as well .

johno

I got a RV2,
use it 1-2 times a month, around the Hill End or Turon area.
No leaks or condensation, as others have said use a fly and keep top vents open.

Was at Hill End early March for a week, a powerful storm hit and the Oz tent weathered well.

cheers
Marko

1522911925_20171125_065005.jpg

Sorry, my anal perversion on spelling and grammar.
I BOUGHT IT FROM HARRY And BROUGHT IT TO THE CAMP SITE.
Oops two glasses of red , my apologies BUT!!!!
Mackka
Ps
I love the set ups and It reminds me of the the army tent I bought, canvas of course, and the trailer I had to buy to carry the bloody thing around. 2 hour setup, crap!
Good times :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes OzzieAu,

Came with the draws, Drifta are a sweet bit of kit, Aussie made but expensive.
Got one of their wrap around awnings as well, but only use it if away for longer than a weekend.

Latest posts